Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: adverts you love & hate  (Read 62637 times)

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
adverts you love & hate
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:56:31 AM »
any adverts you find annoying ? why?

any adverts you find lovable? why?

Love

The wetabix advert about the scarecrow..it's one of those "awww" adverts

The advert about Sunsilk (I think) where there are little weird hair monsters...I thought those hair monsters were cute. :-[

The Sprite adverts where it was a series of Sprite jokes "You can take a sprite to festival ..it can only play one chord" anyone remember those??

I like the Priviledge adverts where they are pretending in the caf to be "posh"
"Ten sugars or Twelve?"

The Golf diesel "Hate something , Change something" it's cute

The car commercial where it transforms into a dancing robot thing ..bloody heck was that fab.. :o

Hate ..or at least midly annoyed

Sadly the Pedigree where the dog sorts out brekkie..."You know he would if he could"
If he could you know he would be fixing his own blooming brekkie ..first.. ;D

The finger of "god" helping women how to do their hair?? what's that about?? Just gave me funny thought about XTC's "Dear God"?  "we don't need a reduction in split ends"

The channel 4 where they ask celebs a question and they cut into several responses

The ones with "Howard" from the Halifax ::)

But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
Re: adverts you love & hate
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 11:30:59 AM »

I like the Priviledge adverts where they are pretending in the caf to be "posh"
"Ten sugars or Twelve?"

Can't comment on the rest since I've not seen them, but I did catch this one when I was over in April. I had just finished up Watching the English, and I about peed my pants laughing. If I wouldn't have read the book, I would never have understood it!
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 11:38:20 AM »
The newest set of RSPCA ads make me cry - they're VERY effective.

I love the Vodafone ads - "Dad, I'm pregnant." "Oops." etc.

I think the Talk Talk ones during Big Brother with people making the shape of the phone or a birthday cake are clever and inoffensive (more than you can say for most!)

I like the ones with the weird version of "I'll Melt With You" playing where the girl is avoiding all the catastrophes - I think it's a mobile ad but can't recall which ones.

I love all Volkswaggen ads - think they're all very clever.

I HATE most insurance ads - especially the "That's more than Lucky" ones and I hate the dufus twin brothers who are identical idiots.

Obviously I hate the ringtone ads - every single one of them whether it's the frog, the dragon, the birds, or whatever. And I hate all of the KFC ones.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 11:41:48 AM »
ooooh we did this on here a long way back!

i too have been a fan of honda's commercials.  The diesel one, definately.  The nome a shakara (that is totally wrong but the one with the ballooons out of their ears).  Love it.

I love the detergent ones where the litte girl is playing and for instance she's sitting on the sofa end, like she's riding a horse and the commentator says 'and they're off, it's red heat in the middle, then....' like she is actually doing it.  really cute.  they have a ton of them.

i want to kill m&s for showing such yummy foods.

those RSPCA ones with the talking animals.  oh my god...those are terribly good.

also the ones about parents smoking, with the kids playing and smoke trickling out of their noses.  i'm sorry, if you're a parent and you smoke and see those...how can you NOT try to stop?!

god there are so many more.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 11:44:05 AM »
Generally I love most British ads just because they are so funny.  I love the one's about the "real honest food" with the guy that pops up and tells the truth about something whenever someone is lying.  They just crack me up.

I HATE with a passion anything scare tactic.  Like the ones for motorcycle safety and crossing the roads.  No matter how many times I watch them, I get freaked out when the big accident happens.

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 12:09:52 PM »
ohh the "Melt with you" one I like ...just because of the song

and I hate the "More than" with Lucky ..that blooming dog is evil  :o
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Life not only begins at 40, it begins to show.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 01:03:38 PM »
Haven't seen that one in a long time but I loved the Peugeot ad with the dad who sends his son to rob a bank, it's soo cute when the kid says "I don't want to go" and at first you have no idea where to ;)

The Trini and Susanne Nescafe ads ("you need a bigger cup size") ... I think they're quite funny!

The BT broadband ad where the guy buys a lesser featured camera although he could have had one with a zoom for the same price ... and then he takes pics of his son on the swing, has to get closer for the shots and gets knocked out 'cause he got too close, so hilarious!  ;D

I totally hate
- the 'Radox' shower gel ad where a wall lifts like a curtain and people start singing and dancing rubbish like in a revue show, blech!
- the annoying morning ads for homeowner loans
- all esure ads with that old guy ("it's only an commercial!")
- most of the ads where the theme has been copied from another one, like the "get rid of your hair gremlins" for the Sunsilk products, either it's the same advertising company who did the commercials for adult learning courses or a clueless creative director hoping nobody notices the imitation!

... erm ... more to come ...
"Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you." — Kurt Cobain

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 01:18:11 PM »
aww...I like the hair monsters they are cute

I just saw one that had Phil and I just peed  our pants with laughter ....it's for the new child trust fund. It's an aerobics studio full of adults waiting for their class to start ...when they pan to the front of the class it's a 2 year old and she begins to do typical 2 year old things ( hopping up and down , bending down trying to stand on her head , pulling her shirt over her head) meanwhile all the adults mimic her actions like a workout session..it's absolutely hysterical.

• Banned

• Big black panther stalking through the jungle!
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2005, 01:48:18 PM »
Have a look at this site for an assortment of British commercials from years gone by:

www.tv-ark.org.uk

The "Public Info Films" section might be of interest too.   I grew up with Tufty telling me to be careful in the street, Charley warning of going off with strangers, and the "Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water" warning of the dangers of rivers and lakes.

If you want the scare-tactics, this one of poor Jimmy trying to retrieve his frisbee still gives me the creeps even now.  The background music does a lot to build up a menacing atmosphere right from the start:

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/pifs/pifs_m-r/playsafefrisbee1979.rm
From
Bar
To car
To
Gates ajar
Burma Shave

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dreaming of one who truly is La plus belle pour aller danser.

• London Rollergirl
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2005, 02:12:44 PM »
reminds of the new commercials where the boys are at the railway vandelizing stuff and one stops to tie his shoe on the tracks.

I have a love hate with the Pot noodle ads making the fact that eating them is naughty.

• le club de l'autobus blanc!
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2005, 02:51:11 PM »
I'm still in the USA but...

Where I live (and in much of the west) there is very annoying car dealer commercial with people yelling:

179, 179, 179, 179!? ARE WE OUT OF OUR MINDS?

And they play the Ghostbusters music saying "Who you gonna call? CALL DESERT!"

"Tell them, John Elway!"

(Forgive the all caps, but that is how the commercial goes  ::))

I love the Geico commericals, especially the Tony Little one. They always get me the first time. :)

Let's take our wigs off in the shopi aisle and fight it out.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 03:08:17 PM »
I want that crazy frog to drive right into a nuclear reactor on his wee scooter.  HATE those bloody adverts.

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 03:35:35 PM »

and I hate the "More than" with Lucky ..that blooming dog is evil  :o

That dog just died- of cancer- I don't know how the owners can bear the ads on T.V

HATE the RSPCA ones cos they make me cry and because I HATE the RSPCA (but mainly because I strongly disagree with the organisation and what they actually do with their money)

HATE the "kiss it and make it better" song (Husband likes it)

HATE the people on KFC ads

HATE any ads with Howard and bad singing in them

HATE the "118" ones

Hate the woman who just takes "Ymea" (but she is familiar from something and it drives me made trying to remember)

Hate the yoghurt one, the petit filous girl (shes cute, but over exposed!)

Like the Talk Talk ads - clever and different

Liked the horses in the Guinness ads

Quite liked the transformer car ad

but mostly- as soon as the ads come on, I mute the TV or start flicking! I also used to hate the "Elephant" insurance ads, til I read that the young actor had died recently and the company honoured his memory by continuing to play the ads because his parents liked to see him and hear his voice on t.v
Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2005, 04:23:20 PM »
HATE the "kiss it and make it better" song (Husband likes it)

My hubs likes that one too - how strange - maybe it's some weird subconscious guy thing!

Liked the horses in the Guinness ads

Oh yeah, I really like the bizarre fish riding the bicycle Guinness ad!!!

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 04:29:03 PM »
Don't like Kiss it and Make it better ones, or those annoying KFC ones. 

LOVE the Vodaphone ones. 

Sponsored Links