Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Barclays Bank  (Read 1276 times)

• Liked: 0
Barclays Bank
« on: September 30, 2005, 08:59:54 AM »
on the following link it says to open a UK bank account you need: passport, letter from UK employer, address (either US or UK)

http://www.barclays.com/internationalpersonal/ib_4_4_8_finance.htm

Now, this was two years ago.  But when I went into Barclays' bank to open an account with precisely the above information, I was told I NEEDED a UK address (and a bill etc to prove it).  was the teller wrong, is this a special bank account with barclays, or what?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Re: Barclays Bank
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 09:13:39 AM »
I have a Barclays account and had to show a UK bill in my name before they would open an account for me.  Once I did have this, it was a breeze.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 09:26:22 AM »
it's not just barclays...most banks do this.  i had to at lloyds, was told at barclays i had to (and i work for a division of them!)

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 09:40:35 AM »
My husband works for Barclays and he says:

If you have been in the country less than three months, Barclays will take a US utility bill, bank statement or US driver's license as proof of address.

If you have been in the country more than three months, you will have to provide a bill with your UK address or if you are outside of the M25, some branches will accept a letter from a known reputable employer in place of a bill with your address.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 10:21:22 AM »
this is annoying.  i had been in the country less than 3 months, and i had a bank statement to my US address (less than 3 months old).  obvisously, this information has not filtered down to the barclays clerks who deal with inquiries.  i'm settled with natwest now but it was one less thing that i needed to get stressed about 2 years ago.

i wonder if this less than three month, show US proof of addresss is a barclay's thing or a natwest/lloyds etc.  because my experience was identical to aimiloo and maddierose, had to have UK utility bill (preferably council tax statement) b/f opening account.
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 07:56:44 PM »
this is annoying. i had been in the country less than 3 months, and i had a bank statement to my US address (less than 3 months old). obvisously, this information has not filtered down to the barclays clerks who deal with inquiries. i'm settled with natwest now but it was one less thing that i needed to get stressed about 2 years ago.

i wonder if this less than three month, show US proof of addresss is a barclay's thing or a natwest/lloyds etc. because my experience was identical to aimiloo and maddierose, had to have UK utility bill (preferably council tax statement) b/f opening account.

My apologies for responding to this so late.  I see that you are now all fixed. Our ID requirements change frequently both in line with our regulators requirements and external factors i.e 7/7, financial exclusion etc.

As a general rule of thumb it's usually a good idea to ask to speak with the manager of a branch, more experienced and a greater chance of client focus.

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 11:01:30 AM »
We have an account with Barclays, which was no easy feat, but now I have a question about deposits. Why does it take so long for a check to post in our account? I deposited a check written from a Barclay's account (my partner's employer), into our Barclays account, which one would expect to post right away or at most, the end of the business day, but I am on my 2nd day waiting for it to clear. Does anyone know why this would be?

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:59:12 PM »
We have an account with Barclays, which was no easy feat, but now I have a question about deposits. Why does it take so long for a check to post in our account? I deposited a check written from a Barclay's account (my partner's employer), into our Barclays account, which one would expect to post right away or at most, the end of the business day, but I am on my 2nd day waiting for it to clear. Does anyone know why this would be?
The credit should have reached your account on the same day assuming it was paid in before 'cut off' usually an hour before the branch closes (Saturday does not count as a working day).

If it has not shown on your account by end of the next day I suggest you contact the branch you paid it into on 08457555555 and ask them to investigate.

Your question may be not about posting but about 'clearance' as this is both dull and convoluted if you want a full explanation drop me a pm.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab