Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Re: Triggers  (Read 1479 times)

• Maggie
  • Liked: 0
Re: Triggers
« on: September 01, 2003, 01:03:21 AM »
Hello!  If you just make any kind of dough recipe (basic one, nothing fancy or sweet)...not a crumbly, roll out on to floured surface, cut bits in to like 4x4 squares (or as big as you want your perogie to be)...fill with potato and cheese, sauerkraut, potato and onion, or whatever other flavor perogie you like and fold over to a traingle and fold over then pinch the edges being careful not to make holes.  Put some salted water on to boil....carefully lower the perogies in the water and when they float...they are done...like those potato dumplin things you get in the store.  Serve with fried onions, sour cream, or a little applesauce and yuuuummmmy!

Do you really want the recipe for shoo-fly pie?  I do have it in my Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book...I would be happy to put it on here for you....also have a yummy one for funnel cakes

Monica
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 01:24:51 AM »
Mindy...by chance have a good recipe for Shoo Fly Pie?

No, but I know a woman who does.   :)

Do you really want the recipe for shoo-fly pie?  I do have it in my Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book...I would be happy to put it on here for you....

Yes, please.   :)  Shoo-fly pie........mmmmmmm.

• Maggie
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 02:30:22 AM »
Shoo-Fly pie  (Old Lehigh County Recipe)

Pastry (use two thirds recipe)
3 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup Lard or other shortening
5 tablespoons cold water
Sift the flour and salt together. Cut in the lard with a pastry belnder or two kinives until pieces are the size of small peas.  Gradually sprinkle water over mixture, mixing lightly with a fork after each addition; add only enough water to hold pastry together.  Roll out on floured service and fit in to pie pan. Don't stretch pastry when fitting into pan, as this will cause shrinkage in finished product.  

That done continue on with pie filling....

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter or lard
1/2 cup light molasses
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Combine flour and sugar.  Cut in bitter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly.  Set aside. Mix together the molasses, water and baking soda.  Divide evenly between two pastry lined 8-in pie pans. Top each one wiht one-half of the crumbs. Bake at 450 degrees 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 20 minutes longer or until firm.  Makes two 8 inch pies.  

I did make this in the states and it was OK...still like buying them with Tasty Cakes in the store or having my Aunt make them...tastes soooo much better.  This cookbook is great and so old, some of the stuff is quite gross (to me anyway) but tons of stuff is yummy...if you can think of anything else, I will see if it is in here for you...

All the best,
Monica
RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

Re: Perogies and Shoo-fly pie (A PA Dutch Theme)
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 02:41:34 PM »
Mindy...by chance have a good recipe for Shoo Fly Pie?

i have never heard of "shoo fly pie", but i am 99.9999% sure that pierogies are originally a Polish[/b] dish, not Dutch...

i have a Polish heritage.  (Russian Grandmother, Grandfather was from Poland, and lived in a community in northern WI which was full of relocated Poles.)

Anyway, a family friend, Marishka Majewski (can't get any more Polish than that....lol), also from Poland, used to make the best damn pierogies i, and many others, have ever had.  (i will share her recipe with all of you as soon as i retrieve my personal cookbook from the states...)

Various cultures call pierogies by different names: to the Poles they are called pierogis; to the Jews they are pirogen; to the Russians they are pelmeny and arenike; and even ravioli to the Italians. To everyone else, they are just incredibly delicious. ;D
(the Polish call them pierogis, which translated into English means "small pies".)

they are pasta dough usually filled with either potato and cheddar cheese or a potato onion mixture blended with other natural ingredients and spices. also, sour kraut and sausage are popular.

although they are served many ways, pierogies are usually boiled, pan-fried in butter, or baked, with sour cream as an accompaniment.  also good with garlic butter with chives and/or sauteed onions poured on top.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 02:43:29 PM by Lost_Angel »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 03:36:56 PM »

i have never heard of "shoo fly pie", but i am 99.9999% sure that pierogies are originally a Polish[/b] dish, not Dutch...

i have a Polish heritage.  (Russian Grandmother, Grandfather was from Poland, and lived in a community in northern WI which was full of relocated Poles.)

I'll second that as my Great Grand-Parents (maternal) were Russian/Polish and went to NE Pennsylvania during the War in 1910 or so.  Step father is Dutch (Netherlands variety...I know PA Dutch is slightly different) and never had them before.

Oh how I miss pierogies so much!!!!! I'm not kitchen-inclined so would make a complete disaster of it if I tried to make them.  Hubby doesn't know what they are but tolerates me scanning every supermarket we go to looking for them...just in case! Maybe one day......

I never cared much for shoo-fly pie but could certainly do with a funnel cake right about now.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 05:48:40 PM »
i have never heard of "shoo fly pie", but i am 99.9999% sure that pierogies are originally a Polish dish, not Dutch...

Um, yeah.  This topic was actually split from another topic, hence the odd combination of food.  Pierogies are Polish, but if we're going to be pedantic-PA Dutch people/food are actually German.  It comes from the word Deutch-which is German for um, German.  

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 07:58:42 PM »
I wasn't trying to be pedantic by replying to the statement.... I just didn't know it was split from a different thread either.   :(  Sorry if I contributed to any offence.  :-[ :-X

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 08:34:36 PM »

Um, yeah.  This topic was actually split from another topic, hence the odd combination of food.  Pierogies are Polish, but if we're going to be pedantic-PA Dutch people/food are actually German.  It comes from the word Deutch-which is German for um, German.  

sorry, i didn't see the other topic...  and i wasn't trying to be rude or PEDANTIC, either.   ::)

pierogies are yummie, and i will try to post that recipe as soon as i find it...! ;D
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 01:05:19 PM »
[color=ff33ff]this recipe is from Poland.   it belongs to my grandparents' friend, Mrs. Bruno Majewski, who came from Poland, along with my family, to live in the USA in the early 1950's.

for those of you that aren't Polish, or have never had a pierogi before, you are missing out!   basically, they are the Polish equivilent to the Italian ravioli, only better, in my eyes.  ;D  

they can be filled with a variety of ingredients, such as: Potato and Cheese, Sweet Potato, Ground Beef, Sauerkraut, Polish Sausage, Mushrooms, Spinach, Blueberries, etc.   (my favourite is Potato and cheese... sauerkraut and sausage are yummie, too!)  

It is traditionally served with melted butter poured over the top.  (DON'T use margarine, as it tastes like crap...)  i also like to add garlic to the butter, and also a bit of herbs, such as chives or dill.  i have also heard of people serving them with gravy, but i guess it depends on the filling and your personal taste.

anyway, these are the best pierogis in the universe, and aren't that difficult to make...  just a bit time-consuming, but well worth it.   ;D[/color]

PIEROGI

dough ingredients:
1 egg
3 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. water
1/8 tsp salt

Dough:
Combine ingredients.  Knead dough.  Roll dough 1/8 inch thick.  Cut into 3 inch circles w/a cookie cutter.

Filling:
Put a teaspoon of filling onto each circle of dough.  Press edges together.  Put pierogi in rapidly boiling water for 5 minutes.  Drain.

Serve with melted butter.

Beef Filling:
Brown 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef w/salt, pepper and onions.

Sauerkraut Filling:
Drain 1 can of sauerkraut.  Grind kraut w/2 sticks of Polish sausage in a meat grinder.  Heat.

enjoy! ;D

love,
Angel

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 02:52:44 PM »
 Hey there Angel,

Long time no type ;D  Hope that you have been doing well.

Ta for this recipie.It sounds very easy.I have tried to make home made pasta ie ravioli before,and it never came out right though :(
              Iam going to fix some Pierogi me thinks tonight

Rhia

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2004, 05:33:24 PM »
what time shall i be over then?  ;)

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 05:37:23 PM »

Hmmm not sure yet,let me get my lear jet going,and I will send someone over to collect ya , :P ;D hehehehehehe.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 05:43:29 PM »
;D   let me know how they turn out!

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 07:21:02 PM »
Ok I've never tried pierogies. :o But I have a question. In the grocery stores around here they have frozen potato and cheese pierogies. I believe the name brand is Mrs. T's. They look good and I've always wanted to try them but was afraid to. Has anybody here ever eaten them and do they taste at all like the real thing? and how would you prepare them and what do you serve them with? Thanks :)

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 08:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the recipe! I'm not particularly kitchen-friendly as I can rarely get anything to come out right no matter how simple.  >:(  But I very well may give this a go!  :-/

As for Mrs T's frozen ones, Melissa, I thought they were pretty darn yummy (although not quite as good as grandma's old homemade ones but certainly a good replacement.....) so go on and give them a try!!

I could also recommend pan frying them in butter as they are really good that way as well. Not sure if that's very traditional or not, though, but I don't think it really matters.

Sigh. I want some now.  :( At least I've got myself a nice mini-care package of Mac & Cheese, Fritos and Hershey Kisses to drown my home hunger-sickness.

Sponsored Links