Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: When do I have to file taxes in the UK  (Read 1309 times)

• I'm eating paste!
  • Liked: 0
When do I have to file taxes in the UK
« on: September 17, 2003, 04:36:25 PM »
Hi Helen,
I'm a US citizen married to a British national. We got married this past May. Since then I've been living in London but freelancing for a US company, so I guess that means I will have to file self-assessment taxes in the UK, right? And when do I need to do this? I've been seeing ads on the TV that says the deadline is Sept 30th--but I just filed in America this past April. Help!
People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

Re: When do I have to file taxes in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 03:16:12 AM »

When did you come to the UK? May 2003? How long do you intend to be resident in the UK?

Generally the due date for UK returns are 31 January following the tax year.  So, the tax returns for 2002/03 are due 31 Jan 2004.  30th Septembser is the due date if you are not calculating you own tax liability and want to send your information to the Inland Revenue and let them do it....

Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

• I'm eating paste!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 12:33:32 PM »
Well, I got my Fiance visa Dec 10, 2002, so I think that's when I actually became resident in the UK. We got married in May 2003. We intend to be here at least 3 years (does that make a difference with filing taxes?)

People should fall in love with their eyes closed. Just close your eyes. Don't look. --Andy Warhol

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 08:49:29 PM »
Given that you arrived in Dec 2002, if you worked at any time between Dec 02 and 5 April 03, you may have a UK filing requirement for 2002/03 tax year. However, If your income is only from employment you may not have a filing requirement as your monthly withholding should cover your tax liability. Generally if you do not receive a tax form from Inland Revenue you do not have to file a return.  However I advise every one to calculate their taxes themselves to see if they are owed money from the Inland Revenue. In this case you should file and claim your refund even if they did not send you a tax return.

The due date for 2002/03 return is 31 Jan 2004.

Regards
Helen
HT TAX (US & UK Tax Services)
e-mail:h.tanhaie@ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab