Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: pickles and crackers..not together!  (Read 3026 times)

• Philadelphia, PA to York in 2000
  • Liked: 1
pickles and crackers..not together!
« on: November 05, 2003, 03:40:18 PM »
Apologies for starting a new topic but I am dying for some decent saltines or kosher dill pickles (like Claussens) and am getting tired of buying items with false hopes....and leaving them for the husband to eat.

I know I read on here somewhere before that these items had been found in the UK but finding the messages again is almost as difficult as the actual things!!

I usually shop at Tesco's and have found comfort in their bagels and pretzels but darn it....I want a decent pickle that isn't sweet & sour or taste like bitter vinegar and I want one now! Can anyone help??? I don't want to have to try and smuggle them into the country!

Thanks!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: pickles and crackers..not together!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 04:03:06 PM »
My Sainsbury's used to stock saltines, but not any more as of about 2 months ago.   :'(  If you find them - let me know!  
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 04:17:42 PM »
Both my local Tesco and Sainsburys used to stock 'American' saltines, but they seemed to have stopped.  I have found one brand of Italian crackers that is pretty close to saltines.  I can't remember its name right now, but the next time I got to the store, I'll look for it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2003, 04:18:07 PM by Caitlinn »
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• California Dreamin'
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 06:48:14 PM »
Hubby used to get saltines for me at Tesco and they were called "American Snack Crackers" (we still laugh at that one).

Unfortunately, as everyone seems to have said, we can't find them anymore.  :(

Amazing the things you never thought you'd miss...
Cake or death? Cake please!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 07:52:48 PM »
Not really the same thing but you can get original goldfish from Selfridges (and cheddar ones if you like that sort of thing).  You can't really put peanut butter on them, but they do in a pinch if you want something for soup, etc.  :)

There are some good Jewish shops in Golders Green that sell decent pickles.  I can go hunting for them one day with you if you like!

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 09:32:53 PM »
Must have been an old message then about the saltines.  :'( I'm trying to break my cookie habit at work and figured saltines would be great to snack on during the day. Maybe I'll bring some "Penn State" pretzels instead until saltines make it back onto these shores. Will keep looking for those "american snack crackers". LOL!  And Goldfish too! (Not too keen on the cheddar ones though)

Where exactly is Golders Green? I'm assuming London but I don't get down there that often. Will be towards the end of December to see All About Eve but not sure if the other half will mind going pickle shopping!!! I would be curious, Wishstar, if you could tell me if there are some decent pickles there. Thanks for the offer but certainly don't go out of your way!

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 08:50:09 AM »
Nah, it's not out of my way at all!  I go past there everyday on my way into work.  Golders Green is North west London....on the Northern Line.  It's a big Jewish community so it's *the* spot for all things kosher - including pickles.  :)  It's also a great spot for bagels, pretzles and many other "American" items such as Jif peanut butter, aunt jemima syrup, etc because lots of that stuff is imported from the US because it is kosher, apparently.

Good luck in your hunting!  :)

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 11:39:02 AM »
Oh no! On my last visit to the US I didn't stock up on my normal saltines because I knew Tesco had a very good equivalent. They don't stock them now? Oh I am mortified. Simply crestfallen.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 02:53:09 PM »
I have found one brand of Italian crackers that is pretty close to saltines.  I can't remember its name right now, but the next time I got to the store, I'll look for it.

The crackers are called Doriano Italian Crackers.  They are in a dark brown package with golden yellow writing.  They aren't exactly like saltines, but pretty darn close; the biggest difference being that they are a bit harder than saltines.  I have only been able to find them in Tesco.

• My little cutie
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2003, 12:06:28 PM »
I found Sunshine saltines in COSTCOS granted you have to have memebership or know someone who does but it is worth it

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 01:45:13 PM »
Hubby used to get saltines for me at Tesco and they were called "American Snack Crackers" (we still laugh at that one).

Unfortunately, as everyone seems to have said, we can't find them anymore.  :(

Amazing the things you never thought you'd miss...

lol
[smiley=laugh4.gif]"American Snack Crackers"...

yeah, i have seen them at Somerfield's...  just last week.

also, i have heard that Costco's has a bunch of American foods.  an American friend of mine bought a huuuuge barrel of JIF peanut butter from there.  they also carry good microwave popcorn like ActII, i think.  i need to go there soon!!!

pickles...   mmm...  Clausen....  aaah...
these nasty little gherkins suck.  great idea by Wishstar to go to a jewish shop for kosher dills... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
i'll have to keep an eye open for one...
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 04:05:33 PM »
The crackers are called Doriano Italian Crackers.  They are in a dark brown package with golden yellow writing.  They aren't exactly like saltines, but pretty darn close; the biggest difference being that they are a bit harder than saltines.  I have only been able to find them in Tesco.

I did finally buy some Doriano crackers and they are certainly hitting the spot! Thanks so much for the tip!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  

The husband isn't very keen on salt at all anyway and was scared to try them because I told him how happy I was that they were so similar to proper saltines....only for him to later say 'these aren't salty at all!'  and how much he liked them. ;)  He just wants them a bit bigger to hold more cheese.  ;D Will definitely keep these on the shopping list!  :D

Now to find a jewish shop nearby......

• Witchiepoo
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 05:20:12 PM »
I did finally buy some Doriano crackers and they are certainly hitting the spot! Thanks so much for the tip!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

You're certainly welcome!  Glad they hit the spot.

I wish they were a bit more salty, but hey, you can't have everything.  Besides, they crumble up nicely in my soup   ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 05:20:57 PM by Caitlinn »

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 01:04:41 AM »
There's a store here in town that sells saltines, Made in America from Boston!! Only 39p for a small box of them!! yum!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 07:36:31 PM »
So funny about the Doriano crackers. I thought I'd found a real coup and was coming here to tell y'all about  them!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab