Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Something I don't understand - Student/fiancee/marriage visa question.  (Read 730 times)

• Liked: 0
Well, I think I do, I'm just not 100% on it.

Am I correct in thinking I can't get married in the UK while I'm there on a student visa (or just a passport, for that matter)?  My BF and I were discussing it, but it seems as if I"d have to come back to the US to get a fiancee visa to do it.  So the only way to go straight to a marraige visa (as opposed to going the financee-to-marriage visa route) is to get married in the US.  Is that right?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 06:17:45 PM by Cassandra »

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Something I don't understand - Student/fiancee/marriage visa question.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 07:33:03 PM »
I could have got married on my student visa. I did phone the Home Office and was told it was OK. However, as I had been living with my fiance for the correct amount of time to apply for FLR, we did that beforethe wedding so we could avoid having to go to London to get the married visa (this is b/c my student visa expired 8 days after the wedding).

I'm not aware that the rules have changed since I last asked about it but I could be wrong. You're best off phoning to find out!  :)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 02:23:32 AM »
You can get married in England while on a student visa.  You have to get a COA- Certificate of Approval- from the Home Office. Your visa has to have at least 3 months left on it when you apply for the COA, and once it's granted you can register and get married in the UK, then get FLR (good for 2 years.)  You'd have to make sure you allow enough time on your visa past the three months to get the COA approved (not sure how long it takes), get married, and get your FLR approved so it doesn't expire in the midst of the process.  You can get a COA only if you're on a visa that is good for more than six months, student or otherwise- you wouldn't be able to do this as a visitor or any other visa that's valid less than six months.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 07:14:38 PM »
Oh!  That makes sense.  Thanks ladies.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab