Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where to marry?  (Read 783 times)

• Liked: 12
Where to marry?
« on: September 23, 2005, 03:13:51 PM »
I feel like I've said it a thousand times, but I'm over here on a student visa. I have one academic year left. My fiance and I plan to marry in August 2006. Does it matter whether we marry in the US or the UK, if we wanted to continue to live in the UK?
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

• Liked: 0
Re: Where to marry?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 03:22:03 PM »
just to clarify- your finance is a british citizen and you're here on a LLR- right?

On a LLR- if you want to get married in the UK you need a certificate of approval (CoA).  You’d then get married and apply for a LLR based on spouse status.   

If you were to get married in the US- you'd have to apply for a spouse LLR for yourself while still in the USA.  then you'd come back to the uk and live happily ever after...
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 03:23:04 PM »
Thank you!  :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 03:42:09 PM »
I think you have to have at least 6 months left on your student visa in order to be able to get the COA, though.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 06:32:24 PM »
I think you have to have at least 6 months left on your student visa in order to be able to get the COA, though.

3+ works.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
Yeah, I've already gotten the CoA once this past summer and it was approved, but we decided to postpone the actual marriage.

So if we marry in the US (fiance doesn't want to face the massive Scottish wedding we'd have if we married here - he hates being the centre of attention), can we apply for the LLR while in the US? And do we have to wait in the US for the spouse LLR to be approved before we can return to the UK together?

• Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 09:04:06 PM »
If you marry in the US, you'll have to obtain your spousal visa before you return to the UK.  If you apply in person (NY, LA, Chicago), you can have it the same day, provided all of your documentation is in order.  If you apply by post, it shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 11:02:46 AM »
I know things have changed recently, but I got married while on a student visa, married about a month and 2 or 3 days prior to my student visa expiring, went to the home office in person a week later and left with my FLR-M stamp. Easy Peasy.

Sponsored Links