Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Overdue on Filing Taxes  (Read 1072 times)

Overdue on Filing Taxes
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:57:41 PM »
Eek! This boards reminds me I'm well overdue to file my US taxes. I'm not worried too much. I know I don't owe any money to the IRS. I file jointly with hubby as he has his TIN. I need to find out all hubby’s pay slips from last year, as well as mine! I don’t know why I’m so behind this year. I usually have it done before June! It is definitely getting to be a pain having to do this every year. I think I’m too used the UK way of doing it - which means it’s already calculated unless you’re self-employed. lol

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
Re: Overdue on Filing Taxes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 03:14:56 PM »
I've just sent in 5 years worth....I haven't bothered........but had been told you are suppose to be filing...even if you don't make or owe the IRS.  >:(

But also, as we have filed I-130 papers you have to show where you filed taxes as well.........or so we have been led to believe....

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 03:55:18 PM »
I know it's extremely frustrating to have to do it every year until we die. What a load of rubbish!

I don’t feel so bad now I’m overdue to file for last year!!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 02:51:25 AM »
I just filed for the past three years. One year I was a grad student and two were while I was volunteering in Africa. How pathetic huh? Happily, I just received a return from 2002 so it was worth it.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 03:31:40 PM »
I think as long as you don’t owe the IRS any money, you’re okay with filing them late!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 03:49:37 PM »
Why do we have to file if we owe no US tax or earn US income?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 03:53:46 PM »
Because the US government is VERY VERY VERY possessive of those who just happened to be born on its soil.  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 03:59:31 PM »
Because the US government is VERY VERY VERY possessive of those who just happened to be born on its soil. ::)
Blah! Well I haven't filed in the five years I have been here. I also haven't registered the births of my two youngest sons. Hows that for rebellion!
I have no intention of ever moving back to the USA...Peedal's statement is part of the reason why but that's a new topic for a different thread.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 04:39:45 PM »
You mean I'm not the only one?!

WHEW  ;D
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 05:27:44 PM »
You mean I'm not the only one?!

WHEW  ;D
OMG!!! I thought I was the only one!!! LOL  How long have you been here?
OK, fess up everyone!

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 05:37:12 PM »
I'm just overdue for last year, and I thought they'd come after me  ::)

(I owe nothing, and in fact might be owed, and have never filed late before...and I was still paranoid!)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 10:27:49 PM »
I'm overdue, but the accountant filed for an extension and I am getting a nice big a$$ refund.  I'm also getting a nice big a$$ refund from the UK as well.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 10:34:28 PM »
I'm not going to file. why should I? I don't work there, and I'm not planning on setting foot on American soil again, not even for a visit. ..As for our daughters birth... Nope not registering it.. *wears her Pebbles for president shirt even more proudly now* ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:38:17 PM by EnglandsYank »

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 08:45:07 AM »
I think I'll continue to file, but it's not going to be a priority for me. I'm too busy really to worry about it too much! I'd like to entertain the idea of moving back to the States. I used to have nightmares of having to leave the UK and being forced back to the US before I was ready. I don't have them anymore -- not since I received UK citizenship! Now I don't have to move back if I don't want to. Perhaps -- when we have more money, etc -- we can have a holiday home in the States instead. lol Then I could visit and get my fill of American culture and return. lol

Sponsored Links