Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visitor's Insurance  (Read 2439 times)

Re: Visitor's Insurance
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2005, 05:14:24 PM »
90 days or 6 months?

I get international visas for work alot... and I use an expiditor (i send them my passport and forms and money and they stand in line for me). 

for my own work visas here in the UK i've always done them in person though...

I currently have a US Passport which allows me entry into another country for no more then 3 months (90days) and I could just go back and forth on that as I have been for the last three years but it does get expensive with the airfare and all that..

and this expiditor that you speak of is what I was referring to. Just didn't know what they were called. They are a group within the Travel Agency I use for the Executives here at work who will do just what you've explained. As for me, Ive not gone down myself yet as I was told it was too early seeing how I don't plan on traveling there for the extended time until March 06.

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean about traveling on your passport for 90 days...  

No, you do not need to pay for a visa to stay in the UK for six months. When you step off the plane and walk up to the immigration officer they'll ask you everything they need to know about your visit. What you're doing in the UK, how long are you staying, how will you support yourself, where are you staying, etc. If they are satisfied with your answers, they will give you a stamp that says you are allowed to stay for 6 months. In certain situations, they may give you a different stamp for fewer than 6 months (I got one for one month on my second try) but the majority of people coming over will get stamped for 6 months.

My guess is the agency you've been talking to realizes that you didn't know this and hasn't offered the information because they want your business.

The 90 days is what I was saying that I am allowed to travel to another country under my US Passport. My passport is vaild for 10 years not needed to update it, however I have been told that If I apply for a Visa I would need to surrender my Passport because the visa would take its place.

When I fly out of New York now to Scotland, I canni get on the plane without showing my Passport, so how would I travel without any documentation? ie: a visa or passport? When I then get to Scotland, the immigration officer does ask me questions about my visit. where I will be staying.. why I'm there etc.. but I don't think I'd even get allowed on the plane without anything. Is that what your saying?

And the agency, as I've said in my last post, is just a party within a travel agency who will take all my documents and get my visa for me so I dont have to wait in line just like meggles says she does for work reasons.

I think I'm becomming more confused now.. lol.. then I was prior to coming here :D..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 05:20:47 PM by Pabby »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 05:29:01 PM »
The 90 days is what I was saying that I am allowed to travel to another country under my US Passport. My passport is vaild for 10 years not needed to update it, however I have been told that If I apply for a Visa I would need to surrender my Passport because the visa would take its place.

When I fly out of New York now to Scotland, I canni get on the plane without showing my Passport, so how would I travel without any documentation? ie: a visa or passport? When I then get to Scotland, the immigration officer does ask me questions about my visit. where I will be staying.. why I'm there etc.. but I don't think I'd even get allowed on the plane without anything. Is that what your saying?

And the agency, as I've said in my last post, is just a party within a travel agency who will take all my documents and get my visa for me so I dont have to wait in line just like meggles says she does for work reasons.

I think I'm becomming more confused now.. lol.. then I was prior to coming here :D..

I didn't mean you can travel without documentation. You definitely need a passport to travel to the UK, and like you said, have to show it when you check in and have to show it before you get on the plane. You do not need to pay for a visitor visa to travel to the UK though. You can travel to the UK and stay for up to 6 months on your passport without purchasing a visa.

So, here's what I understand... so far you've been traveling to the UK on just your passport. I assme that when you go through immigration they stamp your passport. What do your stamps say?

Where are you getting the information that you're only allowed to stay for 90 days on your passport?

I'm getting confused... if you could answer those two questions for me it'd help me figure this out. lol

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2005, 05:38:35 PM »

The visa is essentially a sticker placed IN your passport, not something you travel with IN LIEU OF your passport.  You submit your passport with your visa application so that the visa can be placed in your passport.

I've read through some of your posts, and I think I'm a bit confused as to your intent.  If you are intending to enter the UK as a visitor, you will likely not need a visa.  The US is not a visa national country.  If you are concerned that for some reason you may be turned back at immigration rather than allowed into the country, you can certainly apply for a visitor's visa, but your intent must still be to enter the country as a visitor.  That means entering for a set amount of time (less than 6 months) and then leaving again.  They will be looking for things like a return ticket, proof that you can support yourself w/out taking a job or any public funds, etc.  If you are afraid that you might have trouble w/the financial aspect of the visa, you can get a sponsor.  Sounds like this is what your friend did...however, it is still a visitor's visa.  

If you are intending to settle in the UK, a visitor's visa is not appropriate, and indeed you may still be turned back at immigration even with a valid visitor's visa if the entry control officer thinks your intent is to settle.  (It's not likely, but it can happen.)  If they believe you are entering the county other than as a visitor, they may search your luggage looking for proof of your true intentions.  This can include diaries, correspondence, CV's, etc.

I don't think anyone here is trying to be mean to you, just help you to understand the ins and outs of UK immigration.  It is quite complex and can be confusing.  They are very strict and there can be many hoops to jump through before you can settle in the UK.  Even as a British citizen, I still have to obtain settlement visas for my children before they can live w/me in the UK.

Good luck!  Hope you get things figured out and that it all works out for you in the end.
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2005, 05:38:58 PM »
I have been told that If I apply for a Visa I would need to surrender my Passport because the visa would take its place.

I forgot to comment on this. You absolutely do not surrender your passport when you get a visa. The visa goes inside your passport. You can't travel on a visa without a passport...they go together.

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2005, 05:39:02 PM »
I didn't mean you can travel without documentation. You definitely need a passport to travel to the UK, and like you said, have to show it when you check in and have to show it before you get on the plane. You do not need to pay for a visitor visa to travel to the UK though. You can travel to the UK and stay for up to 6 months on your passport without purchasing a visa.

So, here's what I understand... so far you've been traveling to the UK on just your passport. I assme that when you go through immigration they stamp your passport. What do your stamps say?

Where are you getting the information that you're only allowed to stay for 90 days on your passport?

I'm getting confused... if you could answer those two questions for me it'd help me figure this out. lol

The stamp giving upon entry is the date of entry.. and the expected exit date out of the contry which is 90 days. Even when my boyfriend travels to NY its the same thing. However in saying that, passing thru immigration, they do ask me when my return flight is, so they know its within the allowed time on a passport.

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2005, 05:40:21 PM »
I forgot to comment on this. You absolutely do not surrender your passport when you get a visa. The visa goes inside your passport. You can't travel on a visa without a passport...they go together.

Alright.. I wondered about that when the guy told me that I had to give him my passport to apply for my visa. I assumed he meant surrend it. I didnt like that.. and I'm happy to hear that I was wrong with that one..

• Does my bum look big in this?
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2005, 05:42:01 PM »
The stamp giving upon entry is the date of entry.. and the expected exit date out of the contry which is 90 days. Even when my boyfriend travels to NY its the same thing. However in saying that, passing thru immigration, they do ask me when my return flight is, so they know its within the allowed time on a passport.

UK nationals are allowed to visit the US w/out a visa for 90 days through the visa waiver program.  I think that's where you're getting the 90 days from.  US nationals can visit the UK for up to 6 months.  I've heard that may be changing, though...
When I am grown-up I will understand how BEAUTIFUL it feels to administrate my life effectively.

Until then I will continue to TORCH all correspondence that bores me and to dance NAKED over the remnants of its still glowing embers.

~The Interesting Thoughts of Edward Monkton

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2005, 05:45:44 PM »
The visa is essentially a sticker placed IN your passport, not something you travel with IN LIEU OF your passport.  You submit your passport with your visa application so that the visa can be placed in your passport.

I've read through some of your posts, and I think I'm a bit confused as to your intent.  If you are intending to enter the UK as a visitor, you will likely not need a visa.  The US is not a visa national country.  If you are concerned that for some reason you may be turned back at immigration rather than allowed into the country, you can certainly apply for a visitor's visa, but your intent must still be to enter the country as a visitor.  That means entering for a set amount of time (less than 6 months) and then leaving again.  They will be looking for things like a return ticket, proof that you can support yourself w/out taking a job or any public funds, etc.  If you are afraid that you might have trouble w/the financial aspect of the visa, you can get a sponsor.  Sounds like this is what your friend did...however, it is still a visitor's visa.  

If you are intending to settle in the UK, a visitor's visa is not appropriate, and indeed you may still be turned back at immigration even with a valid visitor's visa if the entry control officer thinks your intent is to settle.  (It's not likely, but it can happen.)  If they believe you are entering the county other than as a visitor, they may search your luggage looking for proof of your true intentions.  This can include diaries, correspondence, CV's, etc.

I don't think anyone here is trying to be mean to you, just help you to understand the ins and outs of UK immigration.  It is quite complex and can be confusing.  They are very strict and there can be many hoops to jump through before you can settle in the UK.  Even as a British citizen, I still have to obtain settlement visas for my children before they can live w/me in the UK.

Good luck!  Hope you get things figured out and that it all works out for you in the end.

Thanks for your reply..

What I wanted to try to accomplish was to go to the UK, but for longer then the allowed time on my passort which is only 90 days. So I figured a visitors visa would come in good here allowing me up to 6 months to stay, then come back home. I figured that 6 months would allow us to know weather or not we want to make my move permant. Didn't just want to rush into anything.

So basically what I wanted to accomplish first was a good stay for just about 6 months and take it from there. At that time I figured we'd figure out what to do next... Hope that is a bit clearer. I know its complicated. Perhaps applying for a different visa first off would be better then just a visit visa.. I don't know.. but In any respect, I'm at least gald to hear that I was wrong about surrendering my passport. I had no idea, what a visa was looking like. I thought it was a book just like my passport..  :-[

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2005, 05:46:17 PM »

Oh yeah, thanks for mentioning that bit! I had my luggage searched when I was denied entry and I had it searched the next time I came over. They really do go through everything! And, they make photocopies! I had nothing embarrassing or really all that personal, but it still feels like such an invasion of privacy when someone is photocopying your address book and pieces of mail.

closet_hippie is right... if you are intending on settling in the UK then a visitors visa is not right for you. But, I do understand what you are trying to do. There's just a good chance that it isn't going to work. I noticed in another thread that you were bringing your cat over with you. When you're entering the country as a visitor, bringing a pet with you is probably going to raise a lot of flags! Also, they're going to be looking for proof from you to show that you are planning on returning to the US at the end of your visit. Not having a job to return to is going to make it extra difficult. If they see that you're coming over here for 6 months, staying with your boyfriend, bringing your cat, and don't have a job to return to at home... I don't think they're likely to grant you entry.

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2005, 05:51:20 PM »
On your insurance question.  Last time DH and I were visiting the UK I got the flu and developed a chest infection.  DH was able to get me an appointment at the local surgery where we were vacationing.  To have the doctor verify that yes I had a chest infection and write me a perscription was 30 pounds.  My antibiotics were 2 pound 50 ( Which I think was less than I would pay with NHS coverage (generic penicillin)).  They also gave me a full packet of paperwork to file with my insurance at home. 

I would definitely get some travel insurance for emergencies, but having to pay the equivalent of $70 to see a doctor and $5 for a perscription is alot less than you pay in the US.  Unless you have recurring health problems, you should be okay with travel insurance.
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2005, 05:52:38 PM »
Oh yeah, thanks for mentioning that bit! I had my luggage searched when I was denied entry and I had it searched the next time I came over. They really do go through everything! And, they make photocopies! I had nothing embarrassing or really all that personal, but it still feels like such an invasion of privacy when someone is photocopying your address book and pieces of mail.

closet_hippie is right... if you are intending on settling in the UK then a visitors visa is not right for you. But, I do understand what you are trying to do. There's just a good chance that it isn't going to work. I noticed in another thread that you were bringing your cat over with you. When you're entering the country as a visitor, bringing a pet with you is probably going to raise a lot of flags! Also, they're going to be looking for proof from you to show that you are planning on returning to the US at the end of your visit. Not having a job to return to is going to make it extra difficult. If they see that you're coming over here for 6 months, staying with your boyfriend, bringing your cat, and don't have a job to return to at home... I don't think they're likely to grant you entry.

Oh goodness.. another loop hole. So whats up with all the stuff I've done with preparing my cat for travel? I've followed all the guidelines for her entry thru the PETS Travel guides.. I thought that it was just understood that people travel with their pets and all that.. and of course she would come back with me after our visit. Thats going to be an issue now you think?

And yeah well.. I can't go to Scotland for any lenght of time, and still have a job to come home to. I'm not self employed so I would have to quit to make a long trip over. What else could I do.

This friend of mine that went over on this sponsorship letter and all.. she has no job in the US.. not bank account to back her up... which is why they choose this sponsorship thing, and she is over there. So they allowed her in? How do you guys think that differs?

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2005, 05:56:53 PM »
Oh goodness.. another loop hole. So whats up with all the stuff I've done with preparing my cat for travel? I've followed all the guidelines for her entry thru the PETS Travel guides.. I thought that it was just understood that people travel with their pets and all that.. and of course she would come back with me after our visit. Thats going to be an issue now you think?

And yeah well.. I can't go to Scotland for any lenght of time, and still have a job to come home to. I'm not self employed so I would have to quit to make a long trip over. What else could I do.

This friend of mine that went over on this sponsorship letter and all.. she has no job in the US.. not bank account to back her up... which is why they choose this sponsorship thing, and she is over there. So they allowed her in? How do you guys think that differs?

All I'm saying is when you put all that stuff together the immigration officer is going to be suspicious of your visit. It's not just the cat. It's everything put together.

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2005, 05:58:59 PM »
On your insurance question.  Last time DH and I were visiting the UK I got the flu and developed a chest infection.  DH was able to get me an appointment at the local surgery where we were vacationing.  To have the doctor verify that yes I had a chest infection and write me a perscription was 30 pounds.  My antibiotics were 2 pound 50 ( Which I think was less than I would pay with NHS coverage (generic penicillin)).  They also gave me a full packet of paperwork to file with my insurance at home. 

I would definitely get some travel insurance for emergencies, but having to pay the equivalent of $70 to see a doctor and $5 for a perscription is alot less than you pay in the US.  Unless you have recurring health problems, you should be okay with travel insurance.

Thanks beccaboo for your reply.. and No, no recurring health problems. Just want to be prepared if I was to fall ill with an infection or anything to that case that I would need to see a doctor.

I guess I'm jumping way ahead of myself here.. I'm beginning to feel quite helpless here with all this.

Sponsored Links