Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: moving pets to UK?  (Read 5133 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: moving pets to UK?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 01:30:56 AM »
we did ours only a week after, and I've read that anti-bodies can build up even faster than that to the qualified levels.  hope I'm not causing trouble.  but this might help some people avoid extra stay-over problems. 

The world we have created is a product of our thinking;
it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
                                                        ‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 09:11:51 PM »
Grant,
I did my dog's rabies vaccination and blood draw on the SAME DAY, because I was sure that her rabies titer would come out okay since she was already rabies vaccinated, as I'm sure Strider is too.  I only revaccinated her because of the requirement to do it again after microchipping.  And my pooch came over fine, so no worries. 
My pooch just arrived on Saturday, and she has only eaten 2 meals in 3 days, which worries me a bit, but I'm thinking that she's just dog-lagged.  One of her meals, I heard her eating at 4 in the morning! 
BTW, your website is really amazing!!!  Bath looks beautiful too! 
Vera

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2005, 01:25:40 AM »
dog-lagged!! I love it.  I wonder if it is common.  I arrive next wed. with Strider. Can't wait.  And thanks for the compliments - very kind.

as far as the titer, Strider was actually almost due for his shot anyway, that's where we weren't sure if he'd have enough antibodies - but I looked on line for the normal amount of time for antibodies to develop and I pressured my vet for that time, rather than a longer time which he was suggesting.  I acknowledged the risk I might be taking and the possible need for a re-test.   but everything was good, so no re-test.  I'm so tired of waiting to get over to the UK, I'm glad we did it that way - because I would have had to wait even longer to get over! 

best wishes,
grant

‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2005, 07:05:24 PM »
So we landed!  We were held over an hour longer at Gatwick because my vet accidentally flubbed the Tick and Worm appointment day two days forward on the 19th (the morning we arrived) instead of the 17th (24-28 hours before).  But we had the appointment invoice with the 17th and a fax from the vet correcting the mistake.  They just had to call Heathrow to verify.

I flew continental.  I would probably never fly a pet with them again.  Maybe my experience was rare, but they terribly under-quoted me on the phone ($1039 instead of the quoted 739) and the chaos at Newark, NJ was absolute hell.   First they told us to arrive at a cargo station 3 miles outside of the airport.  I arrived with my paid-by-the-minute dog chauffeur to find out, that no, I needed to go to the quick pack terminal in the airport.  So we haul butt over there.  Many many many more obstacles later (including getting stuck in an elevator for 20 minutes), we discovered the error in dates.  They were pretty speedy about calling the vet and getting him to fax a letter.  But by the time all was said in done, I barely made my flight.

When I arrived at Gatwick I saw a Virgin Atlantic Airlines rep. leading another dog owner through the process and I drooled with envy.  The PBS company that Continental sets you up with is alright, but lacking the professionalism of Virgin.  Next time (god forbid if there is one), I think I will look into a travel broker and/or virgin airlines. 

But we are here and we are grateful to have our little family unit back together.  And Strider was in great spirits all the way through - not even one bark.  He seemed pretty comfortable (the trip from CA to NY probably helped prepare him).
But it's now time for the dog and I to catch up on our rest.
Best wishes to all!
grant

‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 07:19:56 PM »
Grant, THANK YOU.  I was waiting to hear how your experience went!  I think I will look into Virgin instead of Continential like Jane suggested.  Glad you are both home safe and resting!
jenn

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2005, 08:56:38 PM »
Oh wow Grant! what a nightmare you must have gone through, because I think I would panic if anything at all went wrong. I'm so glad all ended well though and you arrived safely. Strider (love the name) really deserves some nice relaxing walkies now.
I'm envious now. Wish I could say we were there already.
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2005, 10:24:49 PM »
So glad to hear that Strider has made it over safe and sound!  Welcome to this side of the pond! 

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 03:45:29 PM »
After several direct (not through your site) e-mails of criticism and some that are just obnoxious regarding my business, my information and suggestions, despite the fact that this is the BEST resource available, I have decided to take down my information webpage on shipping pets from the US to the UK.

Anyone seriously needing information and not just contacting me to be a jerk are welcome to e-mail me directly at petsandplanes@aol.com and I will do my best to offer information. 

I will not be checking back on this site to please contact me directly.  There is no charge of course for this information.

It's a sad day when trying to help makes you a target.

good luck everyone
Jane
BKS International Pet Shipping, Inc.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 05:56:30 PM »
Wow, I feel horrible about Janes comments here.  Ive personally spoke with her on the phone and she gave me LOADS of great information.  The only reason I posted above about not taking Continental was because of other peoples experience, including Grants.  I also thought it would be better to fly direct on BA or Virgin so Id have no layover.  Im not sure what other people have said to her, on here or emailing her directly, but I do appreciate all the time and information she gave to me.  I still feel that she was trying to be helpful to all of us, and for free!  Anyone here know something I dont???
jenn

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 09:03:01 PM »
I dont. I was shocked when i read that. I havnt spoke to her but I did really appreciate that list she put together. I copied it as it is really detailed and helpful. Its terrible that anyone would have anything bad to say to her after the time she has taken to be helpful.
I would not seek the desert, or red palaces.Where reigns the sun, nor sail to magic isles......
For here is heartsease still, and deep content.
The Elves here holy and immortal dwell, and on the stones and trees there lies a spell.       J.R.R. Tolkien

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 09:12:29 AM »
Hi Grant - I'm so sorry; I didn't even realize this site had a private message funtion and I didn't see the "1 message" thing till today! At any rate I'm glad you arrived safely.

My trip also went alright despite a glitch toward the end. Unlike you with Continental, I had a generally good experience with BA. The cargo guys at the beginning of the trip were particularly wonderful. I arrived at Kennedy with a too-small carrier, but they searched through their warehouse and found me a dog carrier that worked. I had to pay for the extra weight and space, but that was hardly their fault. Word to the wise: when they say the animal's extremities can't touch the walls of the carrier, they mean it. One of the guys in the cargo terminal also gave me a lift to the British Airways departure terminal so that I didn't have to keep my pet taxi waiting (at $3/minute!) or haul my luggage across a huge parking lot and through the Airtrain. That was very kind; they didn't have to do that.

My only complaint is that they gave me some bad info on the PETS scheme, saying I didn't have to have my paperwork signed by a USDA vet as long as my own vet was USDA accredited. This is not true - you MUST have a USDA vet sign off on the whole thing even after your own vet has already filled out, signed and stamped the individual pages. It cost me 60 quid to have an official vet do this at Heathrow, and we had to wait an extra 4 hours. But it's done now, and Figaro is extremely happy in Bristol.

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 11:46:42 PM »
I failed!
I started the process back in April of 05 with microchip, and lab draw the same day.  My vet stressed it wasn't necessary to vaccinate and the titer did come back acceptable.  What happened?  Hurricane Wilma knocked out the vets computer so no reminders for the dogs yearly vaccinations got mailed.  When I took the 'kids' in to have thier teeth cleaned, I was politely informed that they were past due on their updates!!   :o  That means I have to start all over again.   :\\\'(
I can't begin to describe my disappointment. 
If any one has advice/experience with quarentine I'd appriciate it.  I DON'T want to do it but I really don't have an option. 

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2005, 02:01:57 AM »
I failed!
I started the process back in April of 05 with microchip, and lab draw the same day.  My vet stressed it wasn't necessary to vaccinate and the titer did come back acceptable.  What happened?  Hurricane Wilma knocked out the vets computer so no reminders for the dogs yearly vaccinations got mailed.  When I took the 'kids' in to have thier teeth cleaned, I was politely informed that they were past due on their updates!!   :o  That means I have to start all over again.   :\\\'(
If any one has advice/experience with quarentine I'd appriciate it.  I DON'T want to do it but I really don't have an option. 

I have heard nothing good about quarantine! I considered it but have heard so many horror stories that I decided not to go that route. There are some members on this forum who did quarantine their pets before Pet Scheme. You should do a search and find out who posted that they used quarantine facilities.

Good luck!
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 06:49:31 PM »
I failed!

Bless your heart -I have sort of been in your shoes - my "girls" had to do two extra months of quarantine (Early release) becuase I was wrongly advised about the order of things from a so-called professional (rant for another day) so I know your panic.

My girls have been in Quarantine under the early release/PETS scheme since the end of September. They will be liberated on Thursday.  I will tell you that the only thing that made it bearable was that we got a caregiver at their kennel that loves them as much as we do (she decided in week 2 that she wants to take the Westie home with her LOL).  The kennel we chose is in Surrey. We are in London and have no car. Visiting them takes pretty much an entire day (tube to Waterloo, train to Woking, taxi to Ottershaw and then again in reverse). By the time you factor in that we usually have to eat lunch on the go, visiting them costs us about £30 each week. We have managed to go once per week.  The girls to their credit have done very well - just this last visit, they tried to leave with us. We think it is partly because Annie has been off over the holidays.  Our dilemma was we have a small baby and my DH did not want to be away from her for several months while we waited out PETS Scheme's 6 months in the US. And his job started Aug. 1st. I would say, if you can organize your move timeline in order to avoid quarantine, do it. Unfortunately we had no one we could leave them with to wait it out in the US- we had even put the word out on the grapevine that we were willing to pay for someone to keep them and just had no takers.

If you have any specific questions about quarantine, feel free to PM me as I don't always make it to the boards eery day. Good luck with your decision.

Elisabeth
Stop waiting. Start doing.

Sponsored Links