Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Another PETS question  (Read 11630 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Another PETS question
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2005, 04:54:34 PM »
Yeah, Defra does not really specify the USDA requirement IS the 3rd party, so it gets a bit confusing. 

jsayegh,  where did you see that some breeds are not allowed?  what breeds?  there's no chance they'd exclude a lovable mutt, is there? 

-Grant

The world we have created is a product of our thinking;
it cannot be changed without changing our thinking.
                                                        ‹ Albert Einstein

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2005, 04:55:18 PM »
jsayegh,  where did you see that some breeds are not allowed?  what breeds?  there's no chance they'd exclude a lovable mutt, is there? 

Isn't it just pitbulls?
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2005, 04:58:08 PM »
what is my mix is possibly part pit, but clearly not full pit? (as I get nervous) is this info on defra, I have not seen it yet.

‹ Albert Einstein

• Snaps
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2005, 05:04:09 PM »
I found this on DEFRA: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/dogs.htm

I didn't read it too thoroughly, so I'm not sure if they're talking only about purebred breeds or not. You might want to email them and ask for more info.

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2005, 05:12:43 PM »
I was looking at http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/ddogsleaflet.pdf
It goes into DETAIL about it's not ony pure breeds, but any dog that may exhibit the charataristics or behavoirs of the banned breeds which include the pitbull, and THREE others.  I was surprised to also learn that up till 1997 these animals were DESTROYED if brought into the country.  How atrocious.
I should be ok, my dog is old, is the most passive of animals and has longer hair than a pit.  He used to have the muscle body and markings of his (possible) pit ancestors (he was a rescue), but he's mixed with so much else, and is not as muscle-bound anymore, that no one would really notice or care (I hope).  But it brings me concern that these breeds are banned and that there is a margin of judgement on any dog mix resemblying them. 

I think I will do an extra posting re-titled, Banned Dog Breeds, because people should know.  Thanks to this thread for bringing it up.

-Grant

‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2005, 04:03:58 AM »
Great news - sort of.
I emailed DEFRA and ask them if it was true that Bristol Int. Airport was approved to take incoming dogs from other countries (as I was told when I visited in the Fall).  The responded YES!!!!  Yeah! 
BUT. . . they also informed me there are currently no "routes" approved (meaning airlines that have the permission to land with pets).  So, it's a bit useless at the moment.
So far, DEFRA has been very slow to respond to my emails.  I'm trying to find out next, when and what airlines might be approved by the time I fly (Oct).
I plan to call both DEFRA and the airport to ask (and to apply that old trusty consumer demand pressure/$).

IF ANYONE ELSE COULD BENEFIT FROM A ROUTE APPROVAL TO BRISTOL, PLEASE CONTACT ME SO I CAN MENTION IT.

I'm aiming to get a continental flight approval from NYC to Bristol (since they are approved from other US airports to Heathrow).

Really hoping to get my dog over there this way and save the hassle of taking the train across the entire country.  And I hope this can also help some of you other animal lovers out there.

‹ Albert Einstein

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2005, 09:22:52 AM »
As it was the pressure from the Americans (military & diplomatic services) that actually got the whole pets passport situation going for N.America, I would also suggest lobbying your Ambassador here, the UKC and in this instance, it would probably be pertinent to strongly emphasise the age of your dog.

You will also find lots of support on many other forums.
Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2005, 04:49:49 PM »
ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!!!!! Im moving to Bristol in January.  Id be THRILLED to fly directly instead of having to deal with London.  That would be so cool.  Let me know if I should bug them as well.  I'll be flying from San Francisco. :)

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2005, 01:50:39 AM »
MIXED NEWS:
DEFRA says "very soon" but can't give me dates or addvice.  This is all via email by the way.  Continteal said they currently don't have approval and don't know why.  They don't know how long it will take (by email as well).  I'm thinking of calling or writing more emails with details of my situation - ie old dog (thank you New Dawn for the idea), nyc to bristol, cost, etc. 

If jen red and other want to write as well (PLEASE DO) Continental's email is:

petsafe@coair.com

and DEFRA's quarintine email is:

pets.helpline@defra.gsi.gov.uk

please let me know of any developments as I have to book my flight soon.    :-[

‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2005, 08:17:44 AM »
Hello all,

OK I am leaving for London by the end of Aug.  I have settled all my questions about quarantine, but I have a few more.  I need to put my 1 year old German Shepard and 1 year Cat on a plane before I leave. I have done enough research to know what is required but, I am not sure on the create thing.  Do I have to purchase the creates?  And If I do how do I get the cat, dog and two large creates through the airport? Do i have to carry them? AND the pets? Any info would be great. ???

• Eric Loves Tara
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2005, 11:48:29 PM »
Is there any way around this 6 month waiting period?

I will be moving to Scotland in one month and have just now found about this 6 month waiting period! :( I didn't even decide about moving until about a month ago or I would have done this sooner! :/

Any loopholes or ways around this?

• Snaps
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2005, 11:50:21 PM »
Is there any way around this 6 month waiting period?

Unfortunately, no. Up until a couple of years ago, you would have had to put your pet into quarantine here in the UK for six months, so it's actually a great improvement.

The only thing you could do is leave your pet behind with friends or family, and then have it shipped on its own six months later. I'm not sure how that works, but I believe it's possible.

« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2005, 04:31:41 AM »
My partner and I were just discussing this tonight because we are SO frustrated with the extra stress, money and time this causes.  ARRGG!

I read somewhere that France does not have such quarantines and that people have gone to France first for 6 months, and then moved to the UK.  This 6 months then qualified the animal entry into the UK. 

My partner and I were joking around tonight about flying into France and then smugling the dog by ship!   oh, the ideas that frustration and late hours will bring!
;-)

‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2005, 04:47:17 AM »
Any updates?  Has anyone else tried contacting them?  Continteal is not answering much on emails other than there is still an embargo.  :(

‹ Albert Einstein

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2005, 05:24:18 AM »
Did anyone do this???  Is this even possible???

‹ Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links