Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned  (Read 49185 times)

• Chronicles of Squidgyboo
  • Liked: 1
Re: maternity benefits - the latest I have learned
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 06:21:43 PM »
I'm actually in a very similar situation.  Except that I became pregnant 2 weeks after starting my job.  I just barely qualify for SMP.  From what I understand anyone as long as they have been working continuously for 26 weeks before the 15th week before EWC will qualify for SMP.   

6 weeks @ 90% of full pay
20 weeks @ flat rate SMP
unpaid leave of up to 26 weeks

Also if your contract runs out while still out on maternity leave then they must extend the contract until the 26 weeks are up. This works out for me because my contract runs out 1/2 way through my leave.  I'm not sure if I've given you info you already had, hope this helps.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt

Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world. Eleanor Roosevelt

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 07:07:31 PM »
I have a question about maternity I'm hoping you gals will be able to answer:

I know that maternity leave is extending in April from 26 weeks to 39 weeks. What I want to know is if anyone knows whether it's from 1st April or 30th April.

I'm not pregnant but it's on the cards for us and I'd like to know if I should wait a bit longer to get the extra benefits.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 07:24:11 PM »
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 07:34:11 PM »
Thanks Ashley it's good to stay up to date on these things.   Look forward to hearing exciting news from you in the not too distant future.  ;D ;D

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 01:44:58 PM »
This thread should probably be updated as it is a "stickied" thread, as there are changes now for babies born after the 1st of April 07. The Business link website will have the updated info. But the big changes are that people are entitled to 39 weeks of SMP now and I believe the weekly pay has gone up to £110.  Also, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that you have to have worked for 26 weeks by 11 weeks prior to your due date. It is actually that you have to have worked 26 weeks by 15 weeks prior to the week of your due date. 

• taking over birmingham one by one...
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 01:19:11 PM »
This thread should probably be updated as it is a "stickied" thread, as there are changes now for babies born after the 1st of April 07. The Business link website will have the updated info. But the big changes are that people are entitled to 39 weeks of SMP now and I believe the weekly pay has gone up to £110.  Also, earlier in this thread someone mentioned that you have to have worked for 26 weeks by 11 weeks prior to your due date. It is actually that you have to have worked 26 weeks by 15 weeks prior to the week of your due date. 

is there a website, other than the business link website, that has the updated info for employees (rather than employers)?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 01:22:26 PM by niku2 »
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 09:23:42 PM »
Niku, check Tiger  or Acas.

http://www.tiger.gov.uk/

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 11:10:49 PM »
There's a helpful Q&A summary of the current law here:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/workingparents/story/0,,1796663,00.html

• taking over birmingham one by one...
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »
There's a helpful Q&A summary of the current law here:

http://money.guardian.co.uk/workingparents/story/0,,1796663,00.html

that's exactly what i needed--thanks!  :)
it's not where you're born, it's where you belong

-U2, 'summer rain'

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »
Here's a question I have been asked by someone on another forum.

A girl is in the UK on a working holidaymaker visa, and she is pregnant.  She is due to go off for maternity leave at the same time her 12 month limit on employment is up. Is she entitled to maternity leave even though under immigration law she would have to give up work anyway?

If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to know, as I'm stumped.

Thanks,

Vicky

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 11:20:33 AM »
I am pretty sure you only qualify for maternity leave/statutory maternity pay if you are on ILR or a UK citizen. Is she from a Commonwealth country? If so, maybe there is a reciprocal arrangement that would entitle her to something.

• Banned

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »
Maternity benefit is a contributory benefit, so if she were here as the spouse of a UK national I know she would qualify.

It's the working restriction element that I am unsure about.

Vicky

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »
Well if she has an appropriate visa that will allow her to return to the job at the end of the maternity leave (sounds like she might have if she is married to a UK national) then I would say yes they are obliged to grant the leave and hold the job open. If her visa status is in question, it might be a different matter, because the employer will argue why should they hold open her job if she isn't going to be able to return to it anyway? I suppose you can argue that by the end of her maternity leave she may well have her visa status sorted out.

Looking at it from another angle, I am guessing she is on a fixed term or temporary contract, in which case she is probably in the same position as anyone else on that kind of contract who is pregnant. (Can't say off the top of my head what exactly that would be, but should be pretty easy to find out - most likely they don't have to hold the job open).

• Banned

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 12:03:19 PM »
This is the thing.  The working holidaymaker visa means she can only work for 12 months in 24, so she is no longer legally entitled to work...I can't see that she would be allowed to get maternity benefits then.

However, as you say, she is on a normal contract.

Ah well, I've told her my opinion and directed her to the DWP...they are bound to know  :P

Vicky

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 12:07:05 PM »
By the time DWP makes a decision she will have been here long enough to get ILR anyway!! Be interesting to know what they say.

Sponsored Links