Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another PETS question  (Read 15149 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Another PETS question
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 02:06:47 PM »
Thanks for the info on Continental and Houston. It's a back-up plan for us to fly out of there in case we decide to leave earlier than planned. I really don't want to book any tickets before we even sell the house though.  Nothing seems easy about this move. :-[

Cheers,

Leslie

• BARGALARG!!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 05:31:11 PM »

Lordamighty every little thing we do for this move is a pain in the butt.  ::)

AMEN to that my friend!

Good luck to you!
ouchy

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 03:49:38 AM »
Hello all. I am in the beginning planning stages of moving to the UK (England) in about two years and I hope to bring both of my cats. I have read up a little on the PETS scheme and I understand that, unless you are military personnel, the only place to get the required blood teasting done is in Kansas. Can your local vet draw the blood and then ship it or something? I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I am wondering if I have to fly my cats to Kansas!? Also I would like some feedback on the effects of an overseas flight on animals. Should I plan to sedate them? One of them is fairly neurotic already ( he has a small breakdown whenI moved accross town!) and I am worried about hin flying. I also cannot imagine leaving them here. Any advice? Thanks in advance....
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

• StokesInternet
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 05:32:41 AM »
... the only place to get the required blood teasting done is in Kansas. Can your local vet draw the blood and then ship it or something? I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico and I am wondering if I have to fly my cats to Kansas!?

Your local vet can draw the blood and ship it to the place in Kansas for testing. But since they are the only place that does it they can charge whatever they want. It was $118 for each of our two cats. Also, it takes about six weeks to get the results, although they can enter Britain six months after the blood is drawn.

We just got our results back last week and now are waiting til we can send them over. If the cats knew what was up they would not be pleased with us. 

David
Pictures From Our New Home!
http://www.stokesinternet.com/move

• Hi there.
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 08:56:19 PM »
Your local vet can draw the blood and ship it to the place in Kansas for testing. But since they are the only place that does it they can charge whatever they want. It was $118 for each of our two cats.

Really?  Do you mean the blood test at KSU plus the vet charges for the blood drawing and all that?  The document I had about the KSU testing stated that the cost for the test is $40.  Then the vet charged me $71 for the visit, the blood drawing, and the shipping and handling costs.  So yeah, that was $111 total per animal, but the KSU charge was the minority of it.
Liz

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2005, 05:05:36 AM »
Be prepared to pay more than the KSU site says! I just had my kitty's blood drawn to send to KSU. I had expected to pay the $40 plus shipping and the vet venipuncture charge but found out after the fact that the vet would NOT ship the blood directly. They were only willing to use their lab service who charges $129. Highway robbery! My out the door total was $149. :(
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• Hi there.
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2005, 05:25:30 PM »
Be prepared to pay more than the KSU site says! I just had my kitty's blood drawn to send to KSU. I had expected to pay the $40 plus shipping and the vet venipuncture charge but found out after the fact that the vet would NOT ship the blood directly. They were only willing to use their lab service who charges $129. Highway robbery! My out the door total was $149. :(

So who charged you the extra money?  Was is KSU?  Or was it your vet's lab?  My vet did send the sample directly and already charged me for the services related to that, so I hope no surprise charges pop up.

These costs add up really quickly when you are doing everything for three animals!
Liz

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 07:48:35 PM »
So who charged you the extra money?  Was is KSU?  Or was it your vet's lab?  My vet did send the sample directly and already charged me for the services related to that, so I hope no surprise charges pop up.

These costs add up really quickly when you are doing everything for three animals!

Oh, but aren't they worth it?! lol

KSU didn't charge me any more than they said they would. I'm not sure what happened in Courtney's case. Maybe it was the vet overcharging? My vet didn't send the sample either, but they packed it up in styrofoam and cooling things, etc. for me, ready for shipping -- and didn't charge me for that. All I had to do was take it to Mail Boxes Etc. and send it overnight.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2005, 01:24:25 AM »
The lab that my vet contracts with charged me the extra $90. The vet would not send it directly and although I initially tried calling around my area to find a vet who would, I was out of luck. Seem this lab has a mini monopoly in the area. I gave in because I did not want to further delay the process and because one trip to the vet is awful enough for him. Poor thing tries to melt into the table and look invisible. :(
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 01:48:47 PM »
I know that Continental in Houston says they will send pets year round, but read the fine details.  If it is more than 80 degrees outside, they will not fly any pets.  I called them and they said that you have to check with the airport the day of travel to make sure the temperature is ok.  We're suppose to move this summer.  It's already over 80 degrees here.

• StokesInternet
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 02:43:23 PM »
I know that Continental in Houston says they will send pets year round, but read the fine details.  If it is more than 80 degrees outside, they will not fly any pets.  I called them and they said that you have to check with the airport the day of travel to make sure the temperature is ok.  We're suppose to move this summer.  It's already over 80 degrees here.

I was just wondering that. We were considering flying our cats out of Houston, because my parents live in Texas and the cats could stay there.

But when is it NOT over 80 in Houston?

Yeah, I know, I've been there when it was freezing (ice on highways in Houston is not a pretty sight) but I've also seen plenty of days in January above 80. I'm not sure you can predict cool weather in Houston far enough in advance to make travel plans.

David
Pictures From Our New Home!
http://www.stokesinternet.com/move

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 03:51:06 AM »
Has anyone carried their pet with them in the cabin? I've flown with my cat that way within the US, but I don't know if I could get away with it trans-Atlantic. My vet said he would be a bit cramped, but safe. Sounds like everyone here has used the crate/hold method -- or perhaps that's required?

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2005, 09:49:44 AM »
There's strict rules about them flying in cargo trans atlantic. I was very worried about my little dog but he was fine, VERY happy to see me when we picked him up reception centreat Heathrow.
Hope all goes well for you,
Linda

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2005, 12:58:15 AM »
There is still the problem of flying any pet out of most airports in the US during the summer months.  Most airlines will not fly pets either domestically or internationally from June Thru September  (or when temps are over 85 degrees farenheit). So if you are going to fly out of Memphis to Chicago.........make sure the airline flying you into Chicago will fly your pet if you go during the warm season. Some airlines do have climate controlled facilities for flying in the warm months but they are few and far between.

British Airways has climate-controlled carriers and you can fly anytime of the year, I was told.(I'll be flying out of Chicago, and hoping Manchester is an approved route by October!)
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 06:28:45 PM »
I just moved 3 cats and 3 ferrets over the pond, and I can tell you, it isn't easy or cheap.  From the east coast, it's best to go Newark to Heathrow on Virgin.  The cargo crew were courteous and helpful.  I was just looking at our female cat's paperwork.  It was $332.36 to ship her - alone.  (she got away the day of the other cat's flight) This expense is not including the vet, KSU, or the PA Dept of Agriculture.   

I have a few pointers:

All animals must be transported in a container that is large enough for them to turn around.  It cannot be so small that their back is skimming the top.  It must have ventilation on all sides - even if you need to drill your own holes.  Buy the largest container you can afford.  You will feel better and so will the animal. 

You cannot import more than 4 pets at a time without a commercial license.  If you have more than 3 pets, you need to split the journey. 

Virgin has climate-controlled cargo, so the animals made it though just fine, but I included a fleece for the ferrets cuz they like to cuddle.

Virgin doesn't allow a water bottle anymore - you must have the cups of water.  No food prior to the flight -- and No Sedating Drugs prior to the flight or they will refuse carriage.  I know - I have a cat that can't stand the car.. he meows and drools and sheds and all sorts, but once you hand over your pet to Cargo, he/she WILL be in good hands - they WILL survive the flight - and the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow absolutely LOVE your pets as if they were their own - and feed, water, and cuddle them as soon as they are off the plane.   No worries!!

Sponsored Links