Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Credit Card- Charges for International Charges  (Read 1219 times)

• Liked: 0
US Credit Card- Charges for International Charges
« on: November 29, 2005, 04:26:24 PM »
my NatWest Credit card charged me horrible fees for international purchases.  I switched to a Nationwide Credit Card which has less fees.

I have a Bank of America credit card in the USA.  it is horrible with international charges.  i've looked online for US based credit cards that don't charge horrible conversion fees.  can't find anything anywhere.  any insight/suggestion?
If you harbour bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

Re: US Credit Card- Charges for International Charges
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 04:34:39 PM »
I used a Chase credit card, which charged me the exchange rate at the time of purchase +1%.  It wasn't too bad, cos I wasn't making HUGE purchases. 

Also check out this post and the responses:
newcomer link: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/537027 [nonactive]
newcomer link: http://www.fatwallet.com/t/52/272730 [nonactive]

Good luck!  I just got a credit card for 0% purchases for a while, screwing my credit history but saving my neck in the short term.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:38:39 PM »
Bank of America charges me 3%.  This 3% is added up for all the international purchases at the end of the month and charged as one lump sum.

Many of the Chase cards I looked at had an annual fee.

It's hard to find b/c international fees aren't often listed in the opening comparison of a credit card.

• The Two Crabs
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »
I have a Mastercard issued by a U.S. credit union (Kinecta) that does NOT charge any extra fees for international charges! I use it whenever we travel to "continental" Europe. (For UK purchases, I use my HSBC card and just pay it off each month).  I periodically inquire about the future of this card but at this moment they have no plans to tack on the 3% fee currency exchange charged by most banks nowadays. 
------------------------

www.twocrabs.com - A wanderlust American couple living in London and exploring the world...one pub at a time!

*Washington, D.C. to London, 22 August 2005.*

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 08:47:46 AM »
thanks for all your suggestions.  i used the fatwallet forum to find the schwab card.  it does charge 1%, but since i already have a schwab acct, it's linked etc. 

i have a US credit card that charges 1% for international purchases, and a UK one that charges nothing (nationwide).  i'll try and use my nationwide for most non-US and non-UK purchases.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 11:55:33 AM »
This is relatively new, as I got into a lively discussion with MBNA after they started tacking on 3%. without warning.  My US Diners Club/Mastercard charges me 2%, but I've lucked out with the account from my US credit union giving me the interbank exchange rate, and not tacking in an additional fee.

Sponsored Links