Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling with birds  (Read 1522 times)

• Liked: 0
Traveling with birds
« on: December 10, 2005, 06:20:20 PM »
As mentioned in my other thread here, I've got six birds that I would hate to have to leave behind. One of them has had an especially unstable past and I hate the thought of putting him into yet another home.

The birds in question are four budgies and two cockatiels. (If you're interested in seeing pictures, I have tons here: http://www.livejournal.com/community/parrot_lovers/1448418.html )

Has anyone ever traveled with birds? From what I gather the rule is that you can take up to six per family (two per person) and budgies and cockatiels are allowed. But with the reason bird flu scare there seem to be new restrictions. :( If you've done this or are in the process and have anything to share, I'd really appreciate it! I really really don't want to lose my little featherheads. They (along with my dog) have brought me through some really tough times. I don't even know for sure that I'm moving to the UK but recently, it's started to look like the best option. :/

• The Grass isnt always greener
Re: Traveling with birds
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »
have you contacted DEFRA to see if theres a current ban on US. domestic birds? i havent checked lately - let me know

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 04:33:57 PM »
Richard just got off the phone with his local animal services...whatever it's called, lol. The lady was VERY helpful with everything and it doesn't look like there is any sort of ban on pet birds from the US. She said it's usually easier to do than it sounds like and she's emailing lots of information that he will forward to me. I'll let you know when I find out more. :)

• I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 11:20:45 AM »
Hello,
We moved from the UK to Singapore last year with our 4 parrots. In April, we'll be moving back to England with our 4 parrots. There is a lot of paperwork to be done and the EU has now set out some new regulations regarding the import of pet birds.

You'll need import and export licenses from the 2 countries involved.

You'll more than likely need CITES permits as well (I can't remember if budgies and cockatiels are CITES listed, but you should check with CITES to find out for sure).

You'll have to fulfill one of the 4 (new) conditions set out by the EU. You can obtain this informaiton from DEFRA.

You'll also need health certificates for your birds before they travel (health check usually needs to be done no earlier than 48 hours before departure) and they will have to be checked by DEFRA approved avian vets at least twice during the 35 day quarantine period.

Currently, DEFRA are still allowing pet birds to be quarantined in your home (as opposed to an official quarantine facility.)

Most of the paperwork needs to be done in a specific order (meaning in most cases, you have to be granted one permit before applying for the next). Most of the permits or licenses have 30-90 validity periods, so the timing of each needs to be right.

We are using a pet relocator to handle all of the paperwork and details, which I highly suggest you do, if it's within your budget. Otherwise, DEFRA is quite helpful.

Also, some airlines are not allowing birds on the planes, so you may have to do some research on that aspect. We'll be using BA from Singapore to the UK--not the best airline, but they do allow birds at this time.

If you want to correspond offlist, let me know.

Good luck!
Reality is the leading cause of stress.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 01:39:58 PM »
Thanks for your reply. The animal health dept. in the UK has been very very helpful to us so far. It doesn't look like I'll need CITES permits for the birds but I am having trouble finding an airport that still allows birds on overseas flights.

Do you know any specifics about how quarantine is supposed to be carried out?

• I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 07:18:05 PM »
I'm afraid I don't know much about the current situation with US-UK flights. Our pet relocator informed me last week that BA was still allowing birds on their flights (not in the cabin) from Singapore, so maybe you could check with them.

About a year ago, Continental was a good choice, but I don't know about their recent procedures. Also, KLM are suppose to be good with animals, but I don't know what their stance is right now with Avian Flu.

As far as the quarantine, the UK allow an in-home quarantine (I believe it's 35 days) provided that the inspector at the airport says they appear to be in good health. The home (quarantine premises) cannot have any other birds in the house or anyone who lives/visits the house who works with (or is around) birds. A DEFRA approved vet will have to check your birds within the first 24-48 hours (can't remember exactly) and again towards the end of the quarantine. They also have the right to inspect your birds at any other time. However, they can change the quarantine procedure at any time, so you have to keep your fingers crossed at all times.

I haven't actually experienced the quarantine on the UK side yet, but that is how it's laid out by DEFRA.

Here are the new EU guidelines for bringing in a pet bird to the UK--of which, you have to fulfill at least one (along with the other documentation and permits). We have decided on the 4th option.

You can bring the birds into the UK if you can fulfil one of the following conditions:

·        The bird(s)have undergone a 30 days pre-export isolation at the place of departure in a third country listed in Decision 79/542/EEC, (unofficial consolidated version) or

·   The bird(s) have been subjected to a 30 days post-import quarantine in the Member State of destination on premises approved in accordance with Article 3 (4) of Decision 2000/666/EC , or

·   The bird(s) have been vaccinated and at least on one occasion revaccinated within the last six months and not later than 60 days prior to dispatch, in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions against avian influenza using an H5 vaccine approved for the species concerned, or

·   The bird(s) have been isolated for at least 10 days prior to export and have been subjected to a test for the detection of H5N1 antigen or genome, as prescribed in Chapter 2.1.14 of the Manual of Diagnostic Tests and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals carried out on a sample taken not earlier than on the third day of isolation.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab