Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Telling family and friends can be brutal!  (Read 1048 times)

Telling family and friends can be brutal!
« on: July 26, 2005, 03:38:18 AM »
So... WOW.  I finally started telling my peeps about getting married and moving.  OK, I understand its a HUGE change.  But life is full of change and you don't learn much without it.  Three of my closest friends are thrilled.  They loved Rich when he came here to meet me.  They get it.  They will miss me, but are so happy for me.  (One of them is actually marrying us!)  My friend of 11 years, and her kiwi husband were a bit indifferent.  Concerned, not overly excited.  They didnt spend as much time with Rich, nor am I as close to them like the other three, even though ive known them longer.  Ive told my sister and shes sad im leaving, a little concerned, but knows that I would never make such a big decision if I had one doubt.  She has not met Rich yet, but she knows how happy he makes me, how he treats me better than i ever imagined.  Shes truly happy for me and cant wait to come visit us in the UK.

Tomorrow, I tell my Dad.  Im not looking forward to this.  Parents are usually always going to miss their children if they move away.  They can be happy for us that we found love, but would be happier if we found it close to home, not in another country!  The difference for me is I am 35 and Ive lived here my entire life.  I was married and then divorced.  I know the difference between love that is true and everything else.  I think the part that gets me defensive, is exactly that.  I still have a few friends to tell.  One of which, I dont think will be supportive, may even have a temper tantrum!  But I know in my heart, the decision Im making is right for me.  I guess I shouldnt let anyones reaction bother me, but it does to some degree.  Im a bit frusterated, but I knew it would be like this.  blah.... thanks for listening.

Re: Telling family and friends can be brutal!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 10:02:41 AM »
It's not easy, but keep telling yourself that you're an adult, it's your decision to make and you have a right to live your life as you choose.  And also, you can't live your life to make other people happy, that never works. 

Hugs. :)

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 10:43:30 AM »
If you care about them, then you will get frustrated and it will upset you thats only natural. I always found (having been back and forth a couple of times now ;) that making people a part of the plans helps, showing them where you will be, what you might be doing and how easy it is to e-mail, write, call and visit and asking them what their thoughts about England are

This sometimes helps with the feeling of being left behind even by people who love and want the best for you, it can feel a bit like " I am leaving for a great new life and leaving everything here".

It can't be easy telling Dad, but I am sure he will be so delighted for you, all Dads want their girls to be happy and in love with a good man.

Good Luck :)
Born to shop..............forced to work

• Me and my Brit
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 06:29:03 PM »
Tomorrow, I tell my Dad.  Im not looking forward to this.  Parents are usually always going to miss their children if they move away.  They can be happy for us that we found love, but would be happier if we found it close to home, not in another country!  The difference for me is I am 35 and Ive lived here my entire life.  I was married and then divorced.  I know the difference between love that is true and everything else.  I think the part that gets me defensive, is exactly that.  I still have a few friends to tell.  One of which, I dont think will be supportive, may even have a temper tantrum!  But I know in my heart, the decision Im making is right for me.  I guess I shouldnt let anyones reaction bother me, but it does to some degree.  Im a bit frusterated, but I knew it would be like this.  blah.... thanks for listening.

I could have written every word of this - but tack on 5 years to your age for me.  I too was scared to death to tell my Dad.  At first he was shocked - just totally shocked.  But I reassured him that it wouldn't be for almost a year (this was last March) and that we will still be close and in touch and so on.  It has taken him awhile but he's finally talking openly with me about it, and I think he is finally even a little excited.  He knows how happy I am now and his biggest thing is that he doesn't want me to have any regrets in my life, and that if I didn't do this I would live the rest of my life wondering.

So - go slow, be gentle and caring, and hopefully it will all be ok for you too.  I know how hard it will be on him for me to leave, but I also know he will be happy for me too.  We are trying to build on the happy.

And as time goes by, you may feel like you are constantly having to justify your decisions.  That can get difficult as well.  Just know that you are firm in your convictions, you are smart and intelligent, you know what is right for you better than anyone else, and you are doing the right thing. 

Chin up!!! 

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, it's not the end.  :)

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab