Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What about income/money requirements?  (Read 688 times)

• Liked: 0
What about income/money requirements?
« on: September 23, 2005, 12:56:45 PM »
Hello!

I was hoping somebody could give me some idea of what sort of money they'll be looking for at the consulate?

My fiance is a small business owner. He owns a liquor store and a book store. I am a single mom who pretty much lives paycheck to paycheck. I do have some savings, but I think they'll all be spent on the wedding (which I am TRYING to keep small, but people from England keep saying they're coming and the list of people I'll have to feed keeps growing!  >:()

So, I will have NO savings when I apply.

My fiance told me that he would go over all of his finances with me before we were engaged, but when he was here, I tried to get him to sit down and really talk about it and he seemed uncomfortable about it. I wanted to know what the income on the shops were, what the overhead was, what bills he has, what debts, etc.

I am not a gold digger. As long as the consulate is satisfied, I'm happy. I know that his businesses are new and he's still working on breaking even. Also, he's been a bachelor all his life and living on a strict budget - keeping careful track of every penny - isn't something he's used to. And, he hasn't even been taking a salary. When he needs money, he basically just takes it from the til (well, not directly - from his accounts). I know he's not a spendthrift and I don't worry that he's a financial disaster... I'm just frustrated because I can't get him to talk brass tacks with me. I want him to go over a BUDGET. And, I hope I'm making it clear that I'm not just after the man's money or anything... I am a planner and a very frugal person, is all.

I want to know because I don't want to get married and then have the visa denied because he hasn't done the necessary legwork. I'm willing to postpone the wedding until he has a savings account set to a certain amount... as much as I'd hate to do that. It would be better than consumating the marriage and possibly being pregnant here in the US while he has to go back to England until things are sorted out.

<Begin TMI>Because we're Catholic, we have to do marriage preparation, which means he has to make two more trips here to the US before the wedding to meet with the priest and some other preparation stuff. This costs money - he has to stay in a hotel, too - he can't stay with me. And, we won't use any birth control, except Natural Family Planning, and I've started classes and charting for that. I'd like to have more children, but if I'm not sure of finances, then I'm not going to be comfortable risking a pregnancy on the honeymoon.</end TMI>

I don't expect relationship advice here... but I'd really appreciate any information I can get on what sort of financial situations the consulate will look for. Should he look into getting a cosponsor? Not that we'd take any money off of them, but just so the consulate will be happy? How do self-employed people prove their incomes?

Thank you so much for listening to this nonsense!

Re: What about income/money requirements?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 01:57:23 PM »
I'm no pro at this as I am currentley awaiting to get my settlement visa sorted, but when I applied we to were living pay check to pay check and had the same fears as you, so my husbands family insisted they be my finacial sponsor so we wouldnt have to worry about being denied for the reason of not enough money,  my mother in law had to write a finacial promise letter, stating she was fully aware of our finacial situation and was willing to pay my way if I should need it, she also had to send bank statements of her savings along with a mortgage statement showing she owned her own home, she also sent a letter of invite stating that I could live with her if any circumstances happened that we couldnt find housing..(she sent that just to be on the safe side) better to have to much info then not enough)

anyway mabey this could be an alternative that could work for you and your husband to be?

take care

Cella

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 02:02:44 PM »
I think you're right! I don't know how much money his parents have, of course... they're both retired. But, they likely own their own home and have some sort of retirement/pension. It couldn't hurt.

I just hope David is OK with asking theml... like I said, it's not that we intend to take money off of them. David is highly employable, with a lot of retail management experience - so, even if his businesses fail, he can get a job.

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 02:06:38 PM »
it's actually really common to have a finacial sponsor other then your spouse, when my hubby came to the states my uncle finacially sponsored him..it's really just a safe gaurd against you getting on any kind of welfare system over there and they require the same assurance if coming here..I hope his family will do this for you,  I know it eased me alot!

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 02:16:06 PM »
..we were  thinking  to have my BIL lend us money just to put in the account.. and then eventually give it back just so it'd show  as a  higher sum.. but then we decided not to.. My DH is  not self-employed and although  he had letters  from his  manager  and   bank statements.. the lady  was   not 'impressed' at how much we had.. I still am not sure how much is  'enough'.. to be honest ,... it depends on the person that day and what mood they are in.. but  yes.. do take more information than necessary ..better more than less..  (this  was for my spousal visa) .. we were approved that day..   a day I remember vividly crying for joy.. it had been  huge stress to get to that point in my life.

We are also Catholic  so I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.. charting does work.. I have been married  for over a year.. and so far so good..
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

Sponsored Links