Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did you move over? Movers, boxes, etc... (split from LIST topic)  (Read 1121 times)

• Me and my Brit
  • Liked: 0
Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I'm curious to know how most of you have moved over?  Only because it sounds like you have done it piecemeal, and not worked with shippers.  I'm planning to hire an international shipper and just taking everything - after MAJOR garage sales and give aways to family.  But to hear so many of you say you wished you had brought a box of photos makes me wonder if I'm going about this the wrong way.

I'm so very worried about my hair color!!!!  I'll have to buy L'Oreal out of their stock of French Roast Ferria before I go!!

Also - how do you handle the whole customs situation when you do bring stuff back like over the counter drugs and food items?

Yikes - - so much to consider!!!!

Thanks!!

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
Re: How did you move over? Movers, boxes, etc... (split from LIST topic)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 05:20:24 PM »
Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I'm curious to know how most of you have moved over?  Only because it sounds like you have done it piecemeal, and not worked with shippers.  I'm planning to hire an international shipper and just taking everything - after MAJOR garage sales and give aways to family.  But to hear so many of you say you wished you had brought a box of photos makes me wonder if I'm going about this the wrong way.

Liza, I moved the way you're planning to -- hired an international shipper and had them pack up everything for me. The only things I left behind were electrical appliances.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 05:23:05 PM »
I'm so very worried about my hair color!!!!  I'll have to buy L'Oreal out of their stock of French Roast Ferria before I go!!

Also - how do you handle the whole customs situation when you do bring stuff back like over the counter drugs and food items?

I am planning on bringing my hair color too! At least a years worth! :) I was wondering about bringing sealed food and and bathroom stuff too if anyone has done this.
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Snaps
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2005, 05:26:20 PM »
I didn't bring any food, Courtney, but then I kind of prefer British foods to US ones.  :)  But I did bring a lot of bathroom things 'cause I wasn't sure if I'd be able to find my fave brands over here. And for the most part, it wasn't really necessary. I've either been able to find what I want, or have found a substitute that's just as good. But if you do have any toiletry items that you don't think you can live without, then by all means bring them!

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005, 05:45:40 PM »
Liza, I moved the way you're planning to -- hired an international shipper and had them pack up everything for me. The only things I left behind were electrical appliances.

I understand that they handle all the customs documents and cateloging stuff - it sounds pretty easy.  But I'm learning NOTHING is easy when trying to do this!!!  :)

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 06:11:29 PM »
And for the most part, it wasn't really necessary. I've either been able to find what I want, or have found a substitute that's just as good. But if you do have any toiletry items that you don't think you can live without, then by all means bring them!

For me it's more of an issue of me being cheap! :) I tend to stock up on stuff when it is on sale and I hate to throw stuff out if it's usable so I figured I'd just bring it with me. Plus my buying power is better while I am here so I will try to stock up on the basics. Can't be without my Costco sized tub of peanut butter! ;)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Snaps
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 07:19:57 PM »
I understand that they handle all the customs documents and cateloging stuff - it sounds pretty easy.  But I'm learning NOTHING is easy when trying to do this!!!  :)

It's about as easy as moving all your worldly belongings from one continent to another can be! I remember that the moving company gave me forms that I had to fill out -- including counting every item of every single thing I was moving -- from sofas, tables, and so on to dishes, books, etc.. That was kind of a pain, but all things considered, it wasn't too bad.

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 01:15:31 PM »
If you were happy with the company and feel comfortable recommending them, can you send me a PM with their name (or post it here if you are ok with that)?  I'm going blind into this, and a recommendation would make me feel better about working with someone.

Thanks!!!

~Liza

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 04:59:26 PM »
In reference to what could be shipped, my mover had a guideline. In reference to edible foods, it had to be in original packaging and unopened, except for spices. Anything else, as long as it wasn't opened- that was more for your benefit than anything, given the length of international shipments.

I'm getting ready to do this all over again. Garage sale, here we come!  On the upside, hubby reminded me I was going to be in heaven when we returned because I was going to get to go shopping for LOTS of things! And funny enough, we'll be stocking up on lots of English goods to be moved :)

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 05:29:30 PM »
Yay!  I heard back from L'Oreal UK that they do sell my haircolor there!  Ok - I can move now.  ;D

Oh - and they have IAMS for the Muffin cat, so we are all set.  I can live without everything else - well, replacements anyway.  :)

~Liza

• Snaps
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 07:11:01 PM »
Oh - and they have IAMS for the Muffin cat, so we are all set.  I can live without everything else - well, replacements anyway.  :)

They even sell IAMS in the regular supermarket! Back in the US I had to go to a pet store to find it. But my cat eats Eukanuba, and that's not as easy to track down.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 01:14:56 PM »
I'll have to buy L'Oreal out of their stock of French Roast Ferria before I go!!

French Roast is the only way to go, but instead of Deep Bronzed Brown, they call it Dark Golden Brown - so I'm not sure if the highlights will be bronz-ey.  I just started treating myself to a salon-job, so I have a box here in case of a hair coloring emergency!

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 01:49:41 PM »
I'll have to buy L'Oreal out of their stock of French Roast Ferria before I go!!

French Roast is the only way to go, but instead of Deep Bronzed Brown, they call it Dark Golden Brown - so I'm not sure if the highlights will be bronz-ey.  I just started treating myself to a salon-job, so I have a box here in case of a hair coloring emergency!

YAY!  Another Ferria French Roast user!!!! 

I wrote to L'Oreal UK about a month ago to ask if that color is available in England and they said YES!  But I will still pack as much as I can when I move - just in case.

~Liza

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 01:54:15 PM »
Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but I'm curious to know how most of you have moved over?  Only because it sounds like you have done it piecemeal, and not worked with shippers. 

I had two or three going away parties/sales, and garage sales to whittle it all down.
My International Shipping Company?  Mom & Dad Inc.   ;)

(also my personal shoppers)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 02:07:17 PM »
I too moved over here not using shippers per se...I just sent about 10 boxes over (which were stored for me by my work until I could move in)...then every time I've gone home I've brought some more stuff over (as well as sent some stuff back).  I plan on having a big ol' yard sale if I go home summer '06.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab