Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visitor's Insurance  (Read 2440 times)

Visitor's Insurance
« on: October 03, 2005, 04:38:38 AM »
I am moving to Scotland next year and I am very worried about Medical Care.

Will I be able to get medical care on my own as a Visitor in Scotland? I would image that I can just pay for it, and if that's so, is it very expensive? Does anyone know if there will be some type of plan or something I can get?

I will be there as a Visitor for sometime until things become more permanent, such as marriage or something, but in the time being what does one do?

What if I was to become Pregnant? Also curious about Dental care as well? Is that expensive as well? I now that both questions would depend on what care I need, so I guess I am mostly curious if there is any type of Medical Plan I can purchase that would carry me for like a year at a time?

Thank you for any advice
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 04:40:09 AM by Pabby »

Re: Visitor's Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 06:22:07 AM »
If you are here as a visitor, you are not eligible for NHS care, so yes... you would have to pay privately for your medical and dental care.   
Unfortunately, i dont know how much this costs.  :-\\\\

BUPA is the main/most well known private health care thingmy in the UK... you could do a google search on that, and see what info is available?

I saw elsewhere that you are intending to marry... if you are here on a fiancee visa, or if you are settled here as the wife of a UK citizen, then you will be eligible for NHS healthcare.

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 06:23:06 AM »
When I moved to England on a Visitors Visa a few years ago I got travel insurance through my father.  I think it was about $1,500 to $2,000 for the year.  (this was through a US company)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »
I am moving to Scotland next year and I am very worried about Medical Care.

Will I be able to get medical care on my own as a Visitor in Scotland? I would image that I can just pay for it, and if that's so, is it very expensive? Does anyone know if there will be some type of plan or something I can get?

I will be there as a Visitor for sometime until things become more permanent, such as marriage or something, but in the time being what does one do?

What if I was to become Pregnant? Also curious about Dental care as well? Is that expensive as well? I now that both questions would depend on what care I need, so I guess I am mostly curious if there is any type of Medical Plan I can purchase that would carry me for like a year at a time?

Thank you for any advice

You can only be a visitor for up to 6 months at one time.  And if you decide to get married, you're going to have to return to the US to get the appropriate visa PRIOR to getting married.

And if you're not even planning marriage, why wouldn't you be taking precautions AGAINST getting pregnant whilst having no immigration status in a foreign country?  Just a word of warning - the immigration rules aren't different if you become pregnant.  You would still have to return to the US for any sort of settlement visa. 

Also - what do you mean by "or something"?  Because you can't look for work if you're a visitor.  And if you wanted to enrol in university - again, you'd have to leave the country to apply from the US.

Just want you going into this with wide open eyes about the legalities - there's more than just health care to think about.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 09:05:18 AM »
if you're leaving a job in the US- can you switch from their medical plan to COBRA?  That should cover you for 2 years I think.  The only pain is that you will get treatment in the UK, pay in the UK, and then have to claim all the money back.  I also think this would only cover emergency care, not pregnancy or routine testing etc. 
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 02:45:15 PM »
If you are here as a visitor, you are not eligible for NHS care, so yes... you would have to pay privately for your medical and dental care.   
Unfortunately, i don't know how much this costs.  :-\\\\

BUPA is the main/most well known private health care thingmy in the UK... you could do a google search on that, and see what info is available?

I saw elsewhere that you are intending to marry... if you are here on a fiancee visa, or if you are settled here as the wife of a UK citizen, then you will be eligible for NHS healthcare.

Hello otterpop,

Yeah things seem to need some clearing up on our end. We were told by a friend sometime ago, that we needed to prove (my boyfriend and I) that we were residing in the same household for two years before they would allow us to marry. I think I read it here, or perhaps a reply to me last nite, that that was not the case. I need to look into that.. so in any event.. until we do marry.. I need to figure out something in the meantime, just in case. I am a regular Dental visit type of person and women doctor visit type of person as well. Some might think I'm a bit too worried of future health issues, but lots of things run in my family so I don't like to take chances.

When we do marry, then I know at that time I will be covered by NHS.. and all.. and even private health care if we wanted to. Just wanted to find out what I could do as a NON-Citizen for the time being.

I will do that goggle search.. Thank you :)

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 02:48:31 PM »
When I moved to England on a Visitors Visa a few years ago I got travel insurance through my father.  I think it was about $1,500 to $2,000 for the year.  (this was through a US company)
'

Hi Stacey..

Was this a private health Insurance package? And did it cover all medical treatments and visits? or just emergency? :)

Someone or somewhere I read about Cobra.. I could do that.. but I think cobra just covered emergency visits.. :) I will also have to ask work about that. But I do know Cobra is pretty expensive here.. 12 years ago when I switched jobs.. I was without insurance for 3 months. They wanted $900 for the package.. costing $300 a month.. I didn't take it.. and wouldn't ya know.. I cut my finger off.. lol.. during that time..  :-[ I've learned my lesson and will always arrange for insurance somehow..

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 03:05:44 PM »

Someone or somewhere I read about Cobra.. I could do that.. but I think cobra just covered emergency visits.. :) I will also have to ask work about that. But I do know Cobra is pretty expensive here.. 12 years ago when I switched jobs.. I was without insurance for 3 months. They wanted $900 for the package.. costing $300 a month.. I didn't take it.. and wouldn't ya know.. I cut my finger off.. lol.. during that time..  :-[ I've learned my lesson and will always arrange for insurance somehow..

COBRA is very expensive because you're staying on the company's plan but paying for the premiums yourself. So, you'd be paying whatever the company was paying for you and usually an additional 2% administrative fee. I used to be the Benefits Administrator for my company and used to help people out with trying to find individual plans because COBRA is usually not an option for people as they usually can't afford it. Paying for a family usually costs over $1,000 a month!

Anyway, I would definitely not recommend going on COBRA if you are moving out of the country. You'll be paying extremely high premiums for emergency care. The cost to cover yourself will probably be $200-$300 a month. I think you'd be better off purchasing a travel insurance plan.

I'm confused about how you're managing to move to the UK as a visitor...  You mentioned something about needing to live together for 2 years before you could marry but that's not the case. You might be confused with the rules for getting an unmarried partners visa. Also, if you really are planning on moving here on a visitors visa I hope you are not planning on overstaying your visa. This will cause serious problems when you do get married. If you're confused about what your options are, there are a lot of people here who can offer helpful advice.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »
You can only be a visitor for up to 6 months at one time.  And if you decide to get married, you're going to have to return to the US to get the appropriate visa PRIOR to getting married.

And if you're not even planning marriage, why wouldn't you be taking precautions AGAINST getting pregnant whilst having no immigration status in a foreign country?  Just a word of warning - the immigration rules aren't different if you become pregnant.  You would still have to return to the US for any sort of settlement visa. 

Also - what do you mean by "or something"?  Because you can't look for work if you're a visitor.  And if you wanted to enrol in university - again, you'd have to leave the country to apply from the US.

Just want you going into this with wide open eyes about the legalities - there's more than just health care to think about.

Hello Peedel

I know that I can only be on a visiting visa for 6 months at one time. I have a friend whom is currently going back and forth to Italy on a Visit Visa every 5 months. Comes home to visit family and then heads back to her love.

As for the appropriate visa prior to us getting married, I do believe I read that as well... however.. I will have to look into all that more. That's a bit ahead of what we (my boyfriend and I) wanted to discuss. We would like to be sure first before we jump into marriage.. just because it would be easier for me to stay there if we were married, is still no reason to do that. We also do not want anyone dictating to us how our lives should be live ya know.. So if in the meantime I need to go back and forth and reapply for visit visa's then thats what we'll do.. I will want to come home ever few months anyway to see my family. I am one of 8 children.. with both parents living.. and 16 nieces and nephews. Its not something I will just walk away from and not want to go back to.

And long distance relationships are pretty tricky ya know. The "or something" is just a way to NOT plan to far ahead.. and get too ahead of ourselves. No point in saying its gonna be forever... until we are both sure.. or as sure as any two people are or can be, even living in the same city as one another.  We do love eachother very much and want to be together, but I also believe we should actually live in the same country for a while before we marry.. I have another friend from Detroit MI who is now living in Scotand with My good friend.. but she is there on a sponsorship visa.. because she didn't have a job here or any money of her own what so ever, to back her stay there in Scotland. So my friend sponsored her to see if their relationship could work. The whole process for her to get there.. was pretty painless for them. And she was there in a matter of 2 months time.. start to finish. I have money and a backing to up for myself.. so.. no sudden decisions will be made ya know? :) And gods no.. I've been done with school for .. ermm... well a lot of years.. lol.. won't be going that route.. lol

As for getting pregnant.. we'll I firstly believe I will spend the rest of my life with my boyfriend, and secondly, I am not a child. If I fall pregnant.. so be it.  It will all work out. I know that there will not be any different rules for immigration for me, but I know the child would be accepted as a UK Citizen, and if that is what happens, then that's all that matters.

My eyes are as wide open as possible at the moment.. I mean.. I used to wear glasses.. but I had that laser surgery.. LMAO..  HEHEH.. Just joking.. :)

Thank you for your words.. and I do appreciate all the replies and information I get here.. It is why I'm here..

And yeah.. I'm a bit of a worry wort with Medical issues..  :-[ lol.. It's like.. OMG I wont have my dentist? lol.. but hey I can always go to the checkups when I come home right? :)

Thanks again.. hope to speak to you again

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 03:16:40 PM »
Hello Peedel

I know that I can only be on a visiting visa for 6 months at one time. I have a friend whom is currently going back and forth to Italy on a Visit Visa every 5 months. Comes home to visit family and then heads back to her love.

It's great if you can get this to work for you but a lot of people can't. UK immigration isn't too keen on visitors staying for long periods of time over and over and they get very suspicious. The first time I tried to come over, I wanted to come over for 5 months to stay with my boyfriend (husband now) and immigration turned me right back around.

A lot of people have to get married before they maybe would have liked due to immigration rules. Definitely don't get married before you're sure or ready though. My husband and I were absolutely sure we wanted to marry...it just would have been nice to get to spend lots of time planning a wedding instead of having a civil ceremony in a courthouse but I don't regret it. I'm here with him and happier than I've ever been.

Just be aware that your plan might not work out the way you'd like. It isn't always easy dealing with immigration in these situations and it just makes it that much harder for couples living in different countries.

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005, 03:17:36 PM »
COBRA is very expensive because you're staying on the company's plan but paying for the premiums yourself. So, you'd be paying whatever the company was paying for you and usually an additional 2% administrative fee. I used to be the Benefits Administrator for my company and used to help people out with trying to find individual plans because COBRA is usually not an option for people as they usually can't afford it. Paying for a family usually costs over $1,000 a month!

Anyway, I would definitely not recommend going on COBRA if you are moving out of the country. You'll be paying extremely high premiums for emergency care. The cost to cover yourself will probably be $200-$300 a month. I think you'd be better off purchasing a travel insurance plan.

I'm confused about how you're managing to move to the UK as a visitor...  You mentioned something about needing to live together for 2 years before you could marry but that's not the case. You might be confused with the rules for getting an unmarried partners visa. Also, if you really are planning on moving here on a visitors visa I hope you are not planning on overstaying your visa. This will cause serious problems when you do get married. If you're confused about what your options are, there are a lot of people here who can offer helpful advice.

Hello among_the_stars

thanks for you reply.. You are totally right about COBRA.. its why I was out in the cold some 12 years ago.. but hey I was younger then and never thought anything could happen to me in a matter of 3 months.. :)

I will look into this travelers insurance. Do you know if it covers everything? I thought it was just emergency visits? and can you or anyone recommend who to go Thur.. Like American Express or something like that? I've never had travelers insurance before.. Never needed it as I've been covered with work so I am unsure where to even start with that..

What I was told by a few friends, was that I can go back and forth to Scotland on a visitors visa ever six months. I would have to leave before the 6 months are up and then back again, and do that a few times before we decided to marry. I do not want to just marry him.. not that I don't love him as I've said, but hey.. we've never lived together.. so we have to try that out first ya know.

I've been in contact with the British Embassy and their website. I need money in the bank to back up my visit.. you know.. show I can pay for myself while there and not rely on the countries resources.. and I am well balanced in my savings to prove that for sometime. Luck that my old house sold for double what I paid here in NY.. Anyway.. that's what I was trying to accomplish to get us started. So I thought all I needed to do was arrange for insurance and such. Maybe I am wrong.. which is a good indication of why I'm here in the first place :D .. to read and learn.. ya know..

I'm NOW gonna look into this Finance visa.. I don't know if him and I will fall under the category. I have to see..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 03:24:02 PM by Pabby »

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 03:21:46 PM »
It's great if you can get this to work for you but a lot of people can't. UK immigration isn't too keen on visitors staying for long periods of time over and over and they get very suspicious. The first time I tried to come over, I wanted to come over for 5 months to stay with my boyfriend (husband now) and immigration turned me right back around.

A lot of people have to get married before they maybe would have liked due to immigration rules. Definitely don't get married before you're sure or ready though. My husband and I were absolutely sure we wanted to marry...it just would have been nice to get to spend lots of time planning a wedding instead of having a civil ceremony in a courthouse but I don't regret it. I'm here with him and happier than I've ever been.

Just be aware that your plan might not work out the way you'd like. It isn't always easy dealing with immigration in these situations and it just makes it that much harder for couples living in different countries.

Why did they turn you around? How long ago was this?

I mean.. i have a friend doing it this way in Italy right now.. Its how I was told about it. ya know. I mean.. I don't know..

I also know they offer a 6 month.. 1 year.. 5 year and 10 year Visit Visa's so why do they offer such long ones, if they have issues with it all. I found this information on a UK Visa site.. and I posted it in another thread here last nite for someone else who asked me where I read this information.. I just dont get it.

I would be alot easier if I could just go to the UK Embassy here and ask them.. but I fear.. I'll never get in without waiting for days.. It might be the best option thought.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 03:24:31 PM »
i knew COBRA was expensive- but i had no idea it was that expensive.  OUCH!  glad i didn't have to go down that route when i moved over here.

i've never heard of a 'sponsorship' visa.  

have you been living with your partner for 2 years in the USA?  If so, you can apply for a Unmarried partner visa.

if you have a partner here and you come over and stay for 6 months, and then leave for 6 months, and them come back again for 6 months it may eventually flag up to the immigration officers.  the max you can stay as a visitor is 6 months in one go. also, the total amount in one year cannot be more than 6 months.  so you can some and go as a VISITOR 6 times during the year, only if the total amount of time is not greater than 6 months.  it's not only month that you will need to prove to the immigration officer when you go through the airport- it's also an intention to return to the USA.  to do this you will need a return ticket, a letter from your employer woulnd't go amiss.

if you and your partner intend to marry within 6 months- you are eligable for a finance visa- will have to prove that you actually have a relationship and that the sponsoring partner (the one in the UK) can support the two of you (because on a finance visa you cannot work)

a lot to deal with- but get your info and then make an informed decision  

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 03:25:32 PM »
Actually, if you're not married when your hypothetical child is born, he/she WON'T be considered a UK citizen - they will only get the US citizenship from you.  Once you marry the child's father, then the citizenship will be conferred.  But until that time, the child won't have any more right to live in the UK than you would.

And you can't take for granted that you'll get approval for mutliple "visitor visa" applications.  What happens if you get turned down because they think you're attempting to "settle" without going the appropriate route?  And those visas cost money, as do the trips back and forth.  

I'm curious about this "sponsorship" visa your friend has, as well.  Because there really isn't any such thing.  You either come over as a Fiancee, a Spouse, an Unmarried Partner, on a Work Permit or as a Student.  If you have a direct parental claim to UK citizenship, that is an option, as is the Highly Skilled Migrant Program.  But as far as I know, it's really not possible for a person to simply "sponsor" another person to live in the UK...

Also - if you are in the UK as a visitor, you cannot work or even seek work - or even volunteer to pass the time.

I'm not trying to come down on you - but there is a lot more to this than simply upping sticks and "moving" without any sort of true settlement visa.

EVEN with prior visa clearance from a British Consulate in the US, an Immigration Officer at the UK port of entry would be able to deny you entry if he/she feels you obtained the visa through any sort of mis-representation.  And coming in as a "visitor" when you intend to "move" to the UK could be construed as mis-representing your situation.

I always like to see anyone's immigration to the UK run as smoothly as possible - because, you see, mine didn't.  :-\\\\
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 03:28:58 PM »
the long term visitor visa is for example....

"i'm a business woman from algeria.  i require a visa to enter the UK every time I enter the country.  i'm coming to the UK twice a year for the next 5 years (2 weeks at a time, 4 weeks in total every year).  instead of buying a visa (hassle and expense) everytime i want to come to the UK, I get a long term visitor visa."

The visitor visa can also be used by USA nationals who want to come to the UK as a VISITOR, but who have been denied entry before or are worried that they won't be let in (travel 8 hours on plane, just to be turned around again....).  although, having this visitor visa isn't a 100% certainty.  if the IO thinks you're going to settle in the UK, and are trying to sneak in, you may be denied entry, or given limited entry (7 days, etc)

Sponsored Links