Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not sure what type of visa I should apply for....  (Read 750 times)

• Liked: 0
Not sure what type of visa I should apply for....
« on: June 28, 2005, 02:41:10 PM »
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so.. hello to everyone.
To kind of start things of I'm just going to write out the basicis of my situation, I'm 19 years old, and an american citizen, 2 years ago I met a girl from English girl from Glasgow (she moved to Glasgow, I know Glasgow isn't in England  ;) ) When she was in America as an exchange student, and of course I had to fall victim to the biggest cliche in the world, falling in love with the foreign exchange student... the biggest problem is though, life definately isn't a fairy tale, and getting to the happy ending hasn't been easy thus far. so this is where I'm at right now; for the past year her and I have been travelling back and forth between the US and UK to visit each other. I've decided that I think it's time for me to move to the UK, for her, and for myself, seeing as how I've fallen in love with the country in my visits there. The problem is though, I'm not sure what kind of visa I should apply for. I'm planning on applying to school for the 2006/07 term, but I'm not sure if I should apply for a student visa or not. It seems like it would be the most obvious visa to apply for, but I'm not sure how its going to work out at the end of my term. I would plan on completing a 4 year course, but what happens at the end of that course? would I have to leave the country? or could I apply for citizenship? or would it be better to apply for a different type of visa? I don't want to get married just for the sake of getting a visa, I'd much rather wait until my girlfriend and I actually wanted to get married...

anyway though, that's my story... any advice or... anything would be much appreciated...

cheers,
Dan

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
Re: Not sure what type of visa I should apply for....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 02:52:43 PM »
I am going on a student visa, living with my brit bf and he's sponsoring me monetarily. My course is for my masters and it's only 1 year. We said that is plenty of time to know if we want to get married. 4 years should be plenty. More than likely you'll get married at the end of your course. If not, it is possible and likely that you can get a job in the UK and a company will sponsor your visa b/c you have a UK degree - it'll make all the difference. Otherwise, 4 years is a long time and a lot can change - go for it and worry about the end in about 3 more years.

Good luck!!!

Where are you applying?
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the response, you could be on to something there  :) that is pretty much what I've been leaning towards, I just posted to make sure there wasnt some glaringly obvious route that I was missing. And to answer your question (which actually raises another student visa question) I'm applying to Glasgow Metropolitan College to take a foundation course in architectural design. After that course, since its only a one year course aimed to build a portfolio I'd like to go to the Macintosh Design Centre at the Glasgow School of Art to study architecture, now the question that raises is this: assuming I get into Glasgow Metropolitan and get a visa for a one year course, then I transfer and go to the Macintosh Design Centre, would I have to completely re-apply for a student visa or is there a way to extend it?

cheers,
Dan

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 03:25:26 PM »
Good question - I'd post that on the visa board. They generally give you more than a year on a 1 yr course for your visa. That being said, it is possible (but I'm not any kind of expert) that it could be extended or redone while you're there. Definitely post on the visa board for a more factual answer. May even be worth a call (despite the cost) to the consulate.

That course sounds awesome :)

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 03:34:24 PM »
I think I will call the consulate for that one, just because it's something I should probably know rather than think I know :P by the way a question for you specifically.. how long did it take to get your student visa, after you got your letter of acceptance from the school ? just so I can get a better idea of how much time this will take, I've seen numbers all voer the board online, so... would be nice to hear from someone I know has one. I'm hoping to be over in the UK in about 13 months, and I'm planning on submitting my application to the school ASAP, so.. hopefully that will be enough time...

cheers,
Dan

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 03:39:20 PM »
LMAO. I am sending the visa app off today. I applied for school back in Feb., got the approval within two weeks. Then I applied for a Federal Stafford loan. Now this was a nightmare. I applied for that on March 22, 2005. I just got approved yesterday - almost 4months of going btwn the lender and the school. You HAVE to get involved. I wouldn't have it if I didn't breathe down their necks. If you're not going that route, you will have a much easier time. I am expecting to get my visa by the end of next week since it will arrive to the NYC consulate tomorrow morning.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 03:44:11 PM »
so then I guess I'm doing alright with time :) and yeah, the Stafford loan is a pain in the ars*, especially when none of the schools you want to go to are "participating members" or whatever, which kinda makes you SOL as far as that goes. so I've been banking all my money for the past year, save for plane fare to go see my GF when I get the chance... being as though I still live with my parents, it helps with the moeny saving aspect :)

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 03:53:11 PM »
another question about applying for visa. originally my girlfriend was going to come to school here, in the US, for a year, but was denied her visa application. twice. including the second time when she was carrying a letter from the a senator stating there was congressional interest in her visa application. but no luck, after a month of investigation and phone calls, I eventually got to the bottom of the embassys reasoning (they stated her finances weren't in order) when in actuallity she was denied because she had a boyfriend in the united states. so heres the question. as much as I'd like to be straight up and honest with my application, should I keep quiet about the fact that I have a girlfriend in the UK? I've always tried to be an honest person, and though it was the best way to go about things, but I've recently been thinking more and more, that isn't the case when dealing with government.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 03:59:27 PM »
Wow! I am so sorry about that. I have been open about my boyfriend in the Uk for the mere fact that I am living with him and he will be supporting me. If none of those things are happening - I would say they will have no interest in your relationships. That only comes into play if you'll live with her or her parents or they will finance any part of your stay/study. They are very interested in having foreign students for the revenue (much more expensive for us to attend uni than residents). I'd keep your visa app straightforward and open - if they call/write or interview you and ask - then be completely honest. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.

Sponsored Links