Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rejection Letters  (Read 1369 times)

Rejection Letters
« on: September 27, 2003, 12:56:27 PM »
Who hates those raise your hand!

I know they are a nesessary evil but you still get this sock in the gut feeling! Especially when you qualify for all of the requirements and then you get the dreaded letter. l know l do want to get some sort of acknowledgement either way but when those bad letters come in the post, ugh!

Why is it so hard to get a good paying job here in the UK?

My other job at the Tourist information centre ended last week, contract was up with no hope for renewal and l do have another one but, it's only on an as needed basis and well the line manager told me that for the first 3-4 months you may only get about 1-4 hours of work a week!  :o That's under £25 a week in wages! Now l need a better paying job, and l apply and then receive those lovely REJECTION LETTERS!!!  UGH!!!  :-/  

Ok rant over!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Rejection Letters
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 07:13:58 PM »
I especially like when they wish you well on your quest for employment.  Yeah.  Right.  Especially when THEY haven't even shortlisted you.

Or when there are TYPOS in the rejection letter.  Oops - guess they should have hired me after all, eh?!   ;)

But the best (honest) rejection letter I got was from the Royal College of Psychiatrists.  It was so well-worded - I guess they know better than anyone what kind of psychotic reaction a rejection letter can elicit!!   :D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 11:00:16 PM »
LOL l wish they would tell you why they haven't selected you! Especially when you have an interview and say sorry your not hired!

l know if you call them they have to tell you why, but sometimes l don't know if l want to know, (l take it personally) but then again it would be good to know, like if you didn't present yourself better or you need to hone in on your interview skills better, that way l know what to do better the next time.

The only thing is, l bet there is a standard, "oh it wasn't you we just decided that there was another person with higher qualifications than you" NOT the "you were too old for us, or we like to hire 16 year olds because they are cheaper labor, or you are American  ;D, etc."

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2003, 09:36:47 AM »
I hate the fact there's this "sue" mentality. You can't by law be honest about why you didn't hire someone for fear you can be taken to court. Yes, by all means there should be an explanation!

I only applied for one job here (no interview, sent in my CV) and it was so apparent by the rejection letter I got that they so didn't even read my CV, it was untrue. Oh man, if they only knew what they passed up! I had so much experience, won design awards up the wazoo and I am such a dedicated worker...plus I'd have done the job for peanuts. I'd love to know what their reason was! I'm suspecting it was age.

Oh, about the CV...a friend of mine at the time I did mine actually wrote and advized on writing CVs as a profession...and gave me a lot of pointers; said it was the best he'd seen. This weren't no ordinary CV.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2003, 01:34:02 PM »
Would love to know what pointers he gave ya, Lisa.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 11:28:28 AM »
I wish my rejection letters would tell me if I did or said something wrong or something was missing from my applications or CV.  So far the only ones I've gotten have been " we have such a large response that we feel we have enough suitable candidates blah blah blah" so basically it doesn't tell you anything only that too many people applied for the job but I'm unsure if thats the case or it's just a their stock answer not to make you feel bad.

It's still very gutting to wake up at 8am and the first thing you're greeted with in the post is rejection.  Makes one want to go right back to bed and hide.

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2003, 12:08:01 AM »
I don't like getting rejection letters either... HOWEVER... it's certainly better than not hearing back at all.  I LOATHE that.  At least have the decency to tell me I didn't get it.  That way I can cross it off my list and keep going.  

And I can understand if they had 100 applicants that it would be costly to send a letter to each and every one of them -- but heck, just send me an email!  I'm willing to bet that 98% of people have their email on their cv.

GRRR...  I just really hate not hearing anything.   [smiley=bomb.gif]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 12:11:06 AM by collington »
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 04:48:21 PM »
ok I received another letter yesteday and I made my husband read it, he said it didn't contain anything more then I wasn't hired no reason why.

At this point I'm done with them I don't want them I prefer the NY way of no contact means no job.  After a week or two of not hearing from a particular job I just keep going and don't look back.  I think I'm just ultra sensitive though.

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 12:23:11 PM »
Would love to know what pointers he gave ya, Lisa.

I'm not sure I can remember too many of them, and they were US-based recommendations.

Hmmm...don't list things from grade school, keep it short and sweet, list things closest date first, don't be shy about tooting your horn, keep to one page/one side, don't make them strain for contact details, detail your references, not just "available on request". Basically, easy to read, short and sweet, more pertainent things first, leave off the trivial stuff.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links