Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: He said YES!  (Read 3273 times)

• Fanny means WOT?
  • Liked: 0
Re: He said YES!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2003, 10:46:55 PM »
Eliza & Buendia! Y'all ROCK!

I am sooooooo incredibly excited about the information you gave me. I was very concerned that I couldn't follow the PETS' precise steps, and you made it so simple!

I am looking forward to being in gorgeous Wales with my kitty at my side. I've even been to the screen website so that I can put window screens on our place (when we get one). Bear is an indoor-only cat. The things we do for these fur-babies! I just know he's going to love it though...his fur coat will always come in handy (being in Texas, it NEVER has!). Thanks again, and please keep me posted on your progress.

Beth
Met hub online 6 years ago and have been married for 5. Yeah...one of "those" couples. : )

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2003, 09:51:01 AM »
Bear being indoor only, is that because of claws or lack of them?

I always kept my cat indoors before coming here. When I moved across, I wanted another cat but insisted that this one stay inside as well. People were horrified. (Cats aren't really kept indoors here, at least it's not common. That was something I had to get used to.) We wanted a mature cat and asked at the Cats Action Trust for a cat that would be content to stay inside. We actually got one. Well, she loves going outside, but is petrified of the neighbor's bullying cats. So she spends about an hour outside and then comes in.

I wouldn't dare ask for this cat to be declawed because then I might be strung up on animal cruelty charges...they just don't do it here. And she does just fine, claws and all.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Green Chile Guinness?
    • A New Mexican in Dublin
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2003, 02:03:27 PM »
Ethbay, I'm so glad to help... I thought the whole thing was so confusing because I started it last Nov. before PETS was even ok'd for the US yet... They should spell it out step by step on DEFRA but they don't really.

So Arthur is on the couch next to me with his arm over his eyes (he doesn't like the overhead light, I guess).  And now I have to take him to the vet for his rabies booster.  But we don't have a car.  Which means carrying the crate 6 blocks or so. Ugh!  May try to rig it up to my rolling suitcase.  I sometimes miss my little Honda.

I wonder how many of you have cars over here?  It's better not to have one in Dublin's city centre, but it'd be convenient about once every two weeks.

• Fanny means WOT?
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2003, 07:31:15 PM »
Okay, just spoke with my vet and they use the Avid microchip. Is this a no-no? They did tell me that a former colleague of theirs does use HomeAgain, but I'd rather Dr. Norsworthy do everything. [sigh] Can I go to this other person, then return to Bear's doctor? It's the only doctor he's ever had!

The other thing she mentioned on the phone was that they had never heard of sending blood off to Kansas. I zipped online and found out why and she understood. But...sheesh. I'm really perplexed. I don't dare take Bear to another vet! This is a cats-only vet, and they spoil him and make his visits, er...enjoyable.

Lisa, actually Bear has all of his vicious claws. We have to clip them every 3 weeks or he'll tear us apart. We have always been so afraid to lose him to the perils that come with an outdoor life--heartworm, FIV, etc. He gets shots for indoors-only cats. I have considered that he could be an outdoor cat in the UK. I will worry endlessly...you can't even imagine. But I'd consider it if we aren't too near a busy road or a raucous neighborhood. We lost our last cat (who we kidnapped from a terrible owner) to cancer, and I suppose we equated it to her environment before she came to us and the outdoor life. My mom's cat was outdoors at times, and he just died as well. I'm equating cat death with the outdoors...as if they won't ever die if you keep them inside. LOL...oh, how I wish it were so.  :'(

I'm sure this will be moved soon to the PETS chat, but to keep it on topic, I contacted USAA today and we've begun the process of putting the house on the market! SCARY!  :o

Buendia, please give Arthur a high-five from Bear. I'm sooooo glad to hear of your success story!

Beth

Met hub online 6 years ago and have been married for 5. Yeah...one of "those" couples. : )

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2003, 08:58:09 PM »
Both the Home Again and the Avid chip are readable by European scanners.

It will make things easier for both you and your vet if you print out the information from the DEFRA site and give it to your vet.  In this case I would definately print out the information concerning the approved labs in the USA.  There are only two and one of them is for military personnel if I remember correctly.  So, that leaves the lab in Kansas as the only one that can be used.

Also, if your vet has questions, suggest that he call the USDA.

My vet almost threw up her hands when I first explained the procedures that had to be followed.  But then when she read the information and after she called the USDA, she felt more comfortable.  I felt more comfortable also because I knew she understood what had to be done.

• Fanny means WOT?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2003, 03:23:59 AM »
Eliza,
Thank you...I will be following that advice. I know Dr. Norsworthy is a respected veterinarian, and he will appreciate the effort to make Bear's transition a smooth one.

Beth

• Liked: 1
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2003, 04:40:42 AM »
Our vet is working closely with us too.  FYI the results from Kansas are taking up to 6 weeks to process and get back.   :P
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Green Chile Guinness?
    • A New Mexican in Dublin
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2003, 01:47:19 PM »
I also had to print out everything myself and explain the procedure to my vet.  It was annoying, but I felt a lot better knowing I had some control over it.  The vet was really good about it and put all the info in a file to be used in the future.  

Arthur made it to his new vet here yesterday (she was very, very nice).  He says hi to Bear!

One thing I just remembered: a week or so before I left I faxed my forms (PETS cert, vaccination cert, blood test results) to the USDA and they looked it over for me to make sure everything was ok so that on the day of travel there wouldn't be any problems.  

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2003, 06:33:47 PM »
Congrats Beth!  Sounds like you have things well in hand and will be here before you know it!
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Fanny means WOT?
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2003, 05:04:35 PM »
Found out today that since Gareth is a legal resident of the USA, we have to file for a re-entry permit in order for him to be away (in the UK) for more than a year. This is merely a precaution. We're planning to make the move permanent, but things happen. We have to be careful that he can come back to the U.S. without problems, and no way do we want to go through the mess of costly paperwork again here.

Got some info from Sterling movers. It's quite a display really. I'm thinking they must be very expensive (though they are in desperate need of a good editor; oy! the typos!). I've read other posts about Allied and other such movers. We're not moving too much stuff--our bedroom suite and some other odd pieces, but mainly boxes (kitchen stuff and memorabilia). Any idea about a fair price to expect to pay?

We have a meeting with a second real estate agent today. We used her to buy this house, but the one we interviewed on Tuesday was so great, and Gareth was immensely comfortable with him. Seems like this isn't going to be easy and it's the piddliest part of the move!

Gareth's mum will be having valve-replacement surgery on the 10th of Nov. in Manchester. We're very nervous about it, especially since we can't be there. I just hope this puts an end to the problems she's experienced. Why do bad things happen to good people? Perhaps there's a book out there...LOL

Also, have been looking into selling a lot of my small appliances online via ebay. We could stand to earn a tidy sum, if I can get what others have paid in the past.

Sometimes, I look at all that has to be accomplished between now and August (which I think will be our moving month) and I think it impossible. Then, I realize that this forum exists because it is possible, and then I feel better. I've begun dreaming of the UK. Last night, on the news, there was a glut of shootings in our city, and I screamed, "I cannot WAIT to leave this place!"

Danny Boy...

Beth

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2003, 09:30:13 PM »

Sometimes, I look at all that has to be accomplished between now and August (which I think will be our moving month) and I think it impossible. Then, I realize that this forum exists because it is possible, and then I feel better.  

It CAN be done and you can do it!  Set some realistic goals for yourself for each month and tick things off the list as you go.  All the best that things go smoothly!  I hope your mum in law's surgery will also go smoothly and healing vibes for a speedy recovery for her.

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2003, 12:40:37 PM »
I just have to add my 2 cents...

I just moved over (newly married) from NY and brought my two cats with me.  I went through the whole PETS scheme and pulled it off without a hitch, although, I found it to be rather stressful.  I called the USDA and the DEFRA people a couple of times just to MAKE SURE that I had the facts right.  I also had to make proper arrangements with the airlines...  I ended up giving my Vet advice and instructions on how to properly fill out the form.  If they don't do it exactly as instructed, then your cat will have to go into quarrantine for a couple of days.

Well...all this to say that if you have any questions about shipping your pets, feel free to IM me and I'll be happy to help.

At times I felt very overwhelmed about the whole move...  leaving NY... the cats...a new marriage... visa issues... etc. etc.  But I took it one day at a time and , wouldn't ya know -- here I am.  It's all possible.

By the way...Pumpkin and Pearl have adjusted although there were a few days when I was very concerned.  They hid in the cupboards and acted like they were going to DIE.  They also used our sofa as a litter box on the first night here... :-[

Anyway...they got through their trauma and I think have forgotten it ... forgotten that they ever used to live in NY and they sit all day in front of our big window and watch the birds!

Best to you.

Kim

• Fanny means WOT?
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2003, 05:26:53 PM »
Kim,
Thanks for your reply. And you're probably right. We've decided to take it one day at a time. (Hi. I'm Beth, and I'm an anglophile.)

Sometimes I look at Bear and I worry about him going through all of this. Did any of y'all's cats show signs of pain when they got the chip? I cry when he gets vaccinated every year.

I'd love to know if anyone has a precise checklist regarding the PETS thing. I know Defra has stuff, but it's a little less precise.

Beth

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2003, 08:55:30 PM »
My cat was fine getting the chip. I was amazed how simple and quick it was. And she just shrugged it off. I think I may have asked, "you mean it's done? We can go?"
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links