Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: 2 cats, 1 cat, 2 cats!  (Read 1645 times)

• Stupid bed!
  • Liked: 0
2 cats, 1 cat, 2 cats!
« on: November 29, 2005, 08:08:55 AM »
When I started the whole job-hunting-in-the-UK, I had three cats. I knew Ms. Emma (12 years old) would never make the trip as she was in failing health and moved on to kitty heaven in September.  I planned to bring Ize, my black five year old lady, and Butch, the two year old male who is "special" (okay, the dumbest cat I've ever seen! Sweet but very dumb!) with me. But, then, I started thinking about how much it would cost and yada yada yada. Also, Butch really wants to be an indoor-outdoor cat and I was worried about him being in the city ('cause he's not very bright).

So, I decided to try to find a loving family to keep him here, someone rural where he could happily chase things but come in for some love when he wants. And, I found such a family...my niece's friend who has known Butch since we got him and has always loved him. So, she said that they were going out of town for Thanksgiving and would I keep him until after the holiday...sure, no problem.

Well, the little beast must have overheard my conversation because he has spent the last ten days alternately giving me the evil eye and snuggling up to me! So, I couldn't do it! (Guilt gets me every time!) He was my mom's cat (she passed away last Feb.) and I just feel like he's my last link to her. So, I'll just suck up the money issue and bring him over. And, my brother's girlfriend has offered to keep both cats until June since I'm getting a late start on the whole vet process! It'll work out, I guess...
Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age
               - Victor Hugo-
Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
The leading cause of death among fashion models is falling
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

• Going somewhere doesn't take you anyplace else.
  • Liked: 1
Re: 2 cats, 1 cat, 2 cats!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:35:45 PM »
I understand Paula! I had a very similar situation, losing my older female to kidney failure last year  and then (thinking all of this would go faster) finding another home for my swet but not-so-bright male, leaving just one, ridiculously neurotic and now quite lonely Albus. I am sure whatever you choose to do will work out. Good luck. You're not alone! :)
The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give to it.       ~Author Unknown

2006 Work Permit -> 2011 ILR -> 2012 Dual Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:22:12 PM »
Well, the little beast must have overheard my conversation because he has spent the last ten days alternately giving me the evil eye and snuggling up to me!

I dunno, Paula... he doesn't sound so dumb to me.  ;)

Seriously though, I know how hard a decision it is.  My eldest cat (who is the most infuriating animal on the planet and purposely drives me insane every chance the furry little bugger gets) has almost been shipped out to other homes twice, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't get rid of the little twerp.

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »
I dunno, Paula... he doesn't sound so dumb to me. ;)

You know, he's amazingly..er, stupid...about most things but then, every now and then, he surprises the hell out of us and does something really smart! I think it's just to keep us on our toes.  ;)

Seriously though, I know how hard a decision it is. My eldest cat (who is the most infuriating animal on the planet and purposely drives me insane every chance the furry little bugger gets) has almost been shipped out to other homes twice, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't get rid of the little twerp.

A couple of years, my dear "old lady" cat, Emma got really, really sick. She stopped eating, got incredibly weak, couldn't stand up, etc. I took her to the vet, spent a fortune running every test known to diagnose her, couldn't find anything wrong! So, the vet and I started to discuss euthanasia. I'm convinced Emma understood what we were talking about. She began eating, regained her strength, and was fine!  :o
               - Victor Hugo-
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 06:47:16 PM »
I just found Butch curled up in an open suitcase in my bedroom! Guess he's determined to NOT get left behind! Ize, on the other hand, is totally unconcerned about the whole packing thing. Wait'll they both find out they'll be staying here for an extra five months! Guess they'll make my life a living hell when I finally do bring them over!
               - Victor Hugo-
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 04:00:01 PM »
Finally took the cats to the vet and started the process! My vet is a wonderful woman, very kind and loving, but took forever to review the paperwork and get back to me on prices.  >:( But, implanted the microchips this morning and vaccinated them.

I warned the staff that my cats hate to be held and would probably be very combative during the procedure. And, of course, they both stood there, good as gold, and didn't even flinch! I swear they do it on purpose to make me look like a moron!  :-[

So now, Ize is hiding under the bed (probably waiting for me to leave the room so she can pee on my bed as payback) and Butch is climbing all over his carrier, trying to figure out how to open it!  ;D
               - Victor Hugo-
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 03:52:49 PM »
We just had the blood tests taken on Friday--a bit trickier as the microchip/vaccination procedures, because they take the blood from the front paw and cats aren't too fond of having their front paws held still for any longer than a second!
MrCat (who went first) didn't mind too much, and the vet was great, he didn't even flinch as she inserted the needle.

MsCat, however, was an entirely different cup of tea. As the queen of the universe, she did NOT want her paw held by ANY vet.
First MrCoffee tried holding her. That didn't work. Then I did. That didn't work either (well, I wasn't expecting to get *my* blood drawn...). Then the vet got a towel, and we packaged her up very tightly. That did the trick! She didn't notice the actual needle either, I think she was more concerned about getting control of her paw back.

They do sedate cats for the blood tests if necessary, but I didn't want to put them through that, and especially as MrCat handled it just fine, I didn't want to have to sedate MsCat and then have MrCat worry about her not being awake! (that happened when I got her fixed, he was trying to get her to play with her and she just wouldn't wake up... he was so confused and worried... so sad and touching it made me cry).

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 04:31:38 PM »
I actually plan to take their favorite towels with me to wrap them in when we go for the blood draw. I know they won't be happy but I will give them their extra special treats afterwards so maybe they won't be too p*ssed!  ;)
               - Victor Hugo-
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 08:41:21 PM »
Oh how I envy cat owner whose cats are angels at the vet!  Mine turns into pure evil and I've had two different vets refuse to touch her unless she is sedated (as they did for the blood draw!).  She's only had one vet who had the guts to get an assistant, put the gloves on and wrestle her.   the irony is, is that we hand reared our cat and she will put up with anything from us, particularly from my kids (my son wears her on his head regularly) and she is a very affectionate thing.  Too bad no one believes us!

• One day.......
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 03:59:08 AM »
So now, Ize is hiding under the bed (probably waiting for me to leave the room so she can pee on my bed as payback)

lol, thought my cat was the only one that gets revenge by peeing on my bed.
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.”

• Stupid bed!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 12:43:59 PM »
lol, thought my cat was the only one that gets revenge by peeing on my bed.

I guess it could be worse....she could pee on my pillow! But then I'd have to kill her...  ;)
               - Victor Hugo-
.......in another city.
              -George Burns-
through street grates.
               - Dave Barry -

Sponsored Links