Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cost of Extra Suitcases on Airplane  (Read 1163 times)

• Liked: 0
Cost of Extra Suitcases on Airplane
« on: September 01, 2003, 04:19:06 AM »
Hi guys,

I'll be moving to London in early October, from New York:

The things I want to bring over would fit into a mid-size car, or roughly 4 heavy suitcases.  I doesnt seem like shipping this via container is necessary.  

Do airlines still accept excess baggage with the heightened security concerns these days?  

Also any ballpark figures for 3 extra suitcases greatly appreciated (car not included).  If this costs more than $1000 I might want to consider a plan B.  

Thanks!
Max

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Cost of Extra Suitcases on Airplane
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 12:02:26 PM »
When we fly from TN, they allow us 2 bags per person, no matter what their size.  Generally the cost for extra bags are very expensive, as in a couple hundred dollars.  I'm sure you can just ring up any airline and they'll let you know how they calculate the costs.

Good luck!  :)

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 12:07:58 PM »
Funnily enough I just watched a thing about this on the news-their advise, yes do it, but talk to the airline beforehand, just don't show up with tons of extra luggage.  

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 03:27:34 PM »
When we were coming over, we talked about doing this and we rang all the major airlines and asked for the fees.  I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact amounts but just just call them... it's a common question and very quick to get an answer.

I think most of the websites have the information as well...
Continental
British Airways (no specific prices)
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 03:30:22 PM »
Hi guys,

I'll be moving to London in early October, from New York:

The things I want to bring over would fit into a mid-size car, or roughly 4 heavy suitcases.  I doesnt seem like shipping this via container is necessary.  

Do airlines still accept excess baggage with the heightened security concerns these days?  

Also any ballpark figures for 3 extra suitcases greatly appreciated (car not included).  If this costs more than $1000 I might want to consider a plan B.  

Thanks!
Max

My advice is to RUN (don't walk) to your nearest post office and ship your items via ground shipping.  It's a fraction of the price of air mail and takes anywhere from three to six weeks.  I shipped a huge amount of personal belongings from the US to the UK for less than $700 using the USPS.  Don't bring four suitcases on a plane.  They'll just lose them anyway.

Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 09:42:47 PM »
Hey now Max,

On American, they *usually* charge about $100 extra per bag (beyond the 2 that can be checked.) Call your airlines, explain your moving situation and see what the prices are. Never know, they could hook you up. When my boyfriend was moving home from Florida to the UK, he left from JFK on American Airlines. He had two checked bags plus a guitar case. Once the check in guy heard he was moving home, he just let him check the guitar case for free (the flight was underbooked as well.) So, give me a call, you never know!

I put a bunch of stuff I needed into a large box and weighed it. Came to about 70 pounds. The Post Office was going to charge almost $200 for standard sea travel and it wouldnt arrive for 4-6 weeks. Sometimes it pays to just use the airlines because they're prices are lower~ let me know how it goes.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 03:39:01 PM »
Just a thought, but how about you try and cram the essentials into just 2 cases, leave the other 2 with a friend or your folks, then take a vacation back home in 3 months time, bringing back the other 2 cases. The money you save on excess baggage can be put towards the holiday trip.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 03:40:04 PM »
PS Summer clothes could be part of what you leave behind for collection later.

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 03:41:02 PM »
Hey now Max,

On American, they *usually* charge about $100 extra per bag (beyond the 2 that can be checked.) Call your airlines, explain your moving situation and see what the prices are. Never know, they could hook you up. When my boyfriend was moving home from Florida to the UK, he left from JFK on American Airlines. He had two checked bags plus a guitar case. Once the check in guy heard he was moving home, he just let him check the guitar case for free (the flight was underbooked as well.) So, give me a call, you never know!

I put a bunch of stuff I needed into a large box and weighed it. Came to about 70 pounds. The Post Office was going to charge almost $200 for standard sea travel and it wouldnt arrive for 4-6 weeks. Sometimes it pays to just use the airlines because they're prices are lower~ let me know how it goes.

That sounds outrageously expensive, even for the post office.  A mere 2 years ago I shipped a dozen boxes weighing around 40-50 pounds APIECE for less than a grand.
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 04:53:08 PM »
Per the USPS website, the maximum weight that can be sent to Great Britain and Northern Ireland is 66 pounds per box. That equals $119.75

Two boxes at 132 pounds total would be $239.50 for "global economy mail."

maybe im looking at something different then what you guys are referring to :-/
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

Sponsored Links