Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I legal?  (Read 907 times)

• Why a duck?
  • Liked: 0
Am I legal?
« on: August 31, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
I flew from Boston to Dublin to Edinburgh.  I went through Immigration in Dublin and have a big, green stamp in my passport allowing me to stay in ROI for 2 months.  The IO said, "You're going to be a student in the UK?"  I said, "Yes" and continued on to the Edinburgh plane.

When I got to Edinburgh, I didn't have a landing card because none were passed out on the plane.  I looked around for UK Immigration, but no one was there.  I don't have a UK stamp in my passport.  Am I legal?
When I find a funnier sig than twistedncynical's, it will be here.

• Liked: 2
Re: Am I legal?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »
The same thing happened to a couple of friends of mine who were on New Zealand passports when they returned from a trip to Dublin.   I mentioned it to someone from the Home Office who I met through my work and she said strictly speaking they should contact the Home Office to get it rectified.   

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 08:16:18 PM »
I just flew from Dublin to Birmingham and no one was there in immigration either.  Everyone was walking through the EU end.  So I didn't know what to do but I guess I am ok because I already had a previous stamp that allows me here until a certain date.  I would call the Home Office as Britwife said.  It scares me because it is so easy to bring things in when it is not an airport like Heathrow. 

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 08:20:57 PM »
Yes but your previous stamp will have expired when you left the country - that was the situation of my friends. It is probably a good idea to call the Home Office just to be on the safe side.  Make a written note of whatever they tell you so you have a reliable record of their advice, should you need it.

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 08:30:38 PM »
My stamps says I'm good until the end of December and I leave Dec. 21st.  I will call anyway, just to back myself up though.  Thanks. 

• Why a duck?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 06:07:19 PM »
Thanks a bunch!  I'll let you know what the Home Office says.

• Why a duck?
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 11:58:49 AM »
Just an update.  The Internation Students office told me to call the public inquiries office in Glasgow and that I might have to go to Glasgow with my passport.  I called the Glasgow Office and was refered to another number.  The new number keeps saying that all lines are busy and please call back later.  I've called back twice a day for the past 2 weeks.  I'm trying!

• Why a duck?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 07:47:29 PM »
Well, after 5 weeks of trying to get through to Croydon, I have an answer from the Edinburgh airport staff.  Yes, I'm legal. 

People who are traveling to the UK from an EU country have their passport stamped by the IO in the transit country.  My student visa is good for multiple entries, so I won't be using up pages of my passport as I come and go.

The muppet at Croyden couldn't answer my question, but she did refer me to the airport in Edinburgh.  The INS officer at the airport knew exactly what I was on about and reassured me that what happened is normal.

Sponsored Links