Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Britishness Test  (Read 1253 times)

The Britishness Test
« on: September 06, 2003, 10:15:35 AM »
This is something that has been in the newspaper a couple times this past week whereby it's being proposed that immigrants applying for naturalisation will be required to pass a "Britishness Test".  Apparently if one flunks the test, it won't effect a person's ability to reside in the UK, but they won't be able to vote or obtain a UK passport.  Here's an article from The Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-802619,00.html

I understand the thinking behind it, but not sure I agree with it.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 10:17:18 AM by elle »

Re: The Britishness Test
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2003, 02:48:40 PM »
I personally agree with this.  I think if you want to become a citizen you should make an effort to become a part of that society, which to me, would involve learning everything you can.  I scored ok, would probably pass-James didn't do any better so I'm not too disapointed.   :)

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2003, 04:53:09 PM »
This is something that has been in the newspaper a couple times this past week whereby it's being proposed that immigrants applying for naturalisation will be required to pass a "Britishness Test".  Apparently if one flunks the test, it won't effect a person's ability to reside in the UK, but they won't be able to vote or obtain a UK passport.  Here's an article from The Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1-802619,00.html

I understand the thinking behind it, but not sure I agree with it.  What do you think?

Read my comment on the BBC's "Have Your Say" section:

I don't have a problem with taking a test for citizenship. My native country has one. What I DO have a problem with is the racist attitude of many British people who feel that immigrants like myself should bend over backwards to assimilate. If immigrants are to take a test to become citizens, perhaps the British could take courses to learn to be less racist. That would be wonderful.
Stacey Turner, UK (ex-USA)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3077240.stm
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2003, 05:22:24 PM »
I actually find racism to be less rife in the U.K than in some other places, but thats just me. I think its something that gets perpetuated through the press and media and then preys upon peoples fears which I,ve always felt was the underlying reason for racism to begin with .......Fear.

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 05:42:05 PM »
I actually find racism to be less rife in the U.K than in some other places, but thats just me. I think its something that gets perpetuated through the press and media and then preys upon peoples fears which I,ve always felt was the underlying reason for racism to begin with .......Fear.

People I've met here in England are far more racist than people I knew in the U.S.  I've heard my neighbors use words like "n****r" and "Pakistani" and they think they're nice people.  The receptionist in my office is a racist.  A lot of my co-workers are racist.  My mother in law is racist.  My ex-boss from my old company is racist.  I hear racist comments nearly every day in public here.  It's really disgusting.

I know a Mexican couple who used to live in Manchester...they were targeted for racist abuse, though their attackers thought that this Mexican couple was actually Asian.  Their three year-old daughter was even targeted.  They've only had the odd racist comment since they moved to York, a much more "progressive" city...better, but still unacceptable.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 06:02:31 PM by staceyturner »
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 09:05:01 PM »
I agree, it is disgusting but the type of racism youre describing is very overt. Racism comes in many guises. As patriotic as I am I really believe this country (America) has got light years to go before it comes to grips with ALL the various forms of it. The American media and the British media to a great extent perpetuate it in the never ending search for ratings, readership, and for a greater extent MONEY 8) The documentary Bowling for Columbine is one of the latest and more interesting exposures of this.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 09:11:50 PM by CeltictotheCore »

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 11:03:18 PM »
Stacey,

I don't agree with your comment on that site.  I believe that I chose to move here, so it's up to ME to assimilate.  I agree that racism is intolerable, but I don't expect the British people to bend over backwards for ME because I'm used to things being a different way.

Sure, I may not like the way things are done... and I may even b*tch about them on here. But I don't criticize them and I don't expect them to change.  I have to be the flexible one and I accepted that the moment I stepped off the plane.

And I have the same attitude for people of other nations coming to the USA.  You CHOSE to come here, YOU need to be the one to adapt.  I have no problems retaining my beliefs and heritage... I will still celebrate Thanksgiving and the 4th of July... just as I feel it's important for anyone to celebrate their heritage.  But you also have to embrace the culture of your new home.  If you don't do that, then why did you bother moving?  If you want it to be like "home" then go back there.

I personally have not, to my knowledge, experienced any racism directed toward me, nor have I noticed any to any other minority.  On the whole, the people I meet are nice and accepting.  Sure, someone might be a jerk to me... but he's a jerk to everyone!! It might have something to do with where I live, or it might have something to do with the fact that I don't think I put a "confrontational" vibe out there.  I'm pretty easy-going and I think people pick up on that and treat me the same way.

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences and that those experinces have made you bitter.  I hope in time you can come to terms with your situation and make peace with it.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2003, 01:40:25 AM »
The older I get the more I honestly believe that racism is a trump card used by governments to hide their shortcomings. Its so easy and convenient to imply these shortcomings are a result of immigration and so who's the easy target? Yeah you guessed it. And what does the press do? Throw gas on the fire by highlighting the story of someone living in Manchester or London duping the system for benefits and freebies, not caring that ALL immigrants then get painted with a broad brush whether their plight is legitimate or not. Maybe I'm a by-product of the 60's but I don't trust the press to report impartially anymore than I can" pick em up and throw em". Playing upon peoples fears....Government and the Press have been playing that game for a long long time. 8)

Ps.......Big Business play the game very well too , after all theres a huge profit to be made from it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2003, 01:48:35 AM by CeltictotheCore »

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2003, 09:12:46 AM »
I think my overall problem with this test is that they indicate if you fail, it won't effect your residency.  So in other words, they won't give you a passport or allow you to vote, but they'll let you live here, live off their public funds once you're eligible, partake of the NHS scheme, and work and pump your tax money into their economy.  Seems a bit of a double standard.  If I have to take a test on my "Britishness" to apply for citizenship, so be it, but there'd better be a class to take somewhere because just reading the newspaper hasn't helped me learn diddley squat that would cause me to pass the test.  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 09:39:10 PM »
Elle, my understanding was that there were going to be some sort of "classes" available for the testing, much like in the States.  I DO agree with your point about "taxation without representation" (to borrow a phrase I've heard somewhere before  ;) ).  That's part of my problem with them not allowing you to work on a Fiancee Visa - they'll take the VAT on everything you purchase whilst living here, but won't let you work to help afford it!!   :P
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 10:53:58 PM »
I've read the consultation paper put out on this subject and to be honest, I think it's a great idea!  Here's the addy if you wanna see the paper with all the recommendations -

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/default.asp?pageid=4050

They're looking for people with ideas and comment if you want to have your say!  

There are going to be classes, and they'll be geared just for taking the test.  It seems like they are genuinely trying to generate enthusiasm and patriotism here...which I think some natives could even stand having a dose of.  I don't mind taking a test at all, personally and I'm looking forward to my 'party'!  :)

Sponsored Links