Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help Needed- re Meds Please  (Read 843 times)

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
  • Liked: 0
Help Needed- re Meds Please
« on: November 04, 2005, 11:32:45 PM »
I was just prescribed an anti biotic called "Avelox" and some Tussinx (?) cough medication for "Acute Bronchitis/Borderline Pneumonia".

I took one pill and one small sip of the medicine and had a little nap, no problems, but through the night I was straining to cough and took some more- today I woke up with literally my worst ever splitting headache and then vomitted twice.  Went back to Dr and she said I had probably OD'd on the cough medicine, not to take any more, but keep taking the A/B. Came home took one and within 2 hours my head was bad again and I threw up again.

I have to wait for a call-back from the Dr's, as she has now gone to another branch for a few days and I need a prescription for something less strong- but they are saying it's not the antibiotic and if I go back I have to pay for a third visit (Already paid the $195 initial and $50 follow up fee- which I think is unfair as it was related to yesterday's visit and clearly something prescribed for me doesn't suit.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these meds (the Tussin stuff has hydrocodone in it) and or any advice. I tried to judge if it was an ER visit, but didn't feel it was an emergency and I am aware I am not in the NHS now.

Thanks- I haven't got the headache now and don't feel so nauseous, but definitely don't feel right.

Born to shop..............forced to work

Re: Help Needed- re Meds Please
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 04:13:20 AM »
I've never taken either of those meds, but it sounds like a reaction to me.  I have an intolerance for medications with sulfa in it - not an allergy - which causes similar problems.  I know that's not a lot of help, but I understand what you're going through.

Is there an urgent care center you can go to?  They won't be open this late, but should be by about 8-9am tomorrow.  They're good for when you'd like to see a doctor soon, but your problem isn't emergent.  If you can't get in to see your doctor before Monday, it may be a good alternative.

I'm glad that you're feeling a bit better, but don't hesitate to go in to see someone if you still don't feel "right" in the morning.  I know it's hard to move from the NHS to having to pay for every little thing, but your health is far too important!

I hope you're feeling better soon.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 08:36:14 AM »
...and if I go back I have to pay for a third visit (Already paid the $195 initial and $50 follow up fee- which I think is unfair as it was related to yesterday's visit and clearly something prescribed for me doesn't suit. 

Ah - welcome to the fabulous American medical system (without insurance, eh?)... :-\\\\  The much-maligned NHS certainly has its virtues!

Feel better.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 09:43:17 AM »
Hi New Dawn!

Sorry to hear you are feeling poorly.  I was in the same situation as you, re:  severe bronchitis/ borderline pnuemonia a couple of years ago while I was still in the states and did not have insurance.  My doctor put me on Vicodin and the stuff just completely knocked me out.  Vicodin/Hydrocodone are the same stuff in other words codeine derivatives!  I will admit I did not cough but I was in a comatose state after taking the stuff.  Really, no kidding. :o  Scared me to death.  I called my doctor and told him of the problems I was having and he had me cut the dose down by half and it really helped me a lot.  I should also mention that I have a very low drug tolerance level and get a buzz on Midol ;D, so I am especially careful about what drugs are prescribed for me. 

Go to Drugs.com and type in hydrocodone and it will give you a list of all side effects that are normal and typical.

I feel so sorry for you as I am a chronic bronchitis sufferer and in fact am just getting over a nasty bout with it over here.   One more thing, did the doctor give you a breathing treatment with a nebuliser?  That has to be the one thing that helps me the most and unfortunately I have praise for my GP over here but they do not have such equipment at the surgery.  I am now off to ebay to buy my own!

Feel better soon!

Rose

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 10:34:55 AM »
So sorry New Dawn!  Sounds awful!  I had something similar happen to me here in the UK.  I was on meds after my op. and It was way too strong for me, had a bad reaction and had to go back.  I got some new meds and all was fine.  Actually it happened twice, but hey, they switched the meds for me.  (Oh and I was charged each time I came in, was Private)

Feel better!

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 05:50:27 PM »
Guys thanks so much- I didn't take any more and the Dr never called me back ( I*don't* think so!!) So, hubby went down there this am and demanded a new prescription of Amoxicillin and didn't budge 'til he got it!

I risked a tiny sip of the medicine last night and it did help and I didn't suffer again, so it must have been the anti-biotic. The Dr was very keen to put down "cheap meds" on the NHS and give me something "extra strong", but didn't really take into account that I might not be able to tolerate it.

Rose, that's such a good website, thank you. (and I hope you are much much better!)

Carolyn- I do have insurance (a really good expat one as it goes) but it wasn't acceptable for direct billing, so I have to keep receipts and submit them :( Better than having to pay for it all myself however!

Thanks again for the well wishes, I feel almost human again :)

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 05:51:29 PM »
I forgot, Thanks also F.Girl, for the urgent care centre idea- I am going to spend some time researching all my options so I am well prepared if there is a next time
:)

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 12:30:04 AM »
Hope you're feeling better soon!
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 12:33:52 PM »
Just FYI, in an emergency in the US, you can always go to an Emergency Room, 24 hours a day, whether you have insurance or not. You'll just get a bill later if you're not insured.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 04:35:10 PM »
Just FYI, in an emergency in the US, you can always go to an Emergency Room, 24 hours a day, whether you have insurance or not. You'll just get a bill later if you're not insured.

Yes, that's any ER, by the way.  They are required to treat anyone regardless of their insurance status or carrier.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab