Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FLu Jabs  (Read 3017 times)

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
Re: FLu Jabs
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 02:02:22 PM »
I got mine yesterday..............didn't hurt a bit!

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 02:10:35 PM »
Here in the UK, are they also recommended for pregnant women and children?

No.  Although in the US, they are in the normal immunisation schedule for children under 6, even if healthy, as studies have shown that children under 6 develop complications requiring hospitalisation as much as elderly.  I think it's to save the NHS money, which is why they also don't include the pneumoccocal meningitis jab for kids here, despite this disease killing 56 children/year in the UK, the same as HiB. 

Pregnant women - several studies have shown influenza can cause preterm labour and/or has been associated w/later development of schizophrenia, as the virus is able to cross the placenta.

I have our child innoculated every year.

I had the jab privately last month and I'm 3rd trimester pregnant.  Flu would be far from just an inconvenience during labour, delivery or breastfeeding/caring for a newborn and toddler. 

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 02:44:01 PM »
I've only had a flu shot once, and I spent that entire winter sick (and I don't usually get sick).  Granted, I never got the flu per se, but I had a cold on and off for about three months.  I swore I'd never get another one again, until...  now.  My two-year-old is allergic to eggs, so he can't have a flu shot.  Now both my husband and I are getting one to (hopefully) lessen his chances of getting sick.  The sacrifices we make as parents!  ;)

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 06:54:04 PM »

After reading this thread this afternoon, I thought it would be a good idea to get one. I have only had the flu once about 10 yrs ago and it was very nice. Anyway, I called my local surgery and asked how my husband and I could get one. I was told that the nurse just had a open session yesterday for folks to come in and they "may" have another session on Friday afternoon, so I should call back then.

What the heck? Call there say at 1 pm and drop everything to rush over for it? Why can't they give me a definitive day/time frame as to when they are doing it so you can plan to be there?

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »

Typo...it wasn't very nice (saw it as I was posting)!

• Me and my Brit
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 07:06:22 PM »
I'm seriously considering it this year.  I've never had one, and have been told not to get it because they use a preservative called Thimerasol (sp), which I've had a bad reaction to.  They do make it without this preservative, but you have to request it special from your doctor.  So I am not sure if I will get one or not.  Though the company I work for is saying that, while it has not been shown that getting the basic flu shot can prevent bird flu, it may help in not getting it.   ???  Not sure yet, but tomorrow is the day to go to the flu shot clinic so guess I need to make a decision one way or the other.

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2005, 07:06:50 PM »
I got the flu jab this year; I was entitled to because I have asthma. I normally never get a flu shot because I never get anything worse than a cold, and I don't get many colds (I got the flu once about 18 years ago), but I thought that living on a new continent might put extra stress on my immune system.

I was extremely achey about two days after,  and then had sniffles for about a day, but it was not a big deal.

Since it was my first flu shot, the nurse made me wait in the waiting room for 15 minutes after the jab to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction.

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else noticed how British people will say they've got "the flu" when they only have a cold?

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »
I get them, only because I have both a kidney and blood disease.  My immune system is shot and I have to get pnemonia shots and flu shots every year.  The one year I didn't, I was violently ill for a few weeks, spent my birthday at the Royal Infirmary in Edinburgh.  Not fun.

That said, I am a FIRM believer that (esspecially in the USA) people over-do the flu shot / antibiotics / germ-killing thing.  Whilst I do understand the risks involved with certain groups of people who get sick, I also know that we are making our bodies weaker with the constant preventative measures.  What ever happened to good old "healthy eating, vitamins, rest and excersize" idea?  It works for me (mostly) and for my friends...

(Oh, and FunGirl, my Daddy had a flu shot ONCE in his life, because the military made him do it.  It is the ONLY time he has ever gotten the flu.  He will never get the shot again.)

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2005, 07:20:34 PM »
(Oh, and FunGirl, my Daddy had a flu shot ONCE in his life, because the military made him do it.  It is the ONLY time he has ever gotten the flu.  He will never get the shot again.)

I'm not the only one who calls her dad, Daddy!!   ;D  Cool!

~Liza
"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with a new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old."  ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2005, 07:22:21 PM »
I'm not the only one who calls her dad, Daddy!!   ;D  Cool!

~Liza

Trust me, when I was younger there were certainly times I called him other things  :-X 

• Me and my Brit
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 07:28:46 PM »
Trust me, when I was younger there were certainly times I called him other things  :-X 

You are not alone there either!!!  ;)

~Liza

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 07:35:56 PM »
I called mine Daddy as well.........

and the kids called him papaw

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 10:59:45 PM »
I'm not the only one who calls her dad, Daddy!! ;D Cool!

~Liza

Hijack: As a Southern girl, I have always called my father Daddy and I'm 48! Hijack over.
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 02:07:48 AM »
in the US they have a nasal flu vaccine.  do they have it in the UK?  i was in the US last week and i tried to get a flu shot/jab from my us doctor, but they didn't have any :-(

If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 04:38:44 AM »

Trust me, if I didn't have to I wouldn't!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab