Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Phoning Home  (Read 1779 times)

• Liked: 0
Phoning Home
« on: September 30, 2003, 07:44:59 PM »
I will be in the UK in Mid October on Church business. Unfortunately, my wife or my darling 8 mo. old son cannot come with me. I realise that she needs to be home with him - I will just miss them both.
My question is what would be the best way to call them? I do not have a mobile - but I could get one. If I did which one? It would have to work on both sides of the pond.
Or should I just get a phone card? I will be staying with someone on part of the trip - but I would hate to tie up their phone.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Re: Phoning Home
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 08:12:32 PM »
When my fiance calls me its usually using a phone card.  They work on any type of phone (cell or landline) so its convenient to use anywhere.  Much less expensive than cell phones.  
Give a man an inch and he thinks he's a ruler!

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 08:48:01 PM »
I wouldn't use a mobile because the international mobile charge is outrageous. I had one phone call that the international mobile tax was $25...more than the call itself..and the call  wasn't cheap either. :-/ I'll never make that mistake again..lol. :P

I'd say use the phone cards. :)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 09:15:03 PM »
If you get phone cards in the states though, make sure it doesn't kill you on international calls, I got a card from Sams once to call David and it charged me stupid rates for international, it was a huge waste of money. Try to get one that has a clearly printed price for international, I forget which one I eventually used, but I want to think it was just some generic gas station one.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 10:54:09 PM »
Yeah, just get a phone card once you get here.  They have great international rates.  Most corner shops carry them.  We use America1st and the rate is 5p a minute...can't beat it!  Plus when you buy a £20 card you get £5 free.  It's great!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 11:16:20 PM »
We use Alpha Telecom its 3p a minute to call the States.  I call my family all the time!

http://www.alphatelecom.com
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 04:11:16 AM »
We use Alpha Telecom its 3p a minute to call the States.  I call my family all the time!

http://www.alphatelecom.com

We're using One-Tel and get the same rate.  It's pretty nice, isn't it? But I think John's predicament is that he is coming here for a visit and doesn't have a domicile in order to have a phone.  

I'm with the others in that I think phone card is the best way to go.  There are also plenty of convenient-type shops about that you may be able to find phone cards here that are fairly inexpensive as well.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2003, 01:09:29 PM »
We love One-Tel!  Means the kids can speak to my mother whenever they really want to (taking into account the time difference, of course!).
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 4
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2003, 01:09:57 PM »
sorry...I wasnt paying attention....I def agree with the others, stick with purchasing phone cards.   OR

Not sure who you use for your regular phone service BUT..  My parents have the AT & T Global plan. (I think its just $1 extra a month on their bill).  It might be worth checking it out.  You get a Calling Card, which you can use anywhere in the world and the calls will be billed to your home phone.  I think my parents pay something like .03 cents a minutes.  

http://www.consumer.att.com/global/english/away/callingcard.html

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 07:10:52 PM »
Thanks to all for the info! I had no idea about the international tax - thats outragous! I'll check out the links that were given to see what I can get online.

$25!!!!!  :o

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 07:43:49 PM »
I know 7-Eleven sells international phone cards that can be used outside of the U.S.  From the US to the UK it was pretty reasonable (if you didn't have a long distance service - which I didn't!).  Not sure how reasonable they are the other way.

But I used to work for 7-Eleven and will plug their products at any opportunity!  Believe it or not - it was a great job!  ;)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links