Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did your dog take the flight/move?  (Read 10503 times)

How did your dog take the flight/move?
« on: June 29, 2005, 05:37:35 PM »
Hi all, Im moving from San Francisco to the UK around Jan 06, (actually taking my pooch to the vet TODAY for her blood test/microchip/rabies vacc.)  Im going to fly on BA since they seem to be the best and only airline out of two that I can take her on anyway!

How did your doggie deal? i have a very sensitive little rhodesian ridgeback/airdale terrier mix, she is 7 years old. Im pretty sure she will handle the flight ok, little jetlagged like myself when we get there!!  But how did your pets do when you arrived in the new home?  I dont have children, she is my kid.  This is a huge move for us and Id love to hear from other doggie owners how it went.

THANK YOU!!!!!!
ps... I love this site! I finally feel like ive met people who "get it"  ;)

• Liked: 0
Re: How did your dog take the flight/move?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 01:33:52 PM »
I am going through the same ordeal at the moment.  I just arrived in Aberdeen 3 weeks ago.  I did the whole microchip/vaccination/blood test thing in March, so my pooch is staying with friends in the States until the 6 month period is over in September.  I have the same worries, but other expats I've spoken with say their dogs did fine on the long trips, even one from Houston to Korea.  I considered sedating my dog for the trip, but I've heard that the altitude and sedation may have dangerous effects on pooches. 

Someone told me a story about a couple that was transporting their dog to the UK from Houston, via Newark.  Turns out that the weather in Newark was too cold, so the airline wouldn't allow their dog to travel that route since the dog would end up sitting in freezing weather for a few hours during the layover.  So they had to change their flights at the last second and spend tons of money.  So make sure early on that the entire route is suitable for the dog, esp since you are going in January. 

I got one good tip though - attach a bowl to the inside of the crate, then put in a water bottle full of frozen water with some small holes in it.  As the water slowly melts in the bottle, your pooch will have some water on the long trip. 

I'll let you know how it goes when I get my baby in September.  I miss her so much! 

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 09:25:04 PM »
How big is your dog?  (I'm ignorant on breed sizes)  There's a certain size of dog that can travel with you in the passenger section (not cargo).  I WISH I could do this.  But  alas my dog is about 44 pounds. 

The best DEFRA link I think is this: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet4a.pdf
It has a great checklist at the bottom that we use to track things.

One thing it does not have howerver is a check box for getting your USDA approval.  Yes, this was a bit of a surprise to me.  But we have to send all our documents (or copies) to the USDA office in NY for their approval of our dog.  What's the USDA got to do with it?  We're not eating our animals!  ;-)  But they have some legality thing with the export of American Animals and their "endorsement".  There's a 76 dollar fee and all the info can be found at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/exp-pets.html

If anyone knows otherwise (that the USDA endorsment is no longer required) PLEASE let me know before I was my time and money.

Thanks,
Grant

The world we have created is a product of our thinking;
it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
                                                        ‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 07:11:38 PM »
I am under the impression a dog CANNOT fly in cabin. I just spoke with BA and looking at $994.32 in just over 20 days to bring my 15 lbs dog to the UK.
I think it is a shame it costs as much for an animal to travel as it does people.
Make sure you get a health certificate and tick and tape worming at the same time 24-48 hours before flight.
Defra says get tick and tape worming 24-48 hours. But until the airline conversation I did not know my dog also has to have a health certificate to fly.
This is such a stressful process for the owners of the animals. The animals have to take it better than we do.
I can't wait to get my dog. I am flying home in 2 weeks during my stay i am sending her back and my hubby is getting her. So she will get acquainted with the house without me. sad. i am gonna miss the reunion of her and her daddy. hehe.
Sorry I was windy.
Glad to help if i can.

Back Home,
JSayegh

• Another pint, please!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 03:16:34 AM »
OK, this isn't the gospel, but it is what I understand from my vet (who has done these export things before, he assures me... even the front desk staff were like, "Oh, you guys are moving, huh? Where to? New Zealand? Hawaii? Australia? Oh, the UK... not the most common, but no problem"). Keep in mind we're in the midst of the process, having just had our blood draw today.

My understanding is this. The USDA has a licensing program for vets which makes them "official" vets. Your vet will know if she meets these guidelines, just ask. Here's the website that tells about it: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nvap/   I looked for ages for an online directory to see if you could search their database to find a registered vet, but I couldn't see one.

If you *DON'T* use a vet who has been certified by the USDA, then you have to have your certificate stamped by the USDA regional office. Or, I guess you could do it if you don't want to pay your vet to do it. Since they're doing the services anyway, though, they usually don't charge for signing the paper.

-B

• Another pint, please!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 03:29:03 AM »
Though after I wrote the last post, I continued searching for more information, and found this little gem:

International health certificates for the export of animals from the United States are completed by the APHIS accredited veterinarian who certifies animal health status, conducts tests, and records test results for the individual animals being exported. Completed and signed international health certificates for the export of animals from the United States must be endorsed by a Veterinary Services area office in order to be valid. To obtain the USDA endorsement of an international health certificate or any other documents relating to traveling with your pet, the documents must be completed by an APHIS Accredited Veterinarian.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/ncie/exp-pets.html

Which would seem like you need both your vet *and* the USDA authorisation. So I guess we'll continue looking for the info. Anyone who's finished the process--did you have your form stamped by your USDA area office?

-B

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 05:07:21 AM »
I haven't gone to the USDA yet.  But I have called them and they were pretty informative (the second time).  If I remember correctly, I just have to mail them the forms (and the fee) and they mail it back to me certified.  I have to double check, but my office was in New York (where I live), so it wouldn't be a big deal to go get myself (just another thing to add to 1000). 

They said not to do it until close to your leaving date because it is only good for so many months (2-4ish - I forget).   I wish I was more reliable with the details, but the general scheme of it all I'm sure of (now). 

My major point of confusion is that I saw NOWHERE else a mention of this USDA approval (on this site or defra).  I have since posted as much as I could so people can look into it.  But for something so crucial, you'd think there'd be something more clear.

I assure you I will post back once I get over there (Oct), which I assume is before your departure to let you know if the USDA thing was absolutely necessary.  Because, believe me, one less step in this whole thing would be an appreciated relief.  But as of now, if there's anything remotely required for my dogchild, I'm doing it.

best of luck,
grant

‹ Albert Einstein

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 08:15:58 AM »
Which would seem like you need both your vet *and* the USDA authorisation. So I guess we'll continue looking for the info. Anyone who's finished the process--did you have your form stamped by your USDA area office?

I did it ... but it's been over two years now, so what I went through may no longer be the norm. Back in 2003, I had to have a USDA vet seal my cat's crate and sign off on some paperwork -- it had to be done right before the flight as he/she was sealing the cat into the crate. We did it on the way to the airport, which worked out for me. However, I could see that might be a big problem for people traveling from different directions or using airports in areas without a convenient USDA office. I hope the rules have loosened up a bit for you guys! :)
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 12:42:54 PM »
I do feel 2 yrs ago is a bit outdated...crates don't get sealed by vets. the airport might but not the vet. The pet certificate is the one i think that your vet works on, documenting the microchip, the vaccination, and the test results, then it gets mailed out the the regional vet who stamps it and then return it to you (must be a fee for this, not quite that far yet) and this is good for 4 months....
you must tick and tape worm 24-48 hours before flight take off.
However I am semi unsure about the health certificate. the lady with BA yesterday said same hours on it as the tick and tape but I feel as though the certificate from the regional vet is the health  certificate.
So to sum up I think really the health certificate and the certified pet certificate is the same. Please correct me if i am wrong
Anybody no yet.
My dog is to see vet last time before sending out paperwork to regional vet with all other doc of the process my vet preformed.
Next step schedule date for flight up to 13 days prior to being ready as little as 3 days.
24-48 hours tick and tape.
in question of health certificate. I am gonna check on it. My vet that is doing this process never readied a dog for international travel. darn my luck.
strongly urge calling every vet in your town or city to find one who is experienced.
Sorry if to long and wordy or without helpful info.

Back Home,
JSayegh

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 08:55:42 AM »
I am sitting here, late at night (almost 1 am my time) and really getting depressed about how difficult it is going to be to bring my 13 year old dog, Keesha,  over. The plan is for her to come over two months after I get to England but now I am not sure if I can trust my sister to take care of the details or if Keesha will even be "allowed" to travel. I also want my two cats to come over but who knows if that will happen.

Sorry folks, just feeling sad, frustrated and disillusioned. As many have commented on before --- why to "they"consider pets property instead of loved ones? So many people comment to me about how lucky it is that I don't have to worry about bringing kids over. My pets are my kids and it would be much easier to bring human kids vs. animal kids.

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 03:17:58 PM »
I am sitting here, late at night (almost 1 am my time) and really getting depressed about how difficult it is going to be to bring my 13 year old dog, Keesha,  over. The plan is for her to come over two months after I get to England but now I am not sure if I can trust my sister to take care of the details or if Keesha will even be "allowed" to travel. I also want my two cats to come over but who knows if that will happen.

Sorry folks, just feeling sad, frustrated and disillusioned. As many have commented on before --- why to "they"consider pets property instead of loved ones? So many people comment to me about how lucky it is that I don't have to worry about bringing kids over. My pets are my kids and it would be much easier to bring human kids vs. animal kids.

Hi Cheryl.
I understand how you feel. I am fortunate to be coming by ship so dont have to worry about cargo anymore. But still, I agonize over the 6 day seperation while my dogs are in the kennel on the ship. My one dog in particular sleeps by my side every night. I have had him since he was abandoned on the highway at 6 weeks old. He is nine now. Even when I'm at work I miss him terribly. Sad, I know, but it's true. Also it doesnt help that he is certainly a little chicken. Scared of any noise and looks for me everytime i leave his side. I wish so much that someone could see he's like a child to me and would fare much better in the cabin with me.
There's no chance of you flying back to accompany her? I know that would be so expensive, but if you are like me, there is no money that would mean anything to me without my pup. Or at least have a heartfelt talk to your sister so she knows just how important this is for you. You can do it even though it's hard and when it's over you will have a wonderful reunion. And imagine all those nice walks in England that you can enjoy together.
I know what I would do if I won a big lottery. Buy a ship just for transporting people with their pets. In the comfort of them being together in the cabin. And catered to with nice walkies and treats to make their trip enjoyable too!
I wish you luck.  :)
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 05:03:17 AM »
Thanks so much for your kind words, Calle - - - I am contemplating coming over to get her if I can get the time off work so soon after I start. maybe my new supervisor will be a dog lover!

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 05:16:07 AM »
I know what I would do if I won a big lottery. Buy a ship just for transporting people with their pets. In the comfort of them being together in the cabin. And catered to with nice walkies and treats to make their trip enjoyable too!

Calle, count me as one of your first customers!!   Sounds so cool!  I must ask though (out of extreme curiosity/envy), what's traveling by ship like?  How long does it take?  What's dog life on a ship?  Can they roam around with you?  How are dog restroom issues handled?

-Grant

‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 06:18:02 AM »

Expats and friends:

I cried when I microchipped and did the blood work with my cats. I was balling my eyes out. I was sitting in the Vet office looking like a fool.

My former dog?

He is a Husky. I let him run free. He became a sled-racer. ;-) An amazing dog. Beautiful.

Our biggest prob is transporting the cats. 

I have a problem cat here. A Himalayan.

SOS

"The artist is not a person endowed with free will who seeks his own ends, but one who allows art to realize its purposes through him. As a human being he may have moods and a will and personal aims, but as an artist he is 'man' in a higher sense - he is 'collective man', a vehicle and molder of the unconscious psychic life of mankind"
--Carl Jung

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 04:00:11 PM »
Calle, count me as one of your first customers!!   Sounds so cool!  I must ask though (out of extreme curiosity/envy), what's traveling by ship like?  How long does it take?  What's dog life on a ship?  Can they roam around with you?  How are dog restroom issues handled?

-Grant
Hi Grant.
I came over to the states on a ship... but it was long ago. It was fun though! I'll be returning to the UK 1 Nov. on the QM2. Supposed to be amazing. It only takes six days from New York to Southampton. Sounds pricey on the net but we called and its ending up cheaper for us than flying! Family of four in a cabin was 886. US dollars per person. 2 dogs 500. a piece and 1 cat 300. You dont have to buy kennels as they are fixed on the ship so saved us from buying flight crates. They have a kennel area all inclosed so temp stays comfy. They have a run area affixed to the kennel area fenced and covered but where the pets can get some fresh air and excercise. They say a grassy area on the run area so we'll see? I suppose its for the dogs to go bathroom. Probably litter pans in cat area. they are fed watered and given regular walks. The down side is they have to stay in the kennel but you can visit certain times. Thats the hard part. My little guy wont know why I'm leaving him :\\\'(. The other down side is they only transport pets certain times of the year. We have the last available kennels this year and supposedly they are doing a world tour winter/spring so you have to call next year to find out the next available animal transport. When we last spoke to them however they said they had a few kennels open for Sept? but dont know if they got filled or not.
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab