Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Name Change  (Read 492 times)

• Liked: 0
Name Change
« on: November 28, 2005, 09:34:52 AM »
So....I'm on my journey of applying for my visa.  My question is how do I change my name legally in the US?  I was married Nov. 5 and am finding many sites to help me change it, but haven't found the government rules on it yet.

I want to put my married name on my visa form, but am not sure if it will get snarled up if I haven't gotten the legal change from the US yet.

Any advice?  Thanks!

Re: Name Change
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:58:15 AM »
You need to do it through the social security office. You can do it through the post, but I am pretty sure that you have to send in an original copy of your birth certificate.
check this site out, it should answer all your questions. http://www.ssa.gov/gethelp1.htm

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 10:46:22 AM »
Thanks, that helps!  Do you think I can apply for my visa here under my married name before I do this?  I need to apply for my visa asap (runs out Jan 19!) and would like to do it under my married name, if possible.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 10:47:42 AM »
Your spousal visa will be issued in whatever name is in your passport at the time.  It doesn't matter if it's issued in your maiden name -- you can always show your marriage certificate as proof of your married name if you work/open accounts under your married name here.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 10:44:50 PM »
I wanted my name changed on my passport before I applied for settlement visa.  So I mailed it to the passport office, the cost is $67 plus an additional $60 for expedited service.  Well... they're version of expedited service is three days AFTER they receive it.  It took 3 1/2 weeks for them to receive it.  So, I was without my passport for a month.  Without paying the extra charge, it would have been two months!  Enough complaining, next week Ill have my passport back with my sparkling new name on it!  HORAY!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab