Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visa Form Questions  (Read 1378 times)

• Bob?
  • Liked: 0
Visa Form Questions
« on: October 31, 2003, 08:28:16 PM »
Hello,

My fiance and I plan to marry and live in the UK.  I've been in the UK since June, and I was here the summer before for a month.  We leave for the US November 5.

We've been trying to nail down a fiance visa for our return to the UK in December.  We've gotten a lot of info in the last few days, a lot of which came from lurking here.  I've been relieved to discover that the visa wont take long,  but I have a few questions about the forms and requirements.

We absolutely cannot afford to drive to the nearest consulate.  How long does it usually take if done by mail?  What other than the application will I have to send them?  We've been working on the online application, but it says we'll have to mail them several things.

What proof do I need that we are intending to marry?

What do you suggest I include in a portfolio of evidence of our relationship?  We're pretty contained with few friends in this area, so we don't have many pictures of us taken together.  Most of our correspondance is over email, we're usually not people to write out cards and such.  Most of what I have is electronic evidence.  Do I print it out?  Do you think they'd accept it as files burnt onto a CD?  What questions are they likely to ask us as proof of our relationship?  Will our significant age different pose a problem? (I am 18, he is 40).  

There are several confusing questions on the form.  Is my fiance considered a British citizen or a British subject? He was born in the UK, raised in Australia, then moved back to the UK.  He was not naturalized as an Australian citizen.

I came to the UK under a travel visa.  It asks if I've applied for entry to the UK before.  Have I?  I didn't apply for anything, they just stamped my passport.  Does entering on a free visitor visa count as having applied?

It asks for the date that I last met my fiance.  I've been staying with him for nearly 6 months.  What do I put for this date?

It asks if my fiance has given me any financial support.  How do I answer?  While I've been living with him, we've shared our finances, so at a glance I'd say yes.  I'm wondering if this means he's been sending funds to my home country to help me live or something.  How should I answer this?

What are the chances that we will have to drive to a consulate even if we do this over the post?

What are the dos and don'ts of coming through immigration on a fiance visa?  Is there anything I should or shouldn't reveal?

Do they take credit card payments for the visa costs?

Thank you for any help you give, I'll really appreciate it.   :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2003, 08:29:40 PM by KaliJean »

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
Re: Visa Form Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 10:44:32 PM »
HI Kali!  Welcome to the site.  Looks like you're in that "oh-my-god-there's-so-much-to-this-and-I-gotta-get-it-right-'cause-my-every-happiness-and-future-depends-on-it" phase.  Fun, isn't it?  ;)

I'll try to answer what I can, but I prob. won't have all the answers...I'm sure you'll be okay tho.  Just take it step by step, keep reading and learning and you'll be ok!  This isn't as complicated of a process as it may seem at first.

You can read about our fiance visa process here if you want:

http://www15.brinkster.com/wishstar/FirstYear/notourist.htm

It may help ease your worried mind a bit.

Hello,

My fiance and I plan to marry and live in the UK.

Congrats first of all!  :)

We absolutely cannot afford to drive to the nearest consulate.  How long does it usually take if done by mail?

It depends really.  If you send everything they need/want to see, it won't take more than a week or two.  If it takes you a while to get anything together that they come back and ask you for, it might take a bit longer.  On the whole, they're pretty quick.

What other than the application will I have to send them?

Again, see the link above.  It has a list of all the stuff we sent in.  

What proof do I need that we are intending to marry?

All we did was say we'd called the registrar where we wanted to get married and provisionally book a date with them.  And we did that in a letter.  Easy!  

What do you suggest I include in a portfolio of evidence of our relationship?

Since you've obviously met each other before and have spent a good amount of time together, they won't need much.  We sent a few emails and cards, and that was it.  If you need want to send photos, just get some taken...have a friend take them or even a stranger, really.  You don't need much.  They're more interested in the financial side of things really.

Will our significant age different pose a problem? (I am 18, he is 40).  

I doubt it.  But this is a rather subjective thing...some people get by with the bare minimum of information, other get grilled.  All you can do is send as much as possible and hope for the best!  Most people are fine, so don't worry about this...as long as you're legal, you should have no trouble.

Is my fiance considered a British citizen or a British subject? He was born in the UK, raised in Australia, then moved back to the UK.  He was not naturalized as an Australian citizen.

If he has a British passport, he's a British citizen.  A British subject would be someone living in the Commonwealth, I believe.

I came to the UK under a travel visa.  It asks if I've applied for entry to the UK before.  Have I?  I didn't apply for anything, they just stamped my passport.  Does entering on a free visitor visa count as having applied?

No it doesn't count.  They're trying to find out here if you've been denied entry before for some reason or if you are one of those just trying to get to the UK and perhaps have just managed to find someone to marry you for that purpose.  You entered on a visa waiver...so there was no entry visa.  

However, be careful you don't over stay your six months!  They won't like it if you have already broken the rules.

It asks for the date that I last met my fiance.  I've been staying with him for nearly 6 months.  What do I put for this date?

I'm not too sure about this but I would suggest you put the last date you'll be in the UK with him.  

It asks if my fiance has given me any financial support.  How do I answer?  While I've been living with him, we've shared our finances, so at a glance I'd say yes.  I'm wondering if this means he's been sending funds to my home country to help me live or something.  How should I answer this?

Hmmm....have you been working in the last 6 months?  Has he been supporting you or did you come over with your own money?  If he has been supporting you, I think you say yes.

What are the chances that we will have to drive to a consulate even if we do this over the post?

It's not likely you'll have to do this unless they want to interview you and I've yet to hear of anyone actually being summoned for that purpose.  If they have any problems or questions about your application, they can call or write to you to clarify or ask for more documentation.  

What are the dos and don'ts of coming through immigration on a fiance visa?  Is there anything I should or shouldn't reveal?

Nah...that bit is easy!  After you get entry clearance you needn't worry about saying or not saying anything.  You're legally able to be here and you can talk about staying forever because that's what your visa says you're intending to do!  Likely the immigration officer will just welcome you to your new home!

Do they take credit card payments for the visa costs?

Unless this has changed recently, the answer is no.  You'll need a money order or the like for the current fees.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck!!!  Look forward to hearing how it goes.  Where in the UK are you living?

• Bob?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 12:25:02 AM »
Thank you for replying!  Unfortunately, I can't figure out the quote tag.  Could someone teach me?

You don't need much.  They're more interested in the financial side of things really.

Eek!  I am unemployed and so is my fiance (he's on benefits for a back injury).  Are we going to have problems because of this?  His mother is willing to vouch for me in case I run out of funds.

Also, I've only been 18 since April.  We were intensely affectionate when I was 17.  Will they look down on this?  I'm reluctant to include some of our correspondance due to this.  I know 16 is the age of consent in the UK, but it's not in my state in the US.  

However, be careful you don't over stay your six months!  They won't like it if you have already broken the rules.

I haven't overstayed, but there's something that's eaten at me a little bit since we've been trying this.  When I entered the UK the most recent time, the immigration officer stamped my passport on the condition that I left when my return ticket was dated, October 15.  Circumstances forced us to move that date to Nov. 5, well before the 6 month limit.  Will I have problems because I didn't leave on the 15th?  I had the regular travel visa as far as I know, I got the feeling the officer was just scaring me.  

Hmmm....have you been working in the last 6 months?  Has he been supporting you or did you come over with your own money?  If he has been supporting you, I think you say yes.

I'm not allowed to work on this visa so I haven't.  He can't work due to his injury.  Will they look down on his having supported me with benefit money?

I'm in Scotland, near the town of Stirling.  I've loved this place since I first visited, and I'm so happy to be coming here.  It's a very happy place for me all around.

Thank you so much for your help, I really do appreciate it.  It's wonderful to see someone who understands just what it's like.

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2003, 10:31:24 AM »
Thank you for replying!  Unfortunately, I can't figure out the quote tag.  Could someone teach me?

Just click on the 'quote' button above the person's post you want to quote.  Then reply below their post which will automatically show up in the reply box.

Eek!  I am unemployed and so is my fiance (he's on benefits for a back injury).  Are we going to have problems because of this?  His mother is willing to vouch for me in case I run out of funds.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this might be a serious problem in getting this visa.  A big part of the criteria of a fiancee visa is financial support, without relying on public funds.  Unless you have significant funds to support yourself (ie, can show bank statements with a lot of money in savings, etc that would be enough to support you for the full six months the fiancee visa is valid) you're gonna have trouble.  His mother might be helpful in supporting your relationship, but financially, if he is on benefits, you're gonna have to show the money is coming from yourself.

Also, I've only been 18 since April.  We were intensely affectionate when I was 17.  Will they look down on this?  I'm reluctant to include some of our correspondance due to this.  I know 16 is the age of consent in the UK, but it's not in my state in the US.  

I don't think the age thing will matter that much except in the area of being unemployed and not having work experience or marketable job skills.  Altho neither my hubby nor I had a huge amount of money at the time, our earning potential was clear from our CV's/resumes which showed that we would not need to rely on public funds.  I assume it might be difficult for you to prove such a thing?  It will be illegal for you to live off of his benefits alone, and if that is your plan, they will not give you this visa.

When I entered the UK the most recent time, the immigration officer stamped my passport on the condition that I left when my return ticket was dated, October 15.  Circumstances forced us to move that date to Nov. 5, well before the 6 month limit.  Will I have problems because I didn't leave on the 15th?  I had the regular travel visa as far as I know, I got the feeling the officer was just scaring me.

Officers can be a bit condescending and scary, but they are usually absolutely honest and right.  If your passport says anything about being allowed entry on the condition of leaving on the 15 Oct and you didn't do that, it isn't going to look good.  You've basically broken the rules already and they get really funny about those sorts of things.  

I'm not allowed to work on this visa so I haven't.  He can't work due to his injury.  Will they look down on his having supported me with benefit money?

As I said before, this is illegal and yes, they will look down on it.  

If you chose to skip the fiancee visa and just go to the US and get married, the financial bit of this will likely still trip you up.  It's a very big part of getting a settlement visa and the one area where they are very strict.  Have you thought of going back to the US and working for a while to save up money?

I know this sounds pretty negative, but you never know!  It might be worth a shot trying for the visa...just be aware that if they deny the visa, you won't get your money back.

I do wish you luck!  :)

• Bob?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2003, 03:30:02 PM »
Thank you for showing me that.

I assume it might be difficult for you to prove such a thing?  It will be illegal for you to live off of his benefits alone, and if that is your plan, they will not give you this visa.

We weren't going to live off of them.  When we returned, he was going to get a job and I was going to set up a business on Ebay.  I've had only one job in the past, at McDonalds, but I've discovered a knack for selling second hand clothes on Ebay that generated a lot of cash.  Unfortunately, a lot of that cash went to the substantial credit card debt of my fiance's (I'm contributing to paying it back because he paid for my tickets and I want to help).  

Would they accept my intentions to be self-employed?  Should I state that I'll be getting a minimum wage job to support myself?

I was under the impression that the financial end would be okay as long as his mother agreed to support me.  We've called several places, and he called the British Home Office and the man there apparently told him that.  I wasn't there when he called, so I'm not sure exactly what he said.

Officers can be a bit condescending and scary, but they are usually absolutely honest and right.  If your passport says anything about being allowed entry on the condition of leaving on the 15 Oct and you didn't do that, it isn't going to look good.  You've basically broken the rules already and they get really funny about those sorts of things.  

My passport doesn't say anything about it.  It's a stamp with "IMMIGRATION OFFICER *(378)* -3 JUN 2003 GATWICK(S)".  Over the stamp it says "LEAVE TO ENTER FOR 6 MONTHS: EMPLOYMENT AND RECOURSE TO PUBLIC FUNDS PROHIBITED."

Do you think he was just being scary?

Have you thought of going back to the US and working for a while to save up money?

I've thought about it hard, but the idea of leaving him again scares me more than anything.  It was very painful the first time and I'd like to avoid it.  I've built a life here, I have dogs and fish and things I've become very attached to.  

I'm afraid to risk it.  I'll tell my fiance everything you've told me and we'll think on it.  

Thank you for your help.  While a bit disheartening, I'm glad we have more information.  Thank you again.  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 03:33:38 PM by KaliJean »

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2003, 03:42:37 PM »
KaliJean, what do your parents think of all this?

I know you are 18 and an adult, but have they offered to help you?  Maybe by giving you some cash for the wedding, or for the move, or whatever?

Also, how long have you and your fiance been together/known each other?  Perhaps that will affect your visa application, maybe your parents could offer evidence (write a letter or something).

Also, perhaps if he starts his job hunt now that might aid you in your application as well.

Also, you say "I'm afraid to risk it" when discussing coming back to the states for a while...risk what?  
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 03:46:01 PM by SAF »

• Wishstar

• An American in London
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 04:14:04 PM »
I know you're young and I really hate to be judgemental but your situation seems a bit too uncertain to be making a big move like this.  That's just my unsolicited opinion, of course, but I feel I just had to say it.  I'm sorry if it seems mean and harsh.  

I'm having the same thoughts as SAF.  What do your parents think of all of this?  This move is a hard thing even with the support of family and the experience of years.  How do you know you're prepared or really able to make this decision?

No, I don't personally think ebay will be acceptable as a job to immigration.  There's no guarentee of income there.  Self-employed people can get visas but you will lack the evidence to show you can support yourself for the long term.  People who are approved as self-employed usually have very marketable skills and experience within their trade or business.  

I'm also unsure if they would accept a 'minimum wage' job.  From the Dept Trade and Industry Website (http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/nmw/):

Main (adult) rate for workers aged 22 and over

£4.50 per hour from 1 October 2003

Development rate for workers aged 18-21 inclusive

£3.80 per hour from 1 October 2003

So you won't even actually be able to make the full minimum wage until you're 22.  Did you realise that?  Are you prepared and able to live on this amount without financial assistance from the government?  There aren't many who can!  Immigration isn't going to want to take that chance.

I'm confused too as to why your fiance will be able to get a job later if he is on benefits now because he *can't* work. Why can't he work now then? What will change later?  

His mother's financial support may help initially if you were living with her or something like that.  It might also be alright if he wasn't on benefits already.  I could be wrong here but just her saying she'll help out if you get in a pinch probably isn't going to do you much good.  

Be careful what people tell you when you call up the Home Office...there are often cases where people are mis-informed that way.  Better to go by what is written down on the Home Office website, etc.  At least then you know you're getting the real story.

Here's a good site for Immigration info.  It's reliable and written in plain English so you'll probably find it really helpful.  (I know I did!)

http://www.overthepond.info/

I know being away from the one you love is hard, but sometimes hard things are the right thing to do, and the time apart often works out for the best.  I had to leave my darling once or twice too, so I know it's hard...and there are folks here who have been going back and forth for *years* before finally having things set up so that they didn't risk the rest of their lives on trying to move over before they were ready.  

Maturity can't be measured in years....and it is maturity that will tell you that you are probably not making very good decisions just now.  From the little bit you've told us, your sitution is very, very unlikely to be one that immigration will grant a visa for.  Why not get things in a good place so that immigration has no reason at all to turn you down before you make the big jump?  Being turned down once may  make it more difficult for you later when the timing is right.  

Just my opinion, but you need to sort out a few things before you make this move permanent....finances being just one of those things.  I'm not saying you shouldn't be with your fiance, or that you *won't* be with him for the rest of your life, or that he isn't the greatest guy in the world.  But there are reasons why your story will sound suspicious to immigration officers.  They can be overcome, but they will take time.

A wee time apart from your fiance won't break you up or harm you if it is the right thing or if you have what it takes to be together for the long haul.  

I do hope everything works out for you for the best.   :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 06:31:14 PM by wishstar »

• Bob?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2003, 07:43:49 PM »
SAF:

My mother is fine with us, though she is in a similar situation to my fiance.  She is a single mother without much money, unable to work.  She's been great about this whole thing.

My father has little involvement in my life and lives in a run-down trailer.  

My grandparents, who are wonderful, have loaned me some money from my college fund that I still owe.  It paid for the second set of tickets.  I'll consider asking them for more, but only has a very last resort.  Thank you for the idea, though I'd do it only grudgingly.

We've known each other nearly two years (first email Dec. 22 2001).  We've been in love roughly half of that.  I'll ask my mother to write a letter to that fact, that was a great idea, thank you :)

He's coming with me to the US, and we have less than a week until we fly out, so looking for a job at this point is not doable.  He was going to do it when we got back.

I'm afraid to risk being seperated from my fiance again.  It was VERY painful to leave the first time, to the point that I have very little memory of the week before the flight out.  I've never lived on my own before, and I don't really know how to function.  I'm also afraid to risk putting in the application for a visa and being rejected, wasting more of our funds.  We're living on credit at the moment.

Wishstar:

Thank you.  I'm beginning to come to a similar opinion, but I don't want to give up just yet.

I'm having the same thoughts as SAF.  What do your parents think of all of this?  This move is a hard thing even with the support of family and the experience of years.  How do you know you're prepared or really able to make this decision?

This move has already happened in everything but name.  All of my possessions are in this house, I've put down roots and attachments.  We live as a married couple already, sometimes I even sign his last name.  The only thing we have to do now is make it legal.  

So you won't even actually be able to make the full minimum wage until you're 22.  Did you realise that?  Are you prepared and able to live on this amount without financial assistance from the government?  There aren't many who can!  Immigration isn't going to want to take that chance.

No, I didn't realise that.  We're going to have to rely on my fiance getting a job and supplementing the income with a job of my own or the ebay business.  How do we get across to them that we both intend to take jobs?

I'm confused too as to why your fiance will be able to get a job later if he is on benefits now because he *can't* work. Why can't he work now then? What will change later?  

He's been out of work for a few years because he injured his back.  Only recently has he been able to do work.  He'll have to take an office job, not one lifting like he used to.

His mother's financial support may help initially if you were living with her or something like that.  It might also be alright if he wasn't on benefits already.  I could be wrong here but just her saying she'll help out if you get in a pinch probably isn't going to do you much good.

What if he came off of benefits immediately and placed his name in a job agency?  That's what his intentions were for when we returned anyway.

I know being away from the one you love is hard, but sometimes hard things are the right thing to do, and the time apart often works out for the best.  I had to leave my darling once or twice too, so I know it's hard...and there are folks here who have been going back and forth for *years* before finally having things set up so that they didn't risk the rest of their lives on trying to move over before they were ready.  

I'm prepared for the possibility that we will be seperated, but I want to avoid it if we can.  

Just my opinion, but you need to sort out a few things before you make this move permanent....finances being just one of those things.  

We only have 4 days until we leave for the US...I'm really scared now...I don't know how we could stop or put anything off.  My return ticket to the UK is set for December 3.  Is there anything I can do in the immediate future to rectify this?  Anything at all?

Thank you so much...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 07:46:40 PM by KaliJean »

Sponsored Links