Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visitor's Insurance  (Read 2441 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Visitor's Insurance
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 03:34:19 PM »
Why did they turn you around? How long ago was this?

I mean.. i have a friend doing it this way in Italy right now.. Its how I was told about it. ya know. I mean.. I don't know..

I also know they offer a 6 month.. 1 year.. 5 year and 10 year Visit Visa's so why do they offer such long ones, if they have issues with it all. I found this information on a UK Visa site.. and I posted it in another thread here last nite for someone else who asked me where I read this information.. I just dont get it.

I would be alot easier if I could just go to the UK Embassy here and ask them.. but I fear.. I'll never get in without waiting for days.. It might be the best option thought.

Italian immigration and UK immigration aren't the same, of course. I'm not saying this can't be done here...but I do know that it doesn't work for a lot of people. I have no doubts that some people may be able to pull it off. Some people seem to have extremely good luck when it comes to dealing with immigration officials. Having enough money in the bank to support yourself is definitely a must, but not a guarantee that immigration will let you through.

I was denied entry last December. The immigration officer told me that she didn't believe I had enough money to support myself for that length of time even though I was staying with my boyfriend and the officer spoke to him herself. She told me I needed to prove I'd have enough money for a hotel for 5 months in case he kicked me out!!! Like, I wouldn't have changed my flight to go home sooner...she didn't care. It wasn't the real reason for denying me entry anyway. The official reason she wrote down was that she didn't believe I was seeking entry as a visitor.... they saw me as a risk for overstaying my visa.

I can't comment on the visitor visas that are good for years. I believe it's something set up that allows you to buy clearance entry for multiply entries over several years. It doesn't mean you're going to get in. You'd still only be able to stay for a maximum of 6 months at a time. I believe it's set up for people who are required to have a visa prior to entering the country (not coming in on the visa waiver program).

As for the insurance stuff...I'm not sure if there are any plans to cover you for regular doctor visits outside of the country. I've personally never researched it or come across them. I was recommending travel insurance for emergency visits since that's all COBRA will likely cover anyway. I'd recommend starting by calling up a travel agency and asking them about it. I'm sure they would know.

I really do wish you the best of luck in your situation. Keep coming around here and keep doing research to be as prepared as you can when you try to come over.

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 03:43:59 PM »
i knew COBRA was expensive- but i had no idea it was that expensive.  OUCH!  glad i didn't have to go down that route when i moved over here.

I've never heard of a sponsorship visa.  

have you been living with your partner for 2 years in the USA?  If so, you can apply for a Unmarried partner visa.

if you have a partner here and you come over and stay for 6 months, and then leave for 6 months, and them come back again for 6 months it may eventually flag up to the immigration officers.  the max you can stay as a visitor is 6 months in one go. also, the total amount in one year cannot be more than 6 months.  so you can some and go as a VISITOR 6 times during the year, only if the total amount of time is not greater than 6 months.  it's not only month that you will need to prove to the immigration officer when you go through the airport- it's also an intention to return to the USA.  to do this you will need a return ticket, a letter from your employer wouldn't go amiss.

if you and your partner intend to marry within 6 months- you are eligible for a finance visa- will have to prove that you actually have a relationship and that the sponsoring partner (the one in the UK) can support the two of you (because on a finance visa you cannot work)

a lot to deal with- but get your info and then make an informed decision  

Hello Meggles..

Yeah Cobra is a tad bit.

I have not been living with my partner in the US. He is from Scotland and I am here. We've been back and forth over the past three years about 15 or so times. Our trips last about 3 weeks to a month each visit and thats it just now.

Now.. perhaps I am taking the advice of this friend of mine going back and forth to Italy. Perhaps things for her have not hit the fan yet.. but yes she is doint it this way. Its been about a year and a half now since she first started her visits to Italy. I will have to ask her yet again when I speak to her exactly how she is doing this.

I will not have an employer anylong once I move. I will be unemployed, thus replying on my bank account as my financial backing so there will never be a letter from my employer.  And I know that I will not be allowed to work on either visa.

As far as the sponsorship visa.. I see that none of you hear have heard of it.. but its very much in existence.. take a look here.. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977150088

Thats only one page for that type of visa that I've read. My friend in Scotland.. invited this girl from the US. He proved he would provide for her while she was there living with him and it all went Thur. It is not a "finance" visa or anything of that type but a sponsorship.. just like a company would do if they sponsored someone to come there to work.  And as for where abouts I got my information.. I  know I posed it in the VISA thread last nite..

Here:

How long will my visa be valid for?
With a visit visa you can usually enter and leave the UK any number of times while the visa is still valid. The Entry Clearance Officer (ECO) may occasionally limit a visa so that it is valid for only one entry. You cannot stay for longer than six months on each visit. Visit visas can be valid for six months, one year, two years, five years or ten years. You can apply for a visa valid for any of these periods. The ECO may decide to make your visa valid for a shorter time than you have asked for, for example if you are not a regular traveler or have never visited the UK before.

And the website is.. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1018696642519#Q4

hope that worked.. I just copied it from the other thread

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 03:57:57 PM »
Actually, if you're not married when your hypothetical child is born, he/she WON'T be considered a UK citizen - they will only get the US citizenship from you.  Once you marry the child's father, then the citizenship will be conferred.  But until that time, the child won't have any more right to live in the UK than you would.

And you can't take for granted that you'll get approval for mutliple "visitor visa" applications.  What happens if you get turned down because they think you're attempting to "settle" without going the appropriate route?  And those visas cost money, as do the trips back and forth.  

I'm curious about this "sponsorship" visa your friend has, as well.  Because there really isn't any such thing.  You either come over as a Fiancee, a Spouse, an Unmarried Partner, on a Work Permit or as a Student.  If you have a direct parental claim to UK citizenship, that is an option, as is the Highly Skilled Migrant Program.  But as far as I know, it's really not possible for a person to simply "sponsor" another person to live in the UK...

Also - if you are in the UK as a visitor, you cannot work or even seek work - or even volunteer to pass the time.

I'm not trying to come down on you - but there is a lot more to this than simply upping sticks and "moving" without any sort of true settlement visa.

EVEN with prior visa clearance from a British Consulate in the US, an Immigration Officer at the UK port of entry would be able to deny you entry if he/she feels you obtained the visa through any sort of mis-representation.  And coming in as a "visitor" when you intend to "move" to the UK could be construed as mis-representing your situation.

I always like to see anyone's immigration to the UK run as smoothly as possible - because, you see, mine didn't.  :-\\\\

Hello Peedel

I'm sorry to say but your posts are coming off a bit.. well mean.. I don't know how else to put it. If I have a "Hypothetical Child".. or even an Unexpected pregnancy.. then I'll deal with it. You don't need to bold things, as I am only just replying here as I've been told in the past. Incorrect as it might be to you.. or not.. I'm here to talk and get information. You also don't need to Cap ever point or Italic it either.. I'm 33 years old wanting very much to start on this new path in life with a wonderful man that I was lucky enough to meet by some sort of freak accident Via the internet.... and if by Chance I have a Unmarried pregnancy.. fine.. we will deal with it then.. as if an unmarried mother was never spoken of before.

I am not taking anything for granted .... I am merely explaining how things have been explained to me. No where have I said that I knew exactly how I was getting to the UK.. If I knew that.. I wouldn't be here..

and I am sorry but you are wrong. There is very much a thing called a "sponsorship visa". He provided to the UK to be able to provide for this young lady financially, so that she could come and live with him in Scotland by submitting his paystubs.. Invited her via a written invitation.. and in two months time, she was and is still there since August 05. I've posted a link already about it. They are not doing a Finance Visa. Not at all. It is called a sponsorship visa.

and I already told you that I knew I couldn't work in the UK.. and all that.. I have enough money of my own to live there for 2 years if need be. But nevertheless, I'm sorry, you are coming down very hard in your replies.. and in this case.. I'll just leave it with that. I'm sorry that your immigration to the UK didn't run smoothly, but I take it with ever case, there will be some differences.. so.. as I've said.. I'm here to learn and read.. and we'll see were it goes.

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 04:00:06 PM »
Now.. perhaps I am taking the advice of this friend of mine going back and forth to Italy. Perhaps things for her have not hit the fan yet.. but yes she is doint it this way. Its been about a year and a half now since she first started her visits to Italy. I will have to ask her yet again when I speak to her exactly how she is doing this.

Pabby, things might be very different in Italy. You'd be better off seaking advice from people who have experience with UK immigration. The rules are likely different.

As far as the sponsorship visa.. I see that none of you hear have heard of it.. but its very much in existence.. take a look here.. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977150088

Thats only one page for that type of visa that I've read. My friend in Scotland.. invited this girl from the US. He proved he would provide for her while she was there living with him and it all went Thur. It is not a "finance" visa or anything of that type but a sponsorship.. just like a company would do if they sponsored someone to come there to work.  And as for where abouts I got my information.. I  know I posed it in the VISA thread last nite..

The information on that page states that the person seeking entry can stay for no longer than six months.

How can my visitor come to the United Kingdom?
An entry clearance officer must be satisfied that your visitor meets the requirements of the Immigration Rules, which are that:

he or she is seeking entry as a visitor for no more than six months and
he or she intends to leave the United Kingdom on completion of his or her visit and
he or she has enough money to maintain and accommodate himself or herself without working, or help from Public funds (income support, housing benefit, etc.)

And, again, the information about getting visitors visa that are valid for longer than six months just means you can gain entry to the UK with it multiply times. You can't get a visitor visa that is good for 10 years, come into the UK and stay for 10 years. It doesn't work that way.

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 04:01:26 PM »
the long term visitor visa is for example....

"i'm a business woman from algeria.  i require a visa to enter the UK every time I enter the country.  i'm coming to the UK twice a year for the next 5 years (2 weeks at a time, 4 weeks in total every year).  instead of buying a visa (hassle and expense) everytime i want to come to the UK, I get a long term visitor visa."

The visitor visa can also be used by USA nationals who want to come to the UK as a VISITOR, but who have been denied entry before or are worried that they won't be let in (travel 8 hours on plane, just to be turned around again....).  although, having this visitor visa isn't a 100% certainty.  if the IO thinks you're going to settle in the UK, and are trying to sneak in, you may be denied entry, or given limited entry (7 days, etc)

Ok so your saying that the Long term visa is not for "regular" people? I've not looked into it at all.. Just seen it here on that UKVisa site.. and its not clear as to what it pertains to .. which is why I really don't like all these sites. Even the PETS site was difficult to go thru.

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 04:15:04 PM »
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977150088

This links looks like it's for a visitor Visa.  When applying for a visitor visa, you can be sponsored by someone.  I think this is what you're talking about.

Pabby- what do you mean by "regular" people? 

If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 04:26:19 PM »
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977150088

This links looks like it's for a visitor Visa.  When applying for a visitor visa, you can be sponsored by someone.  I think this is what you're talking about.

Pabby- what do you mean by "regular" people? 

Sorry.. I mean someone who is not going over to the UK on business. Someone like me.. regular. lol.. sorry..

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 04:33:01 PM »
Sorry if I sound mean.  But when you state things as facts - like you KNOW that your child will be a UK citizen when it won't...well, I feel the need to correct you.  If correction = mean, then I apologise again.

From your own link:

An entry clearance officer must be satisfied that your visitor meets the requirements of the Immigration Rules, which are that:

he or she intends to leave the United Kingdom on completion of his or her visit
and
he or she has enough money to maintain and accommodate himself or herself without working, or help from Public funds (income support, housing benefit, etc.)

And, yes, I underlined that bit to point it out.

Also
This page is primarily for someone who is sponsoring a visa national, but will also be useful if you want to sponsor a visitor who is not a visa national. You may also want to read the Sponsors (INF 3) guidance note which gives more detail.
  BTW - you as a US citizen are not considered a visa national, just in case you were wondering.

And Sponsors (INF3) guidance note says, again

How can my visitor come to the UK?
Your visitor must show that:

they want to visit the UK for no more than six months
they intend to leave the UK at the end of their visit, and
they have enough money to support themselves and live in the UK without working or needing any help from public funds

and

How long can my visitor stay?
Your visitor can stay in the UK for up to six months each visit. A visit visa gives the person permission to enter the UK and allows them to visit the UK as often as they like while their visa is still valid.

If your visitor travels to the UK regularly, they can apply for a visa that is valid for up to 10 years, but they can only stay for up to six months on each visit.

This visa is NOT for someone whose intention it is to ultimately settle in the UK.

And if trying to make sure someone else doesn't suffer the embarrassment of being REFUSED ENTRY when they feel they are doing things that are *technically* legal is mean - then I  guess I'll just bow out of this thread and let you continue on your way.

Just seen too many people coming here for help, getting good, clear, concise advice which they decide they don't want to follow, and then coming back asking how to fix the mess they've gotten themselves into.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 04:35:08 PM »
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=9896.msg97162#msg97162

this is a link to a post the the resident immigration 'guru'.  on it is a pdf for a sample sponsorship letter for someone coming over on a visitor visa. 

good luck figuring out what to do.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »
Pabby, things might be very different in Italy. You'd be better off seaking advice from people who have experience with UK immigration. The rules are likely different.

The information on that page states that the person seeking entry can stay for no longer than six months.

he or she intends to leave the United Kingdom on completion of his or her visit and

And, again, the information about getting visitors visa that are valid for longer than six months just means you can gain entry to the UK with it multiply times. You can't get a visitor visa that is good for 10 years, come into the UK and stay for 10 years. It doesn't work that way.

No I know that.. that's what I thought.. and to be honest I did post all this in the visa section.. not he medical section. don't know how this tread turned out this way.. I Believed the 10 year was similar to a passport. Valid for 10 years but obviously i would still need to come and after the 6 months stay.. I'm not that daft :)... It would just be a way to save time in reapplying for a new visa.. and in fact the company that i will pay to get my visa agreed with me.

Here in the corporate office of my company I get visa's and passports all the time for the executive's. This company we employee goes and submits the paperwork for a fee.. does all the waiting in line and all that so the executives don't have to. I spoke to them about my visa. It would cost me $100 dollars for them to process the papers after I provide them with what they need and all.. then that's it. I think it's worth it so I don't have to wait in line or for the mail.. but again the guy at this company told me that I had plenty of time to apply for the visa and to wait till I was just about ready to go.. No one seems to be making such a big deal of it all.. other then a few post here.. lol.. maybe things have gotten a bit less hectic between the UK & US laws.. who knows.. one can only hope..

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »
Sorry if I sound mean.  But when you state things as facts - like you KNOW that your child will be a UK citizen when it won't...well, I feel the need to correct you.  If correction = mean, then I apologise again.

From your own link:

And, yes, I underlined that bit to point it out.

Also   BTW - you as a US citizen are not considered a visa national, just in case you were wondering.

And Sponsors (INF3) guidance note says, again

and

This visa is NOT for someone whose intention it is to ultimately settle in the UK.

And if trying to make sure someone else doesn't suffer the embarrassment of being REFUSED ENTRY when they feel they are doing things that are *technically* legal is mean - then I  guess I'll just bow out of this thread and let you continue on your way.

Just seen too many people coming here for help, getting good, clear, concise advice which they decide they don't want to follow, and then coming back asking how to fix the mess they've gotten themselves into.

I don't know what their intentions are after her initial visit on the sponsorship visa that she got.. All I know is that she is there now.. on it.. Weather or not they allow her back. who knows.. Not me.. don't care really to be honest.. Im not going over on a sponsorship visa. Don't and never planned on it..

as for the rest of it.. Ok.. fine.. your correct.. Ok!

Anyhoo... thanks to the rest of you who provided some information on the Insurance Issue.. :)

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 04:44:38 PM »
It would just be a way to save time in reapplying for a new visa.. and in fact the company that i will pay to get my visa agreed with me.

Here in the corporate office of my company I get visa's and passports all the time for the executive's. This company we employee goes and submits the paperwork for a fee.. does all the waiting in line and all that so the executives don't have to. I spoke to them about my visa. It would cost me $100 dollars for them to process the papers after I provide them with what they need and all.. then that's it. I think it's worth it so I don't have to wait in line or for the mail.. but again the guy at this company told me that I had plenty of time to apply for the visa and to wait till I was just about ready to go.. No one seems to be making such a big deal of it all.. other then a few post here.. lol.. maybe things have gotten a bit less hectic between the UK & US laws.. who knows.. one can only hope..

You do know that you don't need to pay for a visa, right? American citizens can come over without a visa through the visa waiver program. I guess I just assumed that was what you were doing.

I was going to try to get a visa after being denied entry in December. I called to ask about it and the advice I was given was to not bother... I should just fly back over and try my luck again. They told me that there was a good chance my application would be refused simply because they wouldn't want to waste their time on someone who didn't need a visa in the first place. In May I was at the consulate in Chicago and while I was waiting for my turn I watched two people go up the window trying to get a visitors visa and being turned away by the immigration officer because they didn't need one. One guy said an immigration officer in Glasgow told him he would need to apply for a visa next time but the IO in Chicago sent him away anyway.

Anyway, doesn't mean you can't apply for one or won't get one. I just wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't necessary. Any specific reason why you want to get one?

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2005, 04:50:55 PM »
You do know that you don't need to pay for a visa, right? American citizens can come over without a visa through the visa waiver program. I guess I just assumed that was what you were doing.

I was going to try to get a visa after being denied entry in December. I called to ask about it and the advice I was given was to not bother... I should just fly back over and try my luck again. They told me that there was a good chance my application would be refused simply because they wouldn't want to waste their time on someone who didn't need a visa in the first place. In May I was at the consulate in Chicago and while I was waiting for my turn I watched two people go up the window trying to get a visitors visa and being turned away by the immigration officer because they didn't need one. One guy said an immigration officer in Glasgow told him he would need to apply for a visa next time but the IO in Chicago sent him away anyway.

Anyway, doesn't mean you can't apply for one or won't get one. I just wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't necessary. Any specific reason why you want to get one?

To be honest.. I was told that I can just travel on my Passport for the 90 days allowed. Wouldn't be turned away for entry then. However, no one ever told me that I didnt need a visa to stay longer. Is that what your saying? I'm a bit confused.

All the websites... UK sites .. Immigration sites, etc. that I've read never said I didnt need a visa if I planned on staying longer then the allowed 90 days on a passport.. and they all have fees attached to it. So no I didnt know this, what your saying. As for that company.. thats their fee to file the applications and all that so I don't have to.. IE: just another fee in addition to the visa fee...

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »
90 days or 6 months?

I get international visas for work alot... and I use an expiditor (i send them my passport and forms and money and they stand in line for me). 

for my own work visas here in the UK i've always done them in person though...

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 04:56:47 PM »
To be honest.. I was told that I can just travel on my Passport for the 90 days allowed. Wouldn't be turned away for entry then. However, no one ever told me that I didnt need a visa to stay longer. Is that what your saying? I'm a bit confused.

All the websites... UK sites .. Immigration sites, etc. that I've read never said I didnt need a visa if I planned on staying longer then the allowed 90 days on a passport.. and they all have fees attached to it. So no I didnt know this, what your saying. As for that company.. thats their fee to file the applications and all that so I don't have to.. IE: just another fee in addition to the visa fee...

I'm not sure what you mean about traveling on your passport for 90 days...  

No, you do not need to pay for a visa to stay in the UK for six months. When you step off the plane and walk up to the immigration officer they'll ask you everything they need to know about your visit. What you're doing in the UK, how long are you staying, how will you support yourself, where are you staying, etc. If they are satisfied with your answers, they will give you a stamp that says you are allowed to stay for 6 months. In certain situations, they may give you a different stamp for fewer than 6 months (I got one for one month on my second try) but the majority of people coming over will get stamped for 6 months.

My guess is the agency you've been talking to realizes that you didn't know this and hasn't offered the information because they want your business.

Sponsored Links