Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLu Jabs  (Read 3018 times)

• Liked: 1
FLu Jabs
« on: November 02, 2005, 09:23:19 AM »
anyone getting one?  Do you think they really help?

I've been sick so many times this year i'm getting fed up.  My company is offering free ones so i'm not sure if i should turn them down......

i'm a bit nervous, i've not had a shot in AGES!  :-X

Re: FLu Jabs
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 09:27:29 AM »
I never had one but they advise the elderly and people with health problems should get one. My FIL gets one every year and suffers from flu-like symptoms as side effects.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:29:41 AM »
We had one last month.  Went to a private clinic and purchased them for £15/each.  Well worth it to me.

I've been having it for 8 years, ever since I caught influenza as a healthy, very fit 25-year-old and wound up in hospital w/pneumonia in both my lungs - for Christmas!  >:(

I've never had any side effects and if I had, I'd still keep taking it, b/c side effects have nuthin' on real flu.  Makes you sick as all hell.

I

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:30:52 AM »
i have asthma, and i know it's recommended for folks like me

but the last thing i want is to have flu-ish symptoms from it

ugh

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 09:34:05 AM »
i have asthma, and i know it's recommended for folks like me

but the last thing i want is to have flu-ish symptoms from it

ugh
Just get it, goofy!! Flu-like symptoms are better than the real flu if it strikes you. Espcially if your an asthma sufferer!! Go get it now!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 09:34:58 AM »
all riiiiiiiiight.  i'll get it tomorrow.  they are here then!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
I got it on Monday from my company's health centre.  It works, I don't get the flu.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 10:24:18 AM »
Here's an interesting question. If you get the jab does this mean you are less likely to get the flu and if you do are your symptoms more mild than if you didnt get the jab? Also, if you get the jab can you still carry the bug without having symptoms? In other words if I got the jab could I still pass the flu on to my kids whom didnt have the jab? Does this even make sense?

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 10:27:27 AM »
Here's an interesting question. If you get the jab does this mean you are less likely to get the flu and if you do are your symptoms more mild than if you didnt get the jab?

Yes and yes.

Also, if you get the jab can you still carry the bug without having symptoms? In other words if I got the jab could I still pass the flu on to my kids whom didnt have the jab? Does this even make sense?

No.  The vaccine is made from inactive virus.  It's dead.  So you can't pass it on or get the flu from it.  What is possible is that you could contract the virus from a carrier BEFORE the vaccine has a chance to establish immunity in you - it takes about a fortnight after hte jab.  And you can of course also catch any cold or other virus going about.  Hence, some people say, 'Well I got the jab but it gave me the flu.'  No chance.  They either had the flu already - it has a long incubation period - or they caught it before the jab had a chance to work.  Or they caught a nasty cold from someone.

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 10:29:28 AM »
Thanks Expat. I may get one. I'm not really prone to flu but it may be worth it to get one.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 11:06:30 AM »
I'm not really prone to flu but it may be worth it to get one.

I'm not normally, either.  But I do work w/students and use public transport, so I go for it every year, b/c it is really nasty stuff when you get a geniune case of it.

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 11:54:57 AM »
I got mine! :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 12:02:19 PM »
We used to get them free at work in NY.  Where can we go for it?  Also, I never felt ill after Amy, you should be fine. 

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 12:14:56 PM »
Leigh, beat me to it. Was about to post the same info about the flu shot when I saw your post.

I get the flu shot everyyear. Two years ago I didn't get it because of a vaccine shortage. That Thanksgiving I had a house hull of guests. My 15 year old niece came for dinner, not telling anyone she was sick until we all caught the flu from her...all, except for the three people at the table who had had flu shots! (Was so ill I thought I'd die!) So, I always get the shot, if available. The Pres promises that everyone in the US will get a shot this year, if they want one. We'll see...
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 01:28:51 PM »
I've seen in the commercials that they're recommended for the elderly and those with health problems.  Here in the UK, are they also recommended for pregnant women and children?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab