Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cornbread recipe?  (Read 873 times)

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
  • Liked: 0
Cornbread recipe?
« on: September 14, 2003, 02:15:43 PM »
Anyone have a good recipe for making cornbread from scratch?  I like mine more crumbly than sticky.

Thanks!
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Cornbread recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 08:02:03 PM »
This is from the weight watchers American cookbook I picked up there last year.  This recipe is on the crumbly side and very tasty!

1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups skimmed milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 220 Celcius and spray a 9 inch round cake pan with nonstick spray (or grease it in the normal way with butter, etc.)

2. COmbine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Combine the milk, eggs and butter in another bowl.  Slowly stir the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture until just combined.  Pour the batter into the pan and bake until the cornbread pulls away from the sides of the pan and the edges brown slightly, 20-25 minutes.  Cool in the pan 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

**Note:  You can also use this for corn muffins by using a muffin tin, if you have one.  Cooking time will be slightly shorter.  

Hope you enjoy it!  :)

• From Texas to North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 08:07:05 PM »
This is from the weight watchers American cookbook I picked up there last year.  This recipe is on the crumbly side and very tasty!

1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups skimmed milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 220 Celcius and spray a 9 inch round cake pan with nonstick spray (or grease it in the normal way with butter, etc.)

2. COmbine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Combine the milk, eggs and butter in another bowl.  Slowly stir the milk mixture into the cornmeal mixture until just combined.  Pour the batter into the pan and bake until the cornbread pulls away from the sides of the pan and the edges brown slightly, 20-25 minutes.  Cool in the pan 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

**Note:  You can also use this for corn muffins by using a muffin tin, if you have one.  Cooking time will be slightly shorter.  

Hope you enjoy it!  :)

Sounds wonderful, but I have 2 problems.

1.)  Supermarkets here don't carry cornmeal.  Dry polenta is just grounded maize....can that be substituted for cornmeal?

2.)  What gas mark is 220 Celsius?

Thanks!
Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated. -- Ulysses S. Grant

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2003, 10:20:14 PM »
I had the urge for yummy cornbread and searched around until I found a little Indian grocery that sold corn meal! It *is* available, just not where it's most convenient hehe I also checked into a site called

www.expatshopping.com

when I was getting desperate and didn't want to resort to having someone back home in NY send me a care package! They do have it! So.....all hope is not lost if you aren't lucky enough to have little Indian grocers around  :D

Good luck!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2003, 11:59:36 PM »
Yep, cornmeal is all over the place...you just gotta know where to look!  :)  The indian row or any indian food shop will have it.  

Can't help with the gas mark thing tho, sorry!  I'm sure there's someone out there or some sight with converstions on it.  

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2003, 12:30:00 AM »
It's not pretty, but it works:

http://www.godecookery.com/goderec/equiv.htm
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab