Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: WHERE'S A SOLICITOR WHEN YOU NEED ONE?  (Read 1482 times)

WHERE'S A SOLICITOR WHEN YOU NEED ONE?
« on: July 19, 2002, 07:07:33 PM »
As some of you may remember, Hovis and I were ripped off by someone when our personal effects were transferred from Liverpool to California.  We were robbed of some very precious stuff.  I do not know where the theft occured, only that it happened sometime while the cargo was in transit.  There were several parties involved in the transfer and everyone is passing the proverbial buck.  I am getting nowhere with the insurance company and am throroughly fed up.  I would like to instigate legal action, and have tried to contact a solicitor's office in Liverpool (recommended by a friend who works for the Citizens Advice Bureau), whom I was told specializes in issues of commerce, but I have received no response.  

Does anyone here know where I can find a solicitor in UK who deals with this kind of thing?  I am at my wit's end and don't even know where to start looking.  Any advice would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2002, 07:08:43 PM by Elaine »

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: WHERE'S A SOLICITOR WHEN YOU NEED ONE?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2002, 07:51:31 PM »
:'(
I don't have any advice kitten, but here. Have a hug.

(((((((hug)))))))
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2002, 10:29:02 PM »
how long has it been since you contacted the solicitor's office?  You might try the Law Society and see if they can make a referral.  just a few thoughts

• If I don't surface in 3 minutes,  come get me
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2002, 04:41:04 PM »
I hadn't seen this topic before, but, I would say that since Insurances effected in the UK are regulated by an Ombudsman, it may well be better to use their 'clout' , before expending huge sums on solicitors.

The formal procedure is to write to the Chief Executive of the Insurer ( I presume that it was a UK Insurance company),   and then give them , maybe 14 days to give you a satisfactory response.  Advise them that in the event that they do not resolve the matter to your satisfaction, then you will contact the Ombudsman.   The Insurance Ombudsman Burea has ben replaced with the Financial Ombudsman.  Check this link out
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

I hope that helps you
Steve ( Mr Pam/Itsbcoz...u know what I mean)

• The Powerpuff Girls can save the day!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2002, 09:29:42 PM »
Hi Steve,

I passed the info on to Scrumpy and she said to thank you very much.  She hadn't thought of the Ombudsman, so good advice.  She is still wrangling around with the shipping company and got the Director's ear who does not want a lawsuit so he has decided to try and sort things out.

Becky
UK via NJ, VT, CT, RI and MA

Sponsored Links