Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Votage Transformers  (Read 2344 times)

• Liked: 0
Votage Transformers
« on: November 05, 2003, 09:14:32 AM »
Not sure if this subject has been covered before...

I'm curious if any one has purchased and used a votage transformer.  If you have, does it seem to work alright....are there any problems that i should know about?

With my trip back home coming up soon...I want to pick up my juicer(410 watts) that i wasn't able to bring along when i moved out here.
After following some links from the Americana section of UKY,
it looks like i can get a transformer cheapest by ordering from a US site and having it shipped to my parents house and then picking it up when i go for there for thanksgiving.

So if anyone has any experience with using transformers i'd like to hear your general thoughts on using them.
:)
thanks
-bob

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
Re: Votage Transformers
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 09:45:27 AM »
I had one and it extended the life of my appliance by a week.
I wouldn't recommend them.

You'll find appliance here are pretty darn good...certainly have more 'juice' than American appliances.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 10:03:35 PM »
I bought a transformer when I moved because my stereo system was much better than my husband to be and I wanted my computer/monitor hooked up. It worked just fine for me.

Only problems I had, if you can call them problems, is that the transformer itself ran really hot and I was worried about fire (probably an old fear from dodgy wiring at previous US apartments).  Also it had a bit of a hum to it when on so it could be a bit distracting.

I've eventually lost dependance on it because our stereo stuff (and my computer) has been upgraded but it lasted me a good year or so.

But like LisaE said, I've found replacing most items to be the best way to go...if affordable, of course.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 12:05:19 AM »
The thing is i havn't been back to visit back home since i've moved here a year and a half ago.
I know that i can live without a lot of things that i left behind.  I love the taste of fresh juice from a juicer....but i havn't bought a new juicer here because i only had my juicer back home for about a year before i moved here.  
My parents bought it for me as a christmas gift...and they spent a a fair deal on it....i really appreciated it.  
To buy a new one here is at the same standard as the one i have in the states would be well expensive...plus if i bought a new one i would feel bad about the fact that my parents had bought me the other one and now i've just thrown it into storage.  
I really want to use it.  I think I'll try out a transformer any way....just buy one that is at least double the wattage that i need.
And as for what Lynne said:
"Also it had a bit of a hum to it when on so it could be a bit distracting."  
If i'm using a juicer that makes quite a bit of noise....plus i would only need to have it plugged in during the duration of the juicing.....so i guess a hum noise shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks
-bob

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 09:18:59 PM »
I can truly understand your wanting to use this juicer. I had an Oster that I loved, a real workhorse. And I fresh-squeeze my juice all the time...for fresh orange juice and lemonade. Got to, was spoiled in Florida! (But I use a real cheap one I got here and it's plenty fine. My Oster is in storage in the garage. I just don't want to take a chance on ruining it.)

My transformer ran really hot and hummed as well. It's when you hear a sudden crack and smoke starts coming out is when you've wasted both the appliance and the transformer.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 09:30:32 PM »

...It's when you hear a sudden crack and smoke starts coming out is when you've wasted both the appliance and the transformer.
  :-/ ooh yeah.....that's something I'd hate to happen.  I don't want to risk that.

Thanks LisaE and Lynne for your imput...it's been helpful. :)

thanks
-bob

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab