Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Foreign exclusion if in UK only part year?  (Read 825 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Foreign exclusion if in UK only part year?
« on: September 06, 2005, 09:39:49 PM »
I worked in the US from January through March 2005, and US taxes were deducted from my paycheck, as normal.

I moved to the UK in April, and started working there in July.

The IRS website says that I can only take the foreign exclusion if I lived in the UK for a full tax year.  For 2005, I will only have lived in the UK for 9 months.  Does this mean that when I file my 2005 taxes, I will have to pay US taxes on all the money I earned in the UK?  It seems that the US tax year is defined as January to December.

Since not everybody moves to another country on  1  January, there must be a way to deal with this.

• Liked: 0
Re: Foreign exclusion if in UK only part year?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 10:50:09 PM »
For year 2004, I was only in the UK for three months, but for my 2004 taxes my accountant filed for an extension so that I would qualify for foreign earned income exclusion, though I don't think it has to be a tax year.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005, 08:41:31 AM »
sweetpeach- my US accountant did the say thing for me. 
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

• Death and taxes: I'd rather pay tax than be dead.
    • British American Tax
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:00:39 AM »
It has to be a 365 day period.  Depending on what method you choose, it can be a rolling or an entire year.  So April - April is fine. 

You can file either as bonafide resident, in which case you can return to the US for more than 35 days within that time frame, or on a physical presence test, in which case you can not have returned for more than 35 days.

If you meet the physical presence test, you can file your 2005 US tax return on or after April 30th (the end of the first rolling year). 

If you file as a bonafide resident, you can not file until January 2007, to allow one full calendar year to have elapsed.  If you use this method, you have to apply for a special extension (not the usual kind).  Your accountant should know about this form, if s/he doesn't, get an accountant with more foreign experience.

Enjoy living here!  I sure do.
Liz Z i t z o w, EA
British American Tax

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 06:50:25 PM »
I found the form for the foreign exclusion extension on the IRS website. Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 06:53:25 PM by sweetpeach »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab