Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: MEXICAN food you say???  (Read 1915 times)

MEXICAN food you say???
« on: November 03, 2003, 06:38:20 AM »
Can I just say.. brits in Shropshire don't have the first clue about mexican food.. or even new mexico, or tex mexican food.  On my first visit there a few years back, I was saddened to find that there was no mexican food restaurant anywhere close.  I talked about the possibility of opening up my own restaurant when I moved there.  

Somebody beat me to it... sort of.

This past winter, I heard that the first mexican food restaurant in the county was to be opened in a few weeks' time.  I was overjoyed and decided we'd go the opening night.

We turned up opening evening and within 10 seconds of stepping into the place, I was already convinced they had absolutely no idea about authentic mexican cuisine.

I've never been so amused in all my life. :)

I won't bore you with all the details.. I will just say that the menu consisted NOT of enchiladas, empenadas, abondigas, green chile, fajitas, or anything else even SLIGHTLY representative of mexican food.  It did, however, offer up mushroom and red wine steak, white rice, garlic bread, cappucino, wines from all over europe, lamb, and guacamole which appeared to be made from peas  :o  Everything about it was executed so bad as to be insulting to anyone that had a clue.  

The local newspaper raved about it and it seems to be doing quite good business.  It's just a shame the county still is without mexican food.  I'll have to show them how it's done. :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: MEXICAN food you say???
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 09:52:58 AM »
I went to a place in Swindown called Jalapenos...at first really excited about the prospect of Mexican so nearby. The atmosphere was in keeping and at the next table was a group of American men, apparently here on business, possibly feeling equally chuffed they found a Mexican restaurant.

Don't go.  :P

Their idea of mexican is "Too hot to eat". A beef chimichanga is filled with 3-alarm chili (complete with beans)...yet I think they ran out of Mexican flavoring because it was so tomatoey that I actually think they took bolognese and added chili peppers. And as I recall, it was more pillau rice than Mexican rice.

The whole thing really seemed like they took an idea and tried to recreate it with ingredients that were so far from being Mexican that the end result was anything but.

They may have had Corona. Can't recall now. I couldn't leave there fast enough.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 03:48:47 PM »
Sounds like your experience wasn't much better than mine.  I WISH I could've left sooner but it took them nearly an hour and a half to bring out our food!  Besides which, it was kind of amusing making fun of how bad the whole experience was.

I told them I was mexican and from Arizona.. they offered me a chef's position. ;)

I mean really.. a WINE LIST and no margaritas?  

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 04:00:58 PM »
I'm pretty lucky because we have a fab tex-mex restaurant just 10 minutes walk from us. And there is another really good mexican restaurant in Leeds city centre (who have the best margaritas).

Sadly both of these restaurants charge up the wazoo which only goes to show you how precious mexican food really is.

Anyhow, if anyone comes up north, I'll take them to Caliente Cafe where they'll have the most mouth watering fajitas.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 09:46:26 PM »
I'll have to take you up on that offer if I ever find myself in Leeds.  I've heard that Birmingham is supposed to have a decent mexican food restaurant, but even so that's an hour train ride away.  A bit far to go for a meal.   ::)

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 03:02:43 PM »
I'll have to take you up on that offer if I ever find myself in Leeds.  I've heard that Birmingham is supposed to have a decent mexican food restaurant, but even so that's an hour train ride away.  A bit far to go for a meal.   ::)

Not if you're desperate.  ;D
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 05:12:17 PM »
Very true.. maybe if I'm living there, we'll make it a once a month or once every two weeks deal ;)  That is.. if it's any good!

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 01:27:21 PM »
[smiley=laugh4.gif]hahahaha
Mexican food in England is about as good as their "American-style" anything.

(this is why i cook at home for us a lot...)

anyway, there is a LOVELY Mexican restaurant in Derby called "Pepito's"...  great fajitas, although you don't get a "cold plate" with lettuce, cheese, s/c etc unless you request it.

they also have some Mexican tequillas, beers, etc.

It is run by Mexican people, and is very good.

Pepitos Mexican Restaurant
127 London Rd, Derby, Derbyshire, DE1 2QN
Tel: 01332 360663

if you like Mexican food, and are in the area, i highly reccomend it. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

friendly staff, nice atmosphere (not great, but was clean, etc.), and the wait for the food wasn't very long.

i'd also recommend making a reservation, just to guarantee a table if it is busy...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 01:32:56 PM by Lost_Angel »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 10:03:19 AM »
I've gone by Pepito's Mexican Restaurant Loads of times!
I've haven't stopped in there yet, but have thought about it.
I guess one of the reason's i haven't stopped in is because i'm afraid a mexican food craving will be ruined by a crap meal.....i shouldn't really judge it till i've been in and tried it.

I was at a non-mexican food restaurant once and seen that they had salsa and chips for a starter....i thought mmm that sounds good.  When i got it, it was a nice good plate of tortilla chips...but the salsa was revolting.  The salsa came in one of those little containers (like grape jelly comes in) and tasted like ketchup with bits in it :-X....it was made by heinz ???
I like to cook so i normally make my own mexican food from scratch....
that way it's made the way that i like. ;)

Thanks Lost_Angel for the review of Pepinto's restaurant, it sounds like a place to try out and knowing that it has a good review definitely gives me an incentive to get up there and try it.

-bob

• Fanny means WOT?
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2003, 02:19:24 AM »
There was a Mexican food place in Chester. My in-laws asked if I wanted to go. Now, why on Earth would I want to go to a place in ENGLAND for Mexican food? I'm from Texas--San Antonio to boot--there is absolutely no way I'd eat Mexican food in England. Sure, the Chinese food may be good, but it isn't China, or the Indian food may be good (says you) but it isn't India. But you're not draggin' my butt into a Mexican food restaurant in England. You'd screw up every memory of flavour that I've ever encountered.

Blecch.

Beth
Met hub online 6 years ago and have been married for 5. Yeah...one of "those" couples. : )

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2003, 02:51:15 PM »
I usually cook Mexican once a week.  Buy the necessary ingredients and make a chilli to go with my tacos or enchiladas.  Sour cream on the side and guacamole. Mmmmm yummy.  I made sure a few days before I left NYC that my friends and I went to a mexican restaurant!  Just about a month left till I'm in NY again...than I'll invade the pizzeria shops, sushi, spanish, greek ....you name it, I'll be there.  

A great recipe site I came across is ...http://allrecipes.com/

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2003, 10:14:53 PM »
There was a Mexican food place in Chester. My in-laws asked if I wanted to go. Now, why on Earth would I want to go to a place in ENGLAND for Mexican food? I'm from Texas--San Antonio to boot--there is absolutely no way I'd eat Mexican food in England. Sure, the Chinese food may be good, but it isn't China, or the Indian food may be good (says you) but it isn't India. But you're not draggin' my butt into a Mexican food restaurant in England. You'd screw up every memory of flavour that I've ever encountered.

Blecch.

Beth

I don't think Mexican food would be the same anywhere outside of Texas. [smiley=cowboy.gif] I LOVE my Tex-Mex. ;D

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2003, 10:22:27 PM »

I don't think Mexican food would be the same anywhere outside of Texas. [smiley=cowboy.gif] I LOVE my Tex-Mex. ;D

Ahem. . .  California ain' too shabby either! OH HOW I MISS GOOD MEXICAN  [smiley=sunny.gif]
Melissa (numero dos)  ;D

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2003, 10:45:01 PM »

Ahem. . .  California ain' too shabby either!

True. Ok so California can be included..but no one else. :P hehe

Melissa (numero dos)  

So does that make me numero uno?  ;D nah...I'm just the other Melissa. :P

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2003, 11:00:51 PM »

So does that make me numero uno?  ;D nah...I'm just the other Melissa. :P

Si seniora  ;) (I love your name!!!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab