Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Keeping Kids Connected with folks back home  (Read 1264 times)

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
  • Liked: 0
Keeping Kids Connected with folks back home
« on: September 26, 2003, 04:54:32 PM »
I've got a 9 year old and now a 5 month old and was just wondering how other moms have dealt with keeping their children connected with family back home in USA.

We have a digital camera and have been emailing pictures like CRAZY since our new daughter was born last April.

I just hate the fact that the video formats (Pal here and whatever it is back in US) are different-- wouldnt it be nice to just pop a VHS tape of babies latest feats in the mail for grandparents to watch!!

Sure-- flying there for visits is the obvious answer-- but if money is an issue- and for us it is-- what other things can we do?

I was thinking about getting a tape recorder with a microphone to record a tape of her new cooing/babbling sounds and maybe mailing that home.

any body else got/had ideas?  
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
Re: Keeping Kids Connected with folks back home
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 07:32:54 PM »
One option would be for the grandparents to invest in a dual format VCR.  We have one here and it wasn't any more expensive than buying any other reasonably priced VCR.

I do the photo thing too, but in a different format.  Rather than emailing, I do a photoblog (photo web log).  It's basically a picture, with associated commentary posted on the internet.  If you'd like to see an example, try visiting The Baby Times. I haven't posted anything in a while because I'm waiting to move servers, but you'll get the gist.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 07:49:46 PM »
We bought my techno-phobic grandparents one of those electronic picture frames  (ours is Ceiva) and we can send photos whenever we want.... all they needed was a power outlet and a phone line.  They (other companies) make some that also let you send small movies, but at the time we bought ours they were REALLY expensive.  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2003, 07:52:56 PM by collington »
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 12:46:21 PM »
Whoa! A technology I never heard of before! What a GREAT idea! Hmmmmm...thinking about getting one for my mother...
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 12:54:47 PM »
This is really really hard-I can't help feeling that my kids have missed out on knowing their grandparents, cousins and aunts and uncles(especially as I know my sisters would have been really involved aunts).  I don't have an answer because I think I haven't been that successful at it.  We try to send pictures(easier now with the internet) and stay in touch (easier now wiht the internet).  The big girls have Nana and at least one cousin on instant messenger and the little one has very long im conversations with Nana.  We don't phone alot-mainly because it was sooooo expensive when we moved here so we never got in the habit.  We went home every year or two for the summer (six weeks) when they were little.  Now we haven't been in four years.  My Mom comes every two years or sooner if it's a crisis.
OK, now I've just depressed myself.  I guess it's something I try very hard not to think about.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 12:55:10 PM by 12yearsandcounting »

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 11:38:14 PM »
Sorry Mindy- it is depressing when you think about it too much- so I know what you mean about just not thinking about it.

I have had to do that with little neices/nephews I've got back in the states-- I just cant allow myself to dwell on all the little things in their growing up that I am missing out on-- i just DON'T think about it!

Have you tried a calling card for your long distance calls back home?  there are lots -right now we are using Planet Talk the number is 0800 036 3839 and you just phone up to register-its about 3/4 pence per minute.

of course phone calls are not the answer-- but they help.

the other day I was walking through the park and I saw a friend(British) sitting on a bench with her "mum" having fish and chips.  I just started blubbering!  I turned around really quickly and went the other way as I really felt like I couldn't control my tears. crazy- sometimes it just gets to you-eh?
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2003, 11:44:59 PM »
We aren't in this situation yet, but will be so I'm quite interested in it. We've just bought a webcam, my mom and I use MSN Instant Messenger and she can watch me on the web cam even though she doesn't have one, so that's cool, she's been able to see my belly. My other siblings are going to get one so we can all see each other.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 11:54:05 PM »
yes- I forgot to say- the electronic picture frame sounds cool- I'll have to check that out!

and yes-- my mom has been after me to get a web cam to attach to our computer- we havent yet- worried they'd be too expensive and worried it sounds complicated-- but we need to look into that- something about being able to "SEE" family and friends live while communicating- very cool!
- hey- Marlespo-- I used to send digital pictures of my growing belly back home to my family too!!
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 09:42:17 PM »
We use either MSN or Yahoo for the web cam stuff.  It's Great!  We have two lines in the house and so do my parents ....so alot of times we will hook up the cams and then call at the same time (only bkz the sound its that great on the web service)....ALMOST like being back, hehe.  

And also like Sara, we use instant messenger services (IMS).  Kids like that, its very easy.  

Then of course we make LOTS of phone calls....thanks goodness for Alpha Telecom.  

Then I'm forever posting pics on Clubphoto (it's a US site so they can even order copies of the pics they want).  

I wish I could get them to send emails...but its like a dreaded chore.  You know, they gotta think and then type, LOL.  

Hope this helps....Good Luck!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2003, 09:43:58 PM by ItsBcoz »
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab