Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a US passport FAST?  (Read 660 times)

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
  • Liked: 0
Getting a US passport FAST?
« on: October 22, 2003, 01:54:03 AM »
I'd appreciate any advice on this!

I still have not applied for my 6 months old daughter's US passport.  I have been getting together paperwork and things were held up as I wait for a certified marriage certificate from Texas to arrive over here.  I didn't think there was any hurry as we hadn't planned to travel out of UK this winter.

Suddenly my Father-in-law has offered to fly us all home for Christmas!

I went online today to make an Appt at the embassy to apply for passport- the earliest available appt is December 17th!!!

So I am thinking I will need to just go down to the embassy early one morning and wait all day to be seen- but even then I worry that they will not consider this an emergency- as it technically isnt.  On the website they warn not to go there without an appt- that you could be turned away!

But its not fair- my daughter IS a US citizen and why should we have to wait 2 months to apply for a passport for her!

I am going to email the embassy again- but I fear they will simply state that I have to wait for available appt. blah blah blah...

any advice?
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Getting a US passport FAST?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 12:32:38 PM »
Well, I e-mailed them about my situation and just got referred to the website - which DIDN'T tell me what I apparently NEEDED to know...(different thread - sorry!).

Anyway - they will turn you away without an appointment for that sort of thing.  Go ahead and e-mail them and then scope out the website for their interpretation of an *emergency.*  See if you can be put on some sort of 'waiting list' in case someone cancels their apppointment.  Can't hurt?

I wish you luck.  Gotta love bureaucracy  ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 03:46:59 PM »
thanks Peedal- yes red tape can get messy at times! However this seems pretty straightforward after speaking to someone.

I called embassy and got thru on the "emergency line" and the man on the phone seemed annoyed that I had used that line for a non emergency but he did answer my question!

And his answer was interesting indeed!

I was honest and up front- I told him there was no emergency- just that we wanted to travel to US for Christmas and couldnt wait until December 17th(next available online appt time) to apply for daughter's passport.

He said that I needed to go ahead and buy the plane tickets- then phone back on the emergency line and say I've got tickets "in hand" and then will they make me an emergency appointment- and he said they could then rush it through and we'd have her passprt in time for our travel plans.

he was adamant about NOT turning up at the embassy without an appt- he just kept saying that was not the thing to do.

much luck to you Peedal- I've read thru that thread of yours- and its a head ache just to read- so I cant imagine dealing with it!!
Poo? .... Poo!!
Yes, Piglet?
Nothing.  I just wanted to be sure of you.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 04:11:21 PM »
That's great news!   ;D  Sometimes - just sometimes - good things happen to good people!   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'm off to get mine taken care of on Monday... ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab