Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: NHS and accupuncture  (Read 714 times)

NHS and accupuncture
« on: November 11, 2005, 12:46:16 PM »
I have recently been treating with an acupuncturist for a back injury. First relief from pain in many years. Needless to say I think acupuncture is the greatest thing. Any idea if the NHS would cover treatment and are there many acupuncturists around?

Re: NHS and accupuncture
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 12:52:38 PM »
IAny idea if the NHS would cover treatment and are there many acupuncturists around?

No, as of now they do not cover it.  But there are plenty of accupuncturists around. 

There have been proposals to include it, and other complimentary medical treatments, but nothing firm has come of these proposals.

• Tis Me!
    • My Family Photos
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 01:13:46 PM »
After our car wreck..we went to physio and the person working on me referred me to have aromatherapy massages..and the IOM NHS paid for that for me for over 6 months twice a week...

even tho it is NHS here it must have different guidelines..as we are self sufficient.......

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 02:14:27 PM »
At a surgery that I worked at (in Devon), we had one doctor who did accupuncture and there wasn't an extra charge for it.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 02:47:03 PM »
We don't even get an abnormality scan here during pregnancy. 

Services vastly depend on your area.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 05:45:15 PM »
Thanks for the responses. We'll be in Dorset or Somerset. I have had such a good experience with the acunpcture that I would definitely travel for it. Could you give me any more info on the Devon practice?

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 10:32:16 PM »
you would have to be registered with the surgery, i don't think you could live out of the area. 

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 10:47:09 PM »
you would have to be registered with the surgery, i don't think you could live out of the area. 

Yes, most surgeries have 'catchment' areas, so to speak, and registration is limited to those who live in or around the area.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 12:37:34 AM »
Yes, most surgeries have 'catchment' areas, so to speak, and registration is limited to those who live in or around the area.

Bummer.

I wonder if you could make a case for treatment out of your area if someone in your area does not perform a particular kind of treatment. Oh my god, here I am going to be getting free healthcare and I have the nerve to be looking for something more!

I am sure that I'll be happy with whatever is given to me NHS wise!

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »
I rather doubt that you could be referred for somethng like that, however, down this way accupuncture is quite popular and fairly inexpensive.

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 09:44:26 AM »
Oh my god, here I am going to be getting free healthcare and I have the nerve to be looking for something more!

It isn't free.  You pay for it from you gross income in your NI contributions, which can be about 11%.

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 12:03:02 PM »
I understand that it isn't totally free, but coming from someone who has paid out of pocket about $15,000 per year for health insurance, it seems pretty free to me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab