Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Recommended list  (Read 48633 times)

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
Re: Recommended list
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2005, 10:33:32 AM »
The UK is waaaaaaaay more than just London...  The Lake District is a must-see!  And, of course -- you must say 'Ayup!' to Yorkshire (God's Own County) -- so many lovely places for walking & picnicking, etc here in the Yorkshire Dales & Moors. ;D  Plus -- don't forget that Leeds was voted the "UK's Favorite City" in the Conde Nast Traveler Magazine's "Readers' Travel Awards 2003" -- ahead of London & Edinburgh.  I've also read somewhere that Leeds is the UK's third largest city, after London & Birmingham.

The North Yorkshire coast is simply breathtaking -- I love going to Whitby with the abbey ruins there & the 199 steps, all the music festivals, great restaurants, etc.  York Minister is enormous & amazing.  Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal is a gorgeous place to go.  Bradford is the UK's "curry capital".  I could go on & on & on... ;D ;D ;D
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2005, 12:46:21 PM »
Visit Jodrell Observatory near Manchester University.

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2005, 02:44:58 PM »
Eden Project! Eden Project! Eden Project!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 03:05:43 PM »
This is a great idea! I'll have to print it out so I wont miss anything. But what... no Tolkien fans? I am really looking forward to the 'real middle earth tour". Some of which does go through Brum. ;) Keep postimg though! looks like my holidays will be booked for a long time to come! :)
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2005, 03:08:38 PM »
well I've definitely not done Britwife's #4  ;D ...to be honest I've never been to Harrods :)..or IKEA ..amazing huh ;D

Never been to Harrods?????????? How is this possible? Quelle horreur!

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2005, 05:11:08 PM »
never ever ...I guess because my mum has said "You better not go without me" so I'll leave it for when she does :) :) I love Selfridges and Hamleys ...they satisfy my shopping urge.
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2005, 05:27:14 PM »
Another thing near Birmingham is Sulgrave Manor which is near Banbury-it is the ancestral home of George Washington.  I haven't been there-but it was recommended to me, so I am recommending it to you all if you're in the area.  It's your patriotic duty!! ;D

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2005, 05:31:55 PM »
I'm such a selfish cow that I dont want to share my favourite must-see/ must-do places, out of fear that they will become over-run with tourists, which will spoil the whole thing!   :-X

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2005, 05:35:11 PM »
I'm such a selfish cow that I dont want to share my favourite must-see/ must-do places, out of fear that they will become over-run with tourists, which will spoil the whole thing!   :-X

Tell me.....  >:( >:( >:(

(I'll figure out how to get it out of you eventually.....)  ;)
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

• Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 07:16:59 PM »
never ever ...I guess because my mum has said "You better not go without me" so I'll leave it for when she does :) :) I love Selfridges and Hamleys ...they satisfy my shopping urge.

Oh yes Selfridges is definitely better for actual shopping .... Harrods is more of an EXPERIENCE.  Especialy the Di & Dodi fountain ;D

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 07:27:10 PM »
Oh yes Selfridges is definitely better for actual shopping .... Harrods is more of an EXPERIENCE.  Especialy the Di & Dodi fountain ;D

Harrod's Food Hall! <swoooon>

Scone Palace

Blenheim Palace

Hay-on-Wye
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2005, 07:21:20 AM »
Tell me.....  >:( >:( >:(

(I'll figure out how to get it out of you eventually.....)  ;)

Well, the Subaru garage in Penicuik is pretty high on my list these days... in fact, im leaving for there in 10 minutes!  ;)

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2005, 05:32:10 PM »
Well, the Subaru garage in Penicuik is pretty high on my list these days... in fact, im leaving for there in 10 minutes!  ;)

Yawn....you must have something better than that!!!   :-*

I know, I'll fill you in on every last detail of the new Harry Potter book, then tell you why you're wrong for not wanting to know!!!   [smiley=book.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif]
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2005, 07:56:09 PM »
I know, I'll fill you in on every last detail of the new Harry Potter book, then tell you why you're wrong for not wanting to know!!!   [smiley=book.gif] [smiley=smash.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif] [smiley=devilish.gif]

I'm not listening, la-la-la-la-la...  ;)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 01:16:19 PM »
The UK is waaaaaaaay more than just London...  The Lake District is a must-see!  And, of course -- you must say 'Ayup!' to Yorkshire (God's Own County) -- so many lovely places for walking & picnicking, etc here in the Yorkshire Dales & Moors. ;D  Plus -- don't forget that Leeds was voted the "UK's Favorite City" in the Conde Nast Traveler Magazine's "Readers' Travel Awards 2003" -- ahead of London & Edinburgh.  I've also read somewhere that Leeds is the UK's third largest city, after London & Birmingham.

The North Yorkshire coast is simply breathtaking -- I love going to Whitby with the abbey ruins there & the 199 steps, all the music festivals, great restaurants, etc.  York Minister is enormous & amazing.  Fountains Abbey/Studley Royal is a gorgeous place to go.  Bradford is the UK's "curry capital".  I could go on & on & on... ;D ;D ;D

What she said.

Anyone who comes up North has to see York. Do the Jorvik tour. See Clifford Tower. Eat icecream at a cafe on the canal. Spend an afternoon in the park with the abbey ruins.

There's the Yorkshire Sculpture Park which is brilliant.

The moors at Ilkley are fab.

Shopping is quite good in Leeds, it's all within 1 square mile.

Kirkstall Abbey is beautiful.

And me! I'm here! You can see me! Must come see me!
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

Sponsored Links