Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal/child support payments  (Read 1193 times)

• Liked: 0
Spousal/child support payments
« on: June 17, 2005, 08:07:53 AM »
I'm moving to Scotland in August with my second husband, a UK citizen, and my son from my first marriage.

I will continue to receive support payments from my ex-husband, but am unsure how to set up the transfer process. Can anybody help? Will I need to retain a U.S. Account? Or can I just have my support payment sent to my UK address and then deposit into my husband's account or one of my own? (I am not currently a signer on his UK account; I hope to establish my own account once I get there).

Anyway, I'm very excited to be moving but having trouble figuring out how to deal with this issue.  I appreciate any suggestions/experiences you could share.

Thanks!

Sharon
Y Gwir yn Erbyn y Byd - Truth Against the World

• Liked: 8
Re: Spousal/child support payments
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 08:11:54 AM »
You can keep your US account -- your ex can deposit the cheque into there (or can have a direct debit set up).  You can access that money with your ATM card over here (though beware that you'll probably, depending on your bank, be charged about $5 whenever you withdraw, so it's worth it to take it all out at once) or you can transfer that money to a UK account using PayPal.  If you transfer the money to your DH's UK account, he can get it out for you (or you can use his ATM card) until you get your name on the account (which, frankly, could take quite a while depending on your situation and your DH's bank).

In the short run, it's probably best to maintain your US account.  Once you're settled over here and have your own account or have been added to DH's, then the ex can send a cheque over for you to deposit here.

• Liked: 0
Re: Spousal/child support payments
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 12:12:10 AM »
Thank you so much! It's almost too easy...but of course it makes total sense. Much better than paying $50 for an international wire transfer, which is what my bank quoted me for this service!

I do appreciate the help!

Sharon
Y Gwir yn Erbyn y Byd - Truth Against the World

Sponsored Links