Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Christmas Pudding?  (Read 2599 times)

• Liked: 1
Christmas Pudding?
« on: October 20, 2003, 05:11:15 AM »
Okay...I know technically I am supposed to start to make a Christmas pudding 6 months ahead of time.   :P

I just can't figure out if it is really worth it to make one from scratch or to just to buy one.  Then if you buy one which one is a good one?  Has anyone had any experience with this strange UK custom?
;D
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• and you are?
    • biggest APPLE
  • Liked: 0
Re: Christmas Pudding?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 07:08:52 AM »
Yes, I do. It tastes like crap no matter what road you go down. Make it yourself - it will taste like crap. Buy a really good one and it too will taste like crap. Mmmmm, christmas crap!  :P with bells on!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 09:39:28 AM »
I had Christmas pudding for the first time last Christmas.  It was a puchased one.  I liked it.  I want it again this year. :D

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 10:30:48 AM »
Just buy one Vnice...Tesco luxury one is nice, and Marks and Sparks has a few nice ones in their range as well.  The nice thing about Christmas puds is they sell little ones...so you can try them out before Christmas if you want to.  :)  

I love them...but they are definitely an aquired taste.  Thre's nothing better now than a bit of hot pudding with brandy butter or thick cream...mmmm...mmm!  

I didn't like mince pies the first time I tried them either, believe it or not!  

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 11:04:20 AM »
It tastes like crap no matter what road you go down.

Agreed.  So instead of English Christmas pudding, we have an Italian one.  I can't remember the name of it, but it starts Pan... and is always near the Christmas puddings in my local Tesco.

Later Edit

It's called Panettone and I saw them in Tesco this evening.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 02:00:08 AM by Caitlinn »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 02:03:21 PM »
My mother in law made Christmas puddings last year. I really liked making it (and we only did it a month in advance) becaue I liked eating it raw like cookie dough - once the booze goes in and once it turns black and gooey - it ain't for me anymore! So I liked making it, plus I had fun with her because she was telling me all about thet raditions of it, how her mother used to make it, blah blah blah...
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 02:03:39 PM »
Xmas puds are best made 6-8 weeks before Christmas. Same with Christmas cake. I always make the cake and buy the pudding. In fact, I have yet to try a homemade pudding, although i'd like to someday.  It's just the hours of steaming that puts me off. That and the recipe calls for barley wine, which I haven't a clue as to how to find.....

We always buy a couple of different puddings for optimum taste value! ;)
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2003, 04:23:24 PM »
Yes, I do. It tastes like crap no matter what road you go down. Make it yourself - it will taste like crap. Buy a really good one and it too will taste like crap. Mmmmm, christmas crap!  :P with bells on!

I've had people say we can use them as door stops as well..... ;D  Kind of like the fruit cake issue...

We have tried a few you can order online and Dean and Deluca has one....I want to make one but it is the steaming that gets me....

I wonder if you could do one in a pressure cooker?  Any ideas?  Any recipes in general?
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 04:31:02 PM »
One word - MICROWAVE! Most of the ones you buy are made in the microwave in about 10 minutes, plus resting time.  No problem at all!

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2003, 04:36:58 PM »
LOL!  That's the truth....

I die every time I read the back of a can of treacle pudding and it says microwave for 1:30 minutes OR Steam for 35 minutes!

Though once I made a Jam Roly Poly in the microwave and it came out great..until it cooled off and I had jam crunchy mess. ;D

Okay ladies don't fail me now...I have mixed peel and candied fruit and alcohol in hand....I even have veggie suet!

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2003, 06:50:22 PM »
Hey, i'm tempted to join you there. My Delia Smith Xmas cookbook raves about homemade xmas puddings and says they're so different than the storebought ones.....
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2003, 07:35:09 PM »
Hopster, is that the same book you got the hot cross buns recipe from?  If so lets do it! Would you want to post the recipe?  I can always buy one if mine fails, but I have a feeling it will come out great.  

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2003, 07:39:27 PM »
Take it from a Brit it doesn't matter where you get it or who makes it, Xmas pudding just isn't up there with the great desserts of all time. Stick with the mince pies!! But if you do make one don't forget to put your lucky sixpences in. Or if you can't find any sixpences I believe 5p pieces are what people use nowadays.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2003, 07:43:06 PM »
;D I'd agree with you but my husband and actually my father love both Christmas pudding and mince pies.... mom and I stick to the sweet potato pie!  

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2003, 08:01:38 PM »
I'm happy to post Delia! Yes, I use her hot cross bun recipe - just made some last week for my visiting Dad! Other half sniffily said I was out of season but they loved them...

I love xmas pudding so i'm willing to give it a go.

4 oz shredded suet
2 ox self raising flour, sifted
4 oz white breadcrumbs
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cinnamon
8 oz dark b sugar
4 oz sultanas
4 oz raisins
10 oz currants
1 oz candied peel, chopped
1 oz almonds, chopped
1 small cooking apple, peeled, diced
zest of 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon
2 large eggs
2.5 oz barley wine  ???
2.5 oz stout  ???
2 tbl rum

2 pint pudding basin, greased

BEGIN the day before. Take large mixing bowl and put suet, flour, breadcrumbs, spices and sugar. Mix thoroughly then mix in dried fruit, peel and nuts, followed by apple and zests.

In small bowl mix booze, then add eggs and beat thoroughly. Pour over all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Invite children to stir and make wish. Consistency will be sloppy. Cover and leave overnight. EASY EH?

Next day, put into greased basin and cover with dbl sheet of greaseproof paper and a sheet of foil and tie tightly with string. Use husband's finger here for tying. Place pudding in steamer set over a saucepan of simmering water and steam for 8 HOURS. Keep eye on water from drying up. Take off and let get quite cold. Remove papers and replace with fresh ones and fresh string. Now it's ready for Xmas day. Keep in cool place away from light.

If you can't find barley wine, use extra stout, says Delia.

Steam on Xmas Day for 2 hours and 15 mins... Invert onto plate, place warm brandy on it and set that puppy alight! Pour gently over top, present to family, ooh and ahh, chow down. ;)

« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 08:03:07 PM by Hopster »

Sponsored Links