Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Alternatives to marriage certificates  (Read 544 times)

• Liked: 0
Alternatives to marriage certificates
« on: October 27, 2005, 03:44:44 AM »
I've read here about people who went to NYC right after the wedding to get their visa and I'm wondering who this works.  You don't get a marriage certificate right after the wedding, all you have is marriage licesence which the officiant keeps anyway to turn into the records office.  You don't get an actual certificate until about a month later.  So, what exactly do those people bring to the embassy in lieu of a certificate?  We were thinking of going to the UK for a month or two, change my name from there and then come back to the US for a week or so to get the visa but if we can get it right after the wedding then we wouldn't have to come back

June

Re: Alternatives to marriage certificates
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 04:49:55 AM »
You don't get a marriage certificate right after the wedding, all you have is marriage licesence which the officiant keeps anyway to turn into the records office. 
June

Actually, that's not true in call cases.  It depends on the county I believe?  In Michigan, where I live, I called the county clerk for some information.  She said that they give you two official copies before the wedding that just need signatures.  After the wedding, both are signed and then the officiant keeps one.  We get to take the other.  I was skeptical but she assured me that there is a gold, raised seal on them.  She said the only thing that changes is that they assign it a "file number" when the certificate arrives at their office.  Other than that, we will have a official marriage certificate directly after the ceremony.  I think every place is a bit different.  Maybe it depends on how busy the office is.  Where I live, there is not much action, so I imagine they can take the time to make up certificates before the wedding.  To be sure I would call and check.  Hope this helps!  :)

• Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:44:01 AM »
Luxie's right -- just depends on where you get married.  DH and I were married on a Saturday and made it clear to the pastor that he HAD to take the signed license to the registrar of deeds the following Monday.  The certificate was ready Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning -- can't remember which now!   ;)

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 08:54:57 AM »
In Tennessee, we walked away with our signed marriage certificate in hand after the ceremony.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 09:06:28 AM »
So, what exactly do those people bring to the embassy in lieu of a certificate?

The only acceptable thing is an actual certificate - there is nothing else that can be brought.

Even if the norm is different where you're going to get married, sometimes it can be expedited if you explain the uniqueness of your situation.

I got married in the UK, so it wasn't an issue.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 01:39:13 PM »
Like everyone else said, you must have the marriage certificate. My husband and I had to do things very quickly so we got married at a courthouse. We called around to three different counties to find one that would give us the certificate the same day. After the judge married us, we walked down to the office and had our certificate in about 5 minutes.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 01:48:02 PM »
We were thinking of going to the UK for a month or two, change my name from there

Just caught this bit -- you can't process any sort of name change over here until you have your marriage certificate anyway.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 02:54:33 PM »
We were thinking of going to the UK for a month or two, change my name from there and then come back to the US for a week or so to get the visa but if we can get it right after the wedding then we wouldn't have to come back

June

Also, be careful with this. Someone else might be able to give you some advice on it but it's my understanding that you may have some trouble going through immigration if you are married and don't have your visa yet. If they know that you are settling here they may send you away telling you that you need the visa first. Immigration officers are obviously not very trusting people and if they suspect you may be coming to settle without getting your visa first then they won't let you in. When I was detained in Heathrow I met two women there who were being sent back home because they were coming to "visit" their husbands and immigration said they needed visas.

Can someone comment on this?

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 02:58:12 PM »
Also, be careful with this. Someone else might be able to give you some advice on it but it's my understanding that you may have some trouble going through immigration if you are married and don't have your visa yet. If they know that you are settling here they may send you away telling you that you need the visa first. Immigration officers are obviously not very trusting people and if they suspect you may be coming to settle without getting your visa first then they won't let you in. When I was detained in Heathrow I met two women there who were being sent back home because they were coming to "visit" their husbands and immigration said they needed visas.

Can someone comment on this?

Not from personal experience, but I do agree that it will probably send up red flags to Immigration Officers.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab