Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What to do about an upset stomach?  (Read 1423 times)

• My home page
  • Liked: 0
What to do about an upset stomach?
« on: October 09, 2003, 06:05:49 AM »
As I sit here at 3 in the morning with a sick kid I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what are some possible upset stomach remedies.  At home we swore by coke syrup and ginger ale.  Now I have seen American gingerale at Sainsburys but haven't tried it so am not sure if it is really American gingerale.

Is there anything at the chemist that people have had success with?  Or any other remedies I might try?

Also is there anything like Immodium AD?  I haven't needed to look for either in the chemist before so I thought I would ask before I go out.  I won't be able to go out first thing in the morning so I thought I might try my luck here.

Thanks for any help

Kathy
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

Re: What to do about an upset stomach?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 07:17:51 AM »
Here's a couple:  peppermint tea (peppermint anything, probably would help), and warm jello (prepared acc. to instructions but not chilled...cooled slightly so as not to burn the tongue.  Dehydration is the thing to watch out for.  Also, potassium loss is a big problem if there's diarrhea or vomiting, so bananas would be good.  Hope your little one gets better and you get some SLEEP.    [smiley=sick.gif]
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love. Then for the second time in the history of the world, we will have discovered fire.

Tielhard de Chardin

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 07:37:44 AM »
Beth has already stated what I would: peppermint tea.  Lemonade or lemon drops or something lemony might also be good.

I understand Immodium does exist here but I think you usually have to go to the counter to ask for it.

Gingerale here is pretty like gingerale back home.  I've also used 7Up or Sprite for upset tummies.  Not sure what else I can remmend at 4 AM that you might have about!  :/  Hope you feel better dear!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2003, 10:08:51 AM »
You can also get pepto here, but again, you have to ask for it.  Hope the little one gets better soon!

• Maggie
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 11:43:23 AM »
Sorry to hear your little one is sick...I hope this morning is better for you both.  Yes, they have Immodium and it comes in all sorts of sizes and shapes...from the dissolving ones, to chewy ones, to just a capsule.  

I also ended up eating something that made me really sick one night, cause I was on an antibiotic, and called the NHS number...they told me to get Coke and stir it until all the bubbles were gone...like 5 minutes...room temp stuff, not cold in anyway...sip a couple of teaspoons every 10 or so minutes....for about 1/2 hour...if after that, tummy is still sick...continue with treatment for the next couple hours...it worked, guess with the bubbles gone, it is like what we could buy back home.  

Here's giving you big ((((hugs)))) for a better day.

RIP my dear sweet Bailey...sorry you had to die so young....

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 05:05:41 PM »
They've got Canada Dry Gingerale (which was my preferred one in the states).  They've also got Immodium.  And Pepto Bismo.

And Saltines!

Sorry to hear the little one is sick, hopefully they recover soon.
**hugs**
wench
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2003, 05:33:24 PM »
I can only agree...in my experience, 7-Up or Sprite, or mints, works pretty much every time.  And Coke with out the bubbles is nice, too, especially if you don't have what my Grandma used to call "white sodee".
Saltines are always good, as are Ritz crackers if there's no saltines (saltines are better though for sick tummies.)
Did you rub the little one's belly and back?  That helps a lot, only for a few minutes, but it does help.  Another thing that used to work for me was to lay on the couch with one leg up on the back.  It takes the pressure off your tummy or something, not sure what but it can help.
Hope this helps, keep us posted!

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2003, 08:15:57 PM »
Everyone else gave the same advice that I would..I hope your little one is better now!

• My home page
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2003, 08:53:15 PM »
Thank you for all the suggestions.  He seems to be doing pretty well.  After the middle of the night vomit session he seems to be doing just fine.  Nothing more has come up so no fever...he's eating...he's goin' to school!!!

I guess I should count my blessings.  Even though he chose the middle of the night to throw up in my bed at least he did it on my hubby's side and on my hubby!

Take care,

Kathy
"Life isn't the party we expected, but while we're here we might as well dance"

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2003, 10:27:27 AM »
*hugs* Kathy...always tough to see a ittle one sick. I'm so glad to hear he's better!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links