Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello from another Iowan  (Read 2781 times)

• Liked: 1
Hello from another Iowan
« on: May 01, 2002, 04:45:06 PM »
Just thought I would introduce myself.  My name is Donel and I am origionally from the great state of Iowa  ::)  I've been in the UK on and off now for almost 2 years.  First as a student and now as a permainant resident.  I met my Scottish husband the last week I was over here studying.  (Isn't that always the way it goes?) ???   We kept in touch, one thing led to another and we were just married last month.    

I really enjoy the UK, even though my University degree is completly usless.  Hopefully, in a year or two I'll be able to get a teaching cirtificate and be a contributing member of society again  ;) But in the mean time we need to settle somewhere permanent

I really enjoy the site and used it often as a reference tool when I was dealing with the ins and outs of the INS and the home office.  

P.S. Not to come off as uneducated, but please forgive the spelling mistakes.  I was off school the day they taught it. :D
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Hello from another Iowan
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 05:26:48 PM »
Welcome welcome welcome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 05:28:21 PM »
Hello Donel - WELCOME!!  Glad to see you found this amazing and wonderful site.  It has helped me a lot.  I haven't met anyone personally yet, but just chatting with the fellow Americans via the net has been giving me quite the calming effect (well for me anyway).  

If you become a regular, you'll come to get a good laugh everyday especially if you join the rest of the eclectic family Tuesday nights for a chat session (8 pm GMT).  Where topics are pretty much an open field.

Oh and any questions you have bring them on.  You'll be sure to get about 6 different opinions.  Everyone is more than happy to help out eachother.

Cheers.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

• Michigan~~~~Tex as~~~~Bradford West Yorkshire
    • CampThornBouchStein
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 06:57:00 PM »
Hello and welcome!!!  Are you living in Glasgow at the moment?  I have some friends in Edinbourgh, lovely city... if you have not been yet then go, it's my favourite city in the UK  :).

Steph

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2002, 07:50:25 PM »
Welcome, Donel!  I've nevr been to Glasgow, but I have been to Edinburgh and Stirling.  Love Scotland.  Hope to see you on the boards and in chat.  We're a very friendly bunch.

• NYState_of_Mind

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 07:50:45 PM »
 I have some friends in Edinbourgh, lovely city...

Hiya, actually I am in London (East) near Canary Wharf.  I was in Edinbourgh last year and yes, it is a lovely city.  I was only there for a day and will have to make another trip in the future.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg

• Liked: 24
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2002, 11:44:36 AM »
Hi Donel, welcome to the site.  :)

May I ask what part of Iowa you're from? I am originally from the Quad Cities region, just a hop, skip and jump north of Davenport.

Congrats on your newlywed status. I hope you're very happy together.  :)

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2002, 01:39:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

I come from a town that I can pretty much guarentee you've never heard of.  It is called Troy Mills and the entire population is about 200 (it's not even incorporated).  It is about 15 miles north of Cedar Rapids as the crow flies.

As to all the comments about Edinburgh, WELL!   :o  Just kidding.  Having lived in Glasgow for some time now, I've pretty much been brainwashed.  You have to understand that there is a great rivelery between them, and my husband claims he'd rather move almost anwhere but there!!!   ::)  As an outsider who has only been recently introduced into this, I can honestly say that Edinburgh is great if  you want to visit, buy a jimmy hat and see a castle, but if you were going to live for any great amount of time you'd want to come to Glasgow.  Much better night life and way better shopping!   ;D

'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2002, 01:14:03 AM »
That's quite interesting. When a friend and I back-packed around England in our teens, we spent time in both Glasgow and Edin.
We loved Edinburgh and hated Glasgow. Glasgow seemed so industrial to us. Then again we were 17. What the hell would we know. I really want to go back to Scotland as so much of my fmaily line starts there.

Interesting how "Jimmy hat" can mean such different things in different areas  :-[

• Kweel!!!!!!
Re: Hello from Nebraska
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2002, 11:08:46 PM »
Hello to all from Iowa. I am from Omaha,Nebraska a skip and jump away from Des Moines. I was in Des Moines two weeks ago and it felt good to be home. I had all most forgot how much I missed it.  :o ::)  
I have lived here in the UK for 3 years.  Married a Brit.  I enjoy living over for the most part. Get homesick when I think of the holidays like tomorrow Memorial Day. Hope to hear from any of you. Bye.

• NYState_of_Mind

Re: Hello from Nebraska
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2002, 11:16:17 PM »
Get homesick when I think of the holidays like tomorrow Memorial Day. Hope to hear from any of you. Bye.

Well you're not the only one Ritzy.  I myself am probably always homesick (most of the time) and I do miss the holidays like the one tomorrow.  I am planning to hang up my flag tomorrow on the patio and will probably take part in a bar-b-que via the phone.  All my friends/family are either going to the beach, the hamptons, or the bar-b-que thing out back.

Welcome and enjoy the posts.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2002, 12:52:09 AM »
welcome to the board!!  Holidays can set me off as well, espically Thanksgiving as that is the one I most associate with family, but I figure I wouldn't be living in Iowa even if I was still in the states, so Scotland really isn't that much further.   ;)

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2002, 01:16:22 AM »
Hiya Ritz!  Welcome to UK-Yankee.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2002, 03:30:03 AM »
Hiya Ritzy welcome aboard....make yourself at home.  We can always use another opinion.  Don't forget our chats on Tuesday evenings.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab