Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any problems with work visas?  (Read 662 times)

• nerdgirl
  • Liked: 0
Any problems with work visas?
« on: September 26, 2005, 08:56:52 AM »
Hi all.

I am new to the boards.  I have a quick question.  Has anyone had any trouble getting a work visa through their company?

I lived and worked in the UK in 2000.  Then moved to Spain where I have been for the past 4 years (talk about impossible to get a Visa! Took me 3 years!). Now am moving back to the UK to begin a new position with a new company.

Back in 2000 I don't even remember doing anything more than giving a copy of my passport to my company and, voila, the visa was ready in about 7 days time.  This time the HR folks at my new company say that it is more difficult to get the work visa sorted out.  I submitted far more paperwork to them.  Has anyone ever had any problems getting a work visa when their company is sponsoring them???
stephanie
www.nerdgirl.com [nofollow]

Re: Any problems with work visas?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 09:53:51 AM »
i recieved a 2 yr work visa through my company sep 03.  i just recieved a renewal for an additional 3 years.  i had to sign some forms, give copies of payslips, bank statements, passport but that's about it.  it's the company's responsibility to justify your job here.  were you asking any specific questions...
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:06:11 AM »
Just curious - Is a work permit different from a work visa? Do you get the permit first to say you're allowed to work then the visa saying you're allowed to stay?

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 10:10:30 AM »
work permit and work visa are the same.  but it is a two step process.  each is handled by a different office.

step one: issued by workingintheuk.gov.com.  your future employer applies through this office for you to work in the UK.  they issue you with a 2-4 year letter. this is all done via post, their offices are in sheffield.

step two: issued by home office.  this letter is used as the basis for Further Leave to Remain (FLR) stamp.  this can be done in person or by post. 

• nerdgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 11:06:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I don't think it will be a problem...the position is senior enough.  I am just a worry wart!
stephanie
www.nerdgirl.com [nofollow]

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 11:20:39 AM »
i'm a worry wart as well.  i only got involved when my company bogged the process (not realizeing there was a step one, going straight to step two).  even though it's eventually the company's responsibility, it pays to do a bit of homework and understand teh steps...

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 03:00:04 PM »
Unfortunately, most employers don't know the first thing about work permit applications, and rely on their lawyers (most of whom have to research as they go along) or their HR departments.  It's good for me, as most of my clients are employers in just this situation, but really it's not that complex.  It's just a question of knowing the rules and making sure all the documents are supplied with the application.  Most applications fail when they should succeed because the people making the application don't read the rules!

Victoria

Sponsored Links