Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Nationality Clause  (Read 1525 times)

Nationality Clause
« on: September 02, 2003, 10:20:29 PM »
Ok so a really good job came up (Inland Revenue) and l want to apply for it but, it has a Nationality Clause in it................

"In order to join the Civil Service you must be a national of the UK (holder of a current UK passport), a Commonwealth citizen or a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) which is make up of the Member States of the European Union or the European Free Trade Area. Additionally the Civil Service Nationality Rules require us to reserve to UK nationals posts that are directly involved in individual taxpayers' affairs. These are known as reserved posts. Citizens of the Commonwealth, EEA as well as the UK are eligible to apply for posts that are not directly involved in taxpayers' affairs and these are known as nonreserved."

So does this mean l am not eligible? l called the Job Centre and the woman told me to go ahead and apply but to include a short statement telling them l am married to a UK citizen and l am here legally with my ILR and l pay taxes.

What are your opinions?  

• Garden Butterflies
  • Liked: 0
Re: Nationality Clause
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 11:11:28 PM »
Apply for it and see what happens...  will never know unless you try...  if they say no...cry family rights or something....

Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 11:58:59 PM »
The woman at the JobCentre gave good advice. Explain your situation. Applying can't hurt you any. Good luck!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 05:09:10 PM »
I agree with my colleagues in this issue Miss Trish!  Yeah, go on - go for it.  What can it hurt?  You would be no worse off than you are now if they say no.  BUT they could say yes.  Thats the beauty of it.  

Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 06:41:10 PM »
My hubby is a civil servant and has it on good authority that you can't be employed by the civil service at all until you are a legal naturalised citizen.  So I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.  

Still though...can't hurt to try!  :)

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 03:28:53 PM »
Ok so a really good job came up (Inland Revenue) and l want to apply for it but, it has a Nationality Clause in it................

"In order to join the Civil Service you must be a national of the UK (holder of a current UK passport), a Commonwealth citizen or a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) which is make up of the Member States of the European Union or the European Free Trade Area. Additionally the Civil Service Nationality Rules require us to reserve to UK nationals posts that are directly involved in individual taxpayers' affairs. These are known as reserved posts. Citizens of the Commonwealth, EEA as well as the UK are eligible to apply for posts that are not directly involved in taxpayers' affairs and these are known as nonreserved."

So does this mean l am not eligible? l called the Job Centre and the woman told me to go ahead and apply but to include a short statement telling them l am married to a UK citizen and l am here legally with my ILR and l pay taxes.

What are your opinions?  

I say go for it...you're a resident.  The worst they can do is say no.
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 09:40:23 PM »
Trish, it's possibly just a technicality anyway. Even if you might not be planning to go for naturalization, you're certainly eligible for it after you've been here three years on your spouse visa.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab